Road King Classic Kickstand ? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2003, 09:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

perazzishotgun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Road King Classic Kickstand ?

It seems that my FLHRCI kickstand allows the bike to lay over too far--almost scares me. My Sporty stands up much straighter. I try to compare to other bikes, but it sure seems to be laying it too far over compared to others. If this something that is adjustable? My service manual doesn't say anything about an adjustment--just how to remove and reinstall. Thanks
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2003, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
I.A.T.S.E. Local 833

elPrez wants to know Dino or Syn?
I feel the same way with my 98 RKC. Sometimes I look at it and I could swear its creeping forward, ready to fold up and fall. I've had two friends (who own bikes) sit on it and when they put the stand down and get up I almost lunge forward thinking it's gonna fall over. I guess it will take a while to get used to it.
elPrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Retired Navy - MCPO

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is nothing adjustable on it. You might take a look and make sure the bolts (4) that hold the plate to the frame are all tight. If you look close at the tab on top of the kickstand and see where it is placed when weight is put on the kickstand, you'll see why there is some movement involved. As long as the tab is inserted in the middle of the two upright pieces, the bike might move slightly but will go nowhere.
Ed Y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 11:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

HDSmurph wants to know Dino or Syn?
Same as Ed Y. Yes its scary, yes it takes time to get use to. Just make sure you put it all the way before sitting the bike on it.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

I get the same scare--it wants to move forward even on level ground. At my age, I find it even difficult to pull the bike up straight, particularly when I park on less than level ground. Yes the bolts are all tight. I park it in the garage with the stand on a 2" x 6" board, and it seems like about the right angle. I don't carry a board with me though!!
I have thought about permanently adding about an inch of steel to the bottom of the jiffy stand. Any thoughts?
Old 05-04-2003, 01:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pestilence

Flyer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't do it..........will void warranty on inner primary transmission jackshaft output tracking sensor gear bypass valve.

Honestly..you don't have to do anything. The stand works, live with it.
You can always buy the fancy aftermarket ones

Check this one out
Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 02:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

I assume your are kidding about "Don't do it..........will void warranty on inner primary transmission jackshaft output tracking sensor gear bypass valve."??!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2003, 02:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Pestilence

Flyer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by perazzishotgun
I assume your are kidding about "Don't do it..........will void warranty on inner primary transmission jackshaft output tracking sensor gear bypass valve."??!!!!!!!!
.....umm.......you are correct
Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 03:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

harleyhog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by perazzishotgun
I assume your are kidding about "Don't do it

Click da Hog...Go on, ya know ya wanna.

harleyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 04:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Close examination on the mechanics of the jiffy stand seem to indicate that how far it lays down (or the stand comes up) is a block of solid steel approximately 1/2" thick that runs down the length of the leg of the stand which is enclosed in the bracket. Cannot tell how it is wedged into the stand frame. It does not appear welded in place. If this block was either thicker or positioned more outboard, it would not allow the stand to pull up quite as much. Make any sense?? I just returned from an independent shop and compared to quite a few bikes. Mine still lays over far more than the others, but there was only one touring bike, an Ultra, to compare to. It stood up straighter, but was an older bike. The indy thinks mine lays down too much, but agreed that he does not know how to adjust. Could it have been improperly manufactured?
Old 05-04-2003, 06:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

rfdjr58 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Probably just common sense, but I usually "take the slack" out of the transmission after turning off the motorcycle -- let it roll a little until the the gear catches. This way it doesn't move after putting the side stand down. It is scary when you see that stand starting to move, even if it will eventually catch.
Old 05-05-2003, 12:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

stonesrock wants to know Dino or Syn?
I thought I was having the opposite problem, the stand wasn't letting the bike lean over enough. If parked on a slight incline, I thought the bike would move forward (kind of like the jiffy stand pushes itself up). Looked at other dresser's at the dealer and found mine was in line with other bikes. All bolts tight, so just the way I parked it on this slight incline where I first got paranoid about the bike tipping over while parked.
Cause you know I could never be alone

"Dead Flowers" (1971) -Sticky Fingers-
stonesrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 12:09 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

I went and measured a few touring bikes at the dealer. Mine lays over the same as all the others. Oh well! I did take a stub of stainless steel rifle barrel and cut it on the lathe .200 thick and .700 round. Dropped it into the kickstand channel. Bike now stands up much better, but I assume I will lose it the first time I ride.
Old 05-08-2003, 01:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

harleyhog wants to know Dino or Syn?

Probably fall over the 'other' way when ya park it!...

Click da Hog...Go on, ya know ya wanna.

harleyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement