ABS light staying on : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2009, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

HogDreamer wants to know Dino or Syn?
ABS light staying on

My ABS light stays on once in a while which is a sign of a malfunction. I took it into the dealer right before Sturgis and they told me all the needed to do was an update to the ABS module. (The fix all for everything I guess)
Well, that evening the light stayed on again but the problem is intermittent. It only stayed lite about four times during my 1800 miles of riding to and from Sturgis. If I shut the bike down, cycle the ignition and start it up again, the light has always shut off like it should.
It does seem to happen more often when I back the bike up out of the garage before going forward down the driveway. I start the bike in the garage so the oil pressure can be up and ready to ride.
Anyone else have any issues with this happening with an ABS bike and what the fix was? I'm going to take it back into the dealership but I want it to happen more frequently so the problem can be found and remedied.
The bike is on 08 Ultra with only 25,000 miles.
HogDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Nobody's having ANY issues with their ABS? Well, I guess that is a good thing. My bike is going to the dealer tomorrow to see if they can fix it right this time. The next few days are supposed to be cold and rainy which is perfect opportunity to have to drive my truck in to work.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Moneygreen

arealinvestor wants to know where he is and how he got here
My local dealer told me about some ABS problems.He said they don't order bikes with ABS unless a customer wants one.He said to many guys were complaining about have issues with the ABS.When I asked what problems,he was real general saying that on some bikes the brakes were locking up!!!!

2010 Ultra Classic Hot Rod Built & Tuned by JD's
BB & Baisley Hybrid Heads with man/Comp releases
Axtell Pistons & Cylinders set with high comp,Big CCP
Darkhorse Stroker Crank,balanced,plugged & welded
Woods A/C kit & Lifters
T-Man gear crank set
High Flow HPI Inj & BB TBW Throttle body
D&D Boarzilla (perforated baffle)
Lenale cooling fan
Jagg 10 row oil cooler
K&P engineering oil filter
To much more to list!!!!!!
arealinvestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

navyman wants to know Dino or Syn?
32,000 miles with no ABS problems.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

CapeCodUltra wants to know Dino or Syn?
There was a dealer service ntoice about 08's with abs to bring them in and have the abs computer reflashed with updated programming which I had done by the dealer at 1000 miles, (9000 miles ago) I've never had your problem though either before or after the flash.
RJ

******** '08 Ultra ********

Crimson Red Sunglo / Candy Red Sunglo
Non-Amplified Antenna Inside fairing
Nostalgic style HD footboards and shifters
RUSH Slash down Slip-ons with 1.75 baffles
Kuryakyn Smoked Heat Shields
Quick Disconnect kit on lowers
XIED's
Wheeldock Center Stand
George's Tour Pac Relocator
Progressive Tour Link Stabilizer
12" Gray Cee Bailey Windshield
HD Backrest
Zummo 660
CapeCodUltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

chevele72 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I know at our dealer a bike came in with an ABS issue (intermittant light on) and it was caused by a faulty tach. FWIW Jody
chevele72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

jstevens2005 wants to know Dino or Syn?
2009 w/ ABS no problems here, I've heard nothing but good things about ABS. In fact I had to slam on the breaks the other day (was in traffic going 15 mph) on a two lane road that was backed up with congestion both ways.. (stop and go..) Anways i turned back to the wife after the car pulled out in front of me I slamed on the breaks, heard the ABS kick in stopped and I then turned around to my wife who was on the back and said "by the way Honey that $5-600.00 abs option that bought just paid for itself!".

You should have no issues with the light take it back to the dealer and have them work on it.
jstevens2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

It appears the dealer got the ABS fixed correct this time. I was told that it was a connector for the ABS wiring to the front wheel. They replaced the connector (the part cost a whole $2.66) and what do you know? No more ABS light stuck on.
Just this week I had a car pull a u-turn right in front of me on the ride home from work. A fellow worker was right behind me and the next day when I asked him if he noticed that he said "yes, I thought for sure you were going to run into him"!
Yep, I'm really pleased with my ABS. I don't ride any different than if I did not have ABS but I know I can apply the brakes HARD and not have to worry about locking up my wheels.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:55 AM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

dklanecky wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogDreamer View Post
It appears the dealer got the ABS fixed correct this time. I was told that it was a connector for the ABS wiring to the front wheel. They replaced the connector (the part cost a whole $2.66) and what do you know? No more ABS light stuck on.
Just this week I had a car pull a u-turn right in front of me on the ride home from work. A fellow worker was right behind me and the next day when I asked him if he noticed that he said "yes, I thought for sure you were going to run into him"!
Yep, I'm really pleased with my ABS. I don't ride any different than if I did not have ABS but I know I can apply the brakes HARD and not have to worry about locking up my wheels.
Any chance you could post that part number (the $2.66 one)? I'm only at 10,000 mile son my 09 RG, but this kind of information could be very helpful if and when a similar issue appears on my bike (which has been flawless so far).

73 Sporty - Sold
07 Sporty - Sold
09 Vivid Black Road Glide (FLTR) with ABS, Security, Fuelmoto Satge One, Clearview, Harley Hammock Seat, Hogg Chopps Lowers, Bright Ass Tail Light, SERG Headlight Bezel, Cruising Southeasten Wisconsin, Delivered 3/6/2009
09 Black Fat Bob (FXDF) in Vivid Black of course, Mustang Solo, Screaming Eagle Intake, PCV, Big City Thunder "Baffles", Delivered 5/1/2009
dklanecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dklanecky View Post
Any chance you could post that part number (the $2.66 one)? I'm only at 10,000 mile son my 09 RG, but this kind of information could be very helpful if and when a similar issue appears on my bike (which has been flawless so far).
The part number is 72213-94, terminal, 18-20 ga. female. They replaced two and the list price for each is $1.56. ( a 15% HOG discount brought the total down to $2.66)
I asked what could have caused the terminals to go bad and it was explained to me the the terminals may have been defective from the factory. Something about the wires not being crimped enough into the terminal.
That may be true but it did not cause a problem with my ABS until I had over 20,000 miles on the bike. You would think the issue would have been shown up miles ago. Maybe the constant flexing of the wires over time caused the loose wires to finally effect the ABS.

Last edited by HogDreamer; 09-04-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-04-2009, 01:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Glyder wants to know Dino or Syn?
they made you pay for parts on an 08???? no warranty????
Glyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

dklanecky wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glyder View Post
they made you pay for parts on an 08???? no warranty????

The OP said he had an 08, but with 25,000 miles on the clock. I'm guessing that means out of warranty?

73 Sporty - Sold
07 Sporty - Sold
09 Vivid Black Road Glide (FLTR) with ABS, Security, Fuelmoto Satge One, Clearview, Harley Hammock Seat, Hogg Chopps Lowers, Bright Ass Tail Light, SERG Headlight Bezel, Cruising Southeasten Wisconsin, Delivered 3/6/2009
09 Black Fat Bob (FXDF) in Vivid Black of course, Mustang Solo, Screaming Eagle Intake, PCV, Big City Thunder "Baffles", Delivered 5/1/2009
dklanecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement