Road King Cruise Control : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

biker9503 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Road King Cruise Control

The C/C module on my 2003 Road King Classic is bad. A new one is $300+ and I don't want to spend that much. Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket CC modules available, or if I can get a working one off a wreck for a few less bucks? Or am I just
biker9503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2010, 07:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Coolmaker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Factory or a wreck are your only choices that I know of...
Old 06-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Harleypingman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Are you sure the module is bad? Cruise control will malfunction for reasons other than a bad module.

If you need a replacement, go to a local dealer and ask them to use their parts locator on h-d net (that's HD's intranet that tracks inventory at dealers) to find the cruise control kit/part you'd use on your bike, then call the dealers and see if you can buy one at a hefty discount. I've done this in the past and have gotten good discounts since the part has probably been sitting on the dealer's shelf for a good long while and they want to move it.

CMA, Crossties Chapter (GA)
IBA 26580
2004 FLHTPX
Harleypingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Zwiehund wants to know Dino or Syn?
There are aftermarket CC's, much more than $300.

http://www.mccruise.com/
Zwiehund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwiehund View Post
There are aftermarket CC's, much more than $300.

http://www.mccruise.com/
That is an aftermarket cruise add-on... Not the same as a factory Harley..
Old 06-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

If you can tell us what it is (or not) doing, we might be able to help you troubleshoot it..
Old 06-09-2010, 03:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

It is the module. I just picked my bikes up from routine maintenance and my service guy is 100% sure it's the module.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolmaker View Post
If you can tell us what it is (or not) doing, we might be able to help you troubleshoot it..
When I activate the C/C (left side switch), the red light comes on like normal, but when I try to set the speed (right side switch), I get no green light and no cruise.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

rustynuts wants to know Dino or Syn?
Is this something that just happened or has it not worked for a while? Any chance you just changed or adjusted thottle cables? Mine didn't work when I purchased my Road Glide, but after adjusting the throttle cable it worked. Make sure it has the correct throttle cable with the little module that connects to the wires from the CC module. Good Luck
rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker9503 View Post
When I activate the C/C (left side switch), the red light comes on like normal, but when I try to set the speed (right side switch), I get no green light and no cruise.
There is a roll-off switch in the throttle cable just forward of the tank on the right side. Make a jumper, take the wires off the switch, install the jumper and see if it will then work.
Old 06-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

Harleypingman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by biker9503 View Post
It is the module. I just picked my bikes up from routine maintenance and my service guy is 100% sure it's the module.
Did the guy pull any diagnostic trouble codes? They will help identify the problem.

Typically, the cause of what you describe is the throttle roll-off switch located as described in an earlier post, just forward of the gas tank. You can disconnect the two leads and try riding the bike and engaging cruise control. Like the brake lever and pedal, rolling off the throttle disengages the cruise control. If the roll-off switch malfunctions it disables the cruise control.

Can't say that modules never fail, but a bad roll-off switch is far more common and easily diagnosed. The same symptoms occur when the wires are pinched or shorted at the handlebars which often happens when wiring is extended for apes or chrome controls causing the brake light circuit to be closed.

CMA, Crossties Chapter (GA)
IBA 26580
2004 FLHTPX
Harleypingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
I almost replaced my CC module, then realized the problem was in the switch...

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
repeat offender

Flyin Brian wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolmaker View Post
There is a roll-off switch in the throttle cable just forward of the tank on the right side. Make a jumper, take the wires off the switch, install the jumper and see if it will then work.
This is incorrect. It will not work with a jumper installed.

Do like Pingman said and pull one of the connectors off the roll-off switch and see if you can get it to engage. If it works, you will need to replace the idle throttle cable. If it doesn't work, I would pull the CC module and take a look to see if the ribbon cable got messed up somehow.

This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable sub-atomic resources for future generations.
Flyin Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

alvarezrjjr wants to know Dino or Syn?
are there any any pic's of the roll off swich so I know what i'm looking for?
alvarezrjjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
repeat offender

Flyin Brian wants to know Dino or Syn?

This message has been sent to you using recycled electrons exclusively. Please do not discard them after use, send them along and help conserve these irreplaceable sub-atomic resources for future generations.
Flyin Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement