Cruse Roll Off Switch Stuck : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Tyronewildman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question Cruse Roll Off Switch Stuck

I believe that my cruse roll off switch is stuck in the forced roll off position and my throttle has about 3/8" extra throttle slack & I can't feel any spring loaded spring return from rolling off past idle and the cruse won't set. My question is; can I get into the roll off switch and repair/lube it so it again works as it should and if I can, how? Thanks for your answers, De
Tyronewildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 09:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Mike5380 wants to know Dino or Syn?
If your throttle is fully forward where your cruse control will roll off, doesn't that also mean that the rear cylinder is shutting down?

The ETIMS kicks in when you roll the throttle fully forward like that, so you can shut down the rear cylinder when in heavy traffic, part of the heat management system.

At any rate, I'd take it apart and see what the problem is as soon as possible.

Mike
Mike5380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

wtcardr wants to know Dino or Syn?
De, you have. Electronic throttle. May be sensor problem.
wtcardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, it's my buddies '07 Road King Classic with throttle cables and cruse. The throttle roll off switch is built into the throttle return cable and is located under the tank near the front of the tank. I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and did repair the stuck roll off switch assy? Later, De
Old 04-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
0043--Licensed to Doof!

Geezer-Glide wants to know Dino or Syn?
There's no repair for the switch. Replace the return cable. Also, check where the return cable goes into it's bracket on your carb/injection module. Make sure it didn't jump out of it's little seat.

I Doof, therefore I am.

D.F.F.D

THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. YOU MAY NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED PROGRAMMING. THANK YOU.
Geezer-Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Barney Biker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't know about the throttle slack but you can unplug the roll off switch and it will work that way

Barney Biker
07 EG
PGR
Barney Biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
Faithful to the bottle

THEStinger wants to know Dino or Syn?
Before assuming its bad try putting an ohm meter across it and see if it has continuity all the time if so then its bad. If not then I would suspect that you need to perform the cable lash adjustment on the cruze module. That's explained in detail in the service manual.

Jeff "Stinger" Brown
www.stingerphoto.net
Column: "Stingers Heavy Metal"
Thunder Roads Magazine- Northern California and OHIO
Staff Photographer, Writer, Reviewer
THEStinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5380 View Post
If your throttle is fully forward where your cruse control will roll off, doesn't that also mean that the rear cylinder is shutting down?

The ETIMS kicks in when you roll the throttle fully forward like that, so you can shut down the rear cylinder when in heavy traffic, part of the heat management system.

At any rate, I'd take it apart and see what the problem is as soon as possible.

Mike
Thanks for the replies. Mike, didn't the ETIMS come out with the '08, and their electronic throttle. This is an '07 and it seems to run fine except for the throttle slack and the cruse won't set. We'll tear into the return throttle cable roll off switch and see if it can be repaired. Just maybe a squirt of 3n1 oil will unstick it. then again, there must be a small spring in the switch (to bring the throttle back from the forced roll off to idle position) and maybe, the spring is broke. We'll see! De
Old 04-26-2011, 07:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Ender

Pikeslayer wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had to unplug mine.
Hobanized Crank, Axtell 117" cylinders, CP flat tops, 10.6:1 CR, Woods TW8, R&R cast heads, R&R roller rockers, HPI 51mm T/B, 4.9 g/s SE injectors, D&D Fat Cat 2into1 QB, Rivera Pro Clutch, Evo Industries 49T, Tuned by Big Boyz
Pikeslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

zanolli wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 2003 RKC with Cruise - the roll off went out once and cruise would not work (could not set it). I didn't notice any extra slack in forward position though. Try unplugging roll off switch and you may be able to set cruise again - Of course rolling off the throttle will not turn off but applying brakes should.

I replaced the throttle cable with the roll off switch and it fixed it.
zanolli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement