1988 Ultra Classic Gas Tank Replacement? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

chefkilz wants to know Dino or Syn?
1988 Ultra Classic Gas Tank Replacement?

Hi guys I have a 1988 ultra Classic that I am restoring and I want to replace the Gas Tank with a new model Tank What Tank would fit or can be made to fit ?
chefkilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Road_glider

ge6280 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Replacement

My first bagger was a 1988 and in 1989 I decided to changed my gas tank to the newer style too. I ordered a new 1989 tank from the dealership, fortunately the '89 Classic was offered in the same 2 tone paint so it was a perfect match. The front tank mounting was the same but I had to drill 2 holes and install blind nuts in back bone of the frame where the seat meets the gas tank. It was not a big deal except for the fact the dealership said it was a simple exchange. I reused the fuel tank sending unit and fuel petcock so that was all plug and play. Nearing the end of the project I discovered the old seat would not fit either. I purchase a new 1989 seat from the dealership that matched the existing tourpack. I have before and after pictures if you are interested. I would think there are several EVO years before they switched to fuel injection that would fit. IMHO it was well worth the expense and I got lots of comments and questions. Turns out I was the first one in Houston to attempt this project, not even the dealership had seen it done before. Fortunately with eBay this should be a much easier task today.

I am curious about one thing though, I thought HD did not introduce the Ultra Classic until 1989?

Good Luck

Last edited by ge6280; 03-21-2010 at 08:53 PM.
ge6280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

chefkilz wants to know Dino or Syn?
tank replacement

well i thank you very much for your input and yes i would love to see some befor & after pics if you could email them to me to chefkilz@gmail.com, and about the ultra classic the guy i bought it from said he had upgrated the bike him self to a ultra classic basicly he just added some lights and crome trims thats it, i just got it cheap and try to make the best of it, the motor is a total rebuild and frame and all the bushings are new , i just finished tearing it down to the frame today and i will post some befor & after pics myself so thanks again and i am looking foreward to see your pictures.
chefkilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
ASA Lives

Ultra89Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
1988 did not have an Ultra model. The Ultra model began with the 1989 model year.
"lIgh tlhab"
(Ride Free)
. . . .
Ultra89Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement