2003 Ultra Classis Running Issues : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 12:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

EZ Ride wants to know Dino or Syn?
2003 Ultra Classis Running Issues

I have a 2003 Ultra Classic. I have not had a chance to ride it much this year. Last summer, I began having problems with the bike. As I would ride along, every once and a while, the bike would cut out for a few moments,as I twisted the throttle it would act like it was not getting fuel, then kick back in and run fine. I was getting ready for a trip and had a 20K service at local HD Dealership and asked that they put in a new fuel filter. Problem still not solved. I then took it to a local shop, they never could get the problem to show its face. I described the occassional cut out and they installed a new throttle position sensor. We took the bike on an 1800 mile trip. I may have had a hint of this problem twice, otherwise smooth run. This summer everytime I get on the
bike, I have it happen at least once, sometimes to the point that engine dies, not necessarily a good thing when pulling out into busy traffic. I then have to crank on the starter for several seconds to get it to start. I have ridden about 300 miles in the last three days. I start up the bike, which starts instantly. I ride down the road approximately a mile. When I come to a stop or slow idle speed, I can almost guarantee I will get a hesitation or
cut out, this morning it died. After I had ridden for several miles I don't seem to have any other problems. It quickly starts and seems to run out just fine, no other problems even at low rpms. I was told pulling the cables from the ECU would reset the computer. I attempted that this morning and still had the same result. Today it died starting out from a stop sign, then ran fine. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks.
EZ Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Flying low

DBotkin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Does this happen only as you are accelerating - or does it happen some of the time when cruising at a constant speed? Or only under a certain RPM? And, most important, has this behavior changed since the beginning? You could have a completely different problem than before. For example, you might have had a bad TPS before, and now have some other problem like a perforated fuel line inside the tank, or a bad fuel pump ground.

Intermittent problems like this can be a bitch to find. Mine had an oddball problem when we were on our road trip this year. Cruising at highway speed, suddenly the bike dies. No lights, no engine, no radio, gauges, nothing. Cycling the ignition switch OFF and back on brings everything back to life, and I figured out that it's resetting the ECM when it happens. Why? Beats the hell out of me. It happened anywhere from zero to 3 times a day, but never during anything other than steady speed, straight-line riding, thank God. This winter I'll pull the tank and fairing and have a good, long look at the wiring and grounds to see what I can find, but taking it to a shop would be a waste of time since they can't reproduce it.

Free, personalized travel maps at mytriplogs.com

DBotkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

claydbal is reading this now saying WTF is this?
dbotkin probably hit it with perforated fuel line. common issue, more noticable some days, less on others. amount of fuel in tank plays a part. then one day, it gets bad enough to put ya on the side of the road. even if this assumption is incorrect, you still need to replave the in-tank line and all o-rings, treat it as scheduled maintenance.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

EZ Ride wants to know Dino or Syn?
This happens when accelerating. I have yet to have it happen when I am at a constant speed. Thanks for your input.
EZ Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

pairofnines wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBotkin View Post

Intermittent problems like this can be a bitch to find. Mine had an oddball problem when we were on our road trip this year. Cruising at highway speed, suddenly the bike dies. No lights, no engine, no radio, gauges, nothing. Cycling the ignition switch OFF and back on brings everything back to life, and I figured out that it's resetting the ECM when it happens. Why? Beats the hell out of me. It happened anywhere from zero to 3 times a day, but never during anything other than steady speed, straight-line riding, thank God. This winter I'll pull the tank and fairing and have a good, long look at the wiring and grounds to see what I can find, but taking it to a shop would be a waste of time since they can't reproduce it.
Symptoms sound a lot like the main breaker which was a recall issue on the 03'. The breaker would trip due to excessive heat.

Mine started this way and over time it took longer and longer for it to reset when it tripped. Also the problem can be caused by a bad crimp on the battery cables causing enough heat build up to trip the main breaker. They re-crimped and soldered mine to eliminate the problem.

They replaced mine with a 50amp breaker under the recall -- and the new replacement was bad (weak) as well and had to be replaced a second time.

I carry a breaker in the tour pack now but have never needed it although a friend I was with on a trip did need it.
pairofnines is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

bigdadi44 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Where is the fuel level? I had a situation on a road trip with my 02 Road Glide where it would'nt idle or accelerate with less than 1/2 the tank filled. Turned out that the fuel lines in the tank had worn through and would suck air because of the fuel level. The HD shop in Salinas repaired it for me and got me home. The bad part is I had just had my local shop replace the fuel pump hose. They just forgot or neglected to replace the throttle body hose. I would check both hoses and replace them if needed.
bigdadi44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

Nitrain wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the exact same problem with a fuel injected 96 ultra classic. I have changed intake gaskets, cam sensor, plug wires, and now I'm getting the fuel filter changed and the tank cleaned out. Did you find the solution? I would appreciate any help,
Nitrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

brownfoxx1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
you might go thru the bikes electrical conntctions & give them a dab of diaelectrical grease. and check ground wires too
. just a thought.
brownfoxx1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Krayven Sumhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ Ride View Post
I have a 2003 Ultra Classic. I have not had a chance to ride it much this year. Last summer, I began having problems with the bike. As I would ride along, every once and a while, the bike would cut out for a few moments,as I twisted the throttle it would act like it was not getting fuel, then kick back in and run fine. I was getting ready for a trip and had a 20K service at local HD Dealership and asked that they put in a new fuel filter. Problem still not solved. I then took it to a local shop, they never could get the problem to show its face. I described the occassional cut out and they installed a new throttle position sensor. We took the bike on an 1800 mile trip. I may have had a hint of this problem twice, otherwise smooth run. This summer everytime I get on the
bike, I have it happen at least once, sometimes to the point that engine dies, not necessarily a good thing when pulling out into busy traffic. I then have to crank on the starter for several seconds to get it to start. I have ridden about 300 miles in the last three days. I start up the bike, which starts instantly. I ride down the road approximately a mile. When I come to a stop or slow idle speed, I can almost guarantee I will get a hesitation or
cut out, this morning it died. After I had ridden for several miles I don't seem to have any other problems. It quickly starts and seems to run out just fine, no other problems even at low rpms. I was told pulling the cables from the ECU would reset the computer. I attempted that this morning and still had the same result. Today it died starting out from a stop sign, then ran fine. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks.
I own the same scooter in black and silver.

I had an intermittent stumble at speed which ended up being a broken injector wire.

The wire was broken inside the insulation case so as the bike warmed the stumbling would become evident.

The scooter had the symptoms of fuel starvation (for good reason!)

Took 20,000 miles to finally fix it. 55,000 miles now.

The on-board computer didn't detect the wire fault, cuz as far as it was concerned, everything was within working parameters.
Krayven Sumhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

gb1500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
sounds like when my batt took a crap..proir...then crapped out...im going with a crappy kill switch a dirty/funny ignition sw or a crappy elec.connection....charred fuse...looks good but charcoled.....had a friend that had to put a larger amp fuses in to just get it to run
gb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 09:07 PM   #11 (permalink)

mjf54 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pairofnines View Post
Symptoms sound a lot like the main breaker which was a recall issue on the 03'. The breaker would trip due to excessive heat.

Mine started this way and over time it took longer and longer for it to reset when it tripped. Also the problem can be caused by a bad crimp on the battery cables causing enough heat build up to trip the main breaker. They re-crimped and soldered mine to eliminate the problem.

They replaced mine with a 50amp breaker under the recall -- and the new replacement was bad (weak) as well and had to be replaced a second time.

I carry a breaker in the tour pack now but have never needed it although a friend I was with on a trip did need it.
I had the same problem. Instead of the larger breaker the dealer put in a 50 amp maxi fuse. No hiccups since and I carry a spare fuse just in case.

Come to Wisconsin and smell our Dairy Airs
mjf54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
The 2003 touring models had a known problem with the rear injector wiring harness being slightly too short. Caused a sharp bend in the wire, just a few inches or so from the connector. Wire would break inside the insulation, hard to find.

I fixed 2 or 3 that way.

Krayven also apparently had that issue.

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 09:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

huricane wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have similar symptoms but not exactly. However, I think that I may have the same issue.

My 03 RK has ~12.5k miles and I have had intermittent cutouts with them happening mostly when I was downshifting at low speeds like turning a corner. I usually turn the start switch to off/then back to run which I think resets the fuel injection. Most of the time things are fine after that. This happens now and then but not every time I ride.

Does this sound like the known issue that HD has the fix for?
huricane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2012, 02:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by huricane View Post
I have similar symptoms but not exactly. However, I think that I may have the same issue.

My 03 RK has ~12.5k miles and I have had intermittent cutouts with them happening mostly when I was downshifting at low speeds like turning a corner. I usually turn the start switch to off/then back to run which I think resets the fuel injection. Most of the time things are fine after that. This happens now and then but not every time I ride.

Does this sound like the known issue that HD has the fix for?
Well, if you call taking it in and having the tech check this... then yes. The fix is to cut the wire where it is bad and solder in a longer length.

Yours isn't under warranty I'm guessing, so you'll have to pay by the hour. They won't fix it for free at this point.

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.