GIVI top case : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 09:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Greg MacD wants to know Dino or Syn?
GIVI top case

I own an 06 FLHT Police bike, I am looking for a "Tour Pack" alternative, knowing that the HD tour pack has some fitment issues on the police bikes due to the way the side bags open I begin to look at the Givi top cases. I am familiar with Givi from my sport touring friends and love the product. I am curious to know if anyone else is using the Givi bags on the HD bikes and if anyone has a picture as to the looks of the top case on an E-Glide. I am a little scared that the Givi may look a little to "modern" on the classic looking E-Glide.

Thanks, Greg

2003 Ford SD 7.3L Diesel
Greg MacD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2009, 05:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

sprtf762 wants to know Dino or Syn?
IMHO the Givi would look awful on a Harley - the styling just doesn't match. You have several options to go with. There is a smaller tour pack that is made to contain a radio and the strobe power supply. It is the same width as the radio plate, so clearance is not a problem. You CAN put a regular or chopped tour pack on a police bike - you just need to raise the height slightly to clear the saddlebag lids. You can also remove the rubber bumpers that are on the underside of the tour pack to get an extra quarter inch of clearance.
sprtf762 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2009, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

HogBag wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprtf762 View Post
IMHO the Givi would look awful on a Harley - the styling just doesn't match. You have several options to go with. There is a smaller tour pack that is made to contain a radio and the strobe power supply. It is the same width as the radio plate, so clearance is not a problem. You CAN put a regular or chopped tour pack on a police bike - you just need to raise the height slightly to clear the saddlebag lids. You can also remove the rubber bumpers that are on the underside of the tour pack to get an extra quarter inch of clearance.
The chopped tour pack sounds like the go. I'm with sprft762 on the GIVI
HogBag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2009, 01:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

I was thinking the same thing, I have a soft tail bag on the bike now, it looks good and works well, It just is not secure, thanks

2003 Ford SD 7.3L Diesel
Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Huck Finn wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been using the same Givi box since 1995. Built like a brick sh*thouse and easy to take off with the press of the button. Good choice if you're not a sheep!
Old 06-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Huck, do you have a picture of the bike and the top case?

Thanks, Mac

2003 Ford SD 7.3L Diesel
Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

FXD-Tim wants to know Dino or Syn?
I put Givi side cases on my wife's Sportster. We attached the universal mounting plate to Ghost Brackets. The bags are functional and waterproof. They don't look too bad.

I put a Givi E52 top case on my FXD. I went for function over form. It's solid, waterproof, and holds plenty. It has integral brake lights and there is a new light kit available with brighter LEDs that provides tail/stop/turn signals.

I went with givi after usinga $110 Matsua case for about a year. That case did not have good quality or longevity.

I'm sure friends roll their eyes and shake their heads after seeing the Givi cases, but they have come to expect such things knowing I follow my own drummer.

I'll have to take some pictures to illustrate.
FXD-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

35386 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXD-Tim View Post
I put Givi side cases on my wife's Sportster. We attached the universal mounting plate to Ghost Brackets. The bags are functional and waterproof. They don't look too bad.

I put a Givi E52 top case on my FXD. I went for function over form. It's solid, waterproof, and holds plenty. It has integral brake lights and there is a new light kit available with brighter LEDs that provides tail/stop/turn signals.

I went with givi after usinga $110 Matsua case for about a year. That case did not have good quality or longevity.

I'm sure friends roll their eyes and shake their heads after seeing the Givi cases, but they have come to expect such things knowing I follow my own drummer.

I'll have to take some pictures to illustrate.
How did you fit the E52 case on your FXD? I purchased one for my other bike along with mounting kit and the works. It's great, clicks into the base plate, very good quality stuff but I would LOVE to be able to mount it on my FXD as well. Do they make a plate to fit the sissy bar rack?
35386 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2009, 07:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorgo View Post
How did you fit the E52 case on your FXD? I purchased one for my other bike along with mounting kit and the works. It's great, clicks into the base plate, very good quality stuff but I would LOVE to be able to mount it on my FXD as well. Do they make a plate to fit the sissy bar rack?
I bought a custom-made plate that fits to the side plates. It replaces the sissy bar. It was $40 + 15 shipping in 2007. PM me for the details.
Old 01-31-2014, 06:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)

JohnJomtien wants to know Dino or Syn?
GIVI Tour Pack for FLD

"I put a Givi E52 top case on my FXD. I went for function over form. It's solid, waterproof, and holds plenty. It has integral brake lights and there is a new light kit available with brighter LEDs that provides tail/stop/turn signals.

I'm sure friends roll their eyes and shake their heads after seeing the Givi cases, but they have come to expect such things knowing I follow my own drummer. "

Yes! I have a GIVI on my little Honda Phantom. It's an awesome tourpack. Pops off with the touch of a button, light weight, brake lights. Like you, I go for function rather than being a slave to fashion. Any hints on hardware to get it onto an FLD Switchback? Does Givi make that, or did you have to do it custom for your FXD? or...?
Thanks,

John
JohnJomtien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2014, 09:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJomtien View Post
"Any hints on hardware to get it onto an FLD Switchback? Does Givi make that, or did you have to do it custom for your FXD? or...?
Thanks,

John
The bracket I used on the FXD I bought on eBay. It attaches to the side plates. The seller made these brackets for Dynas and Sportsters in his spare time. I doubt he's still in business.

My wife has an FLD. I think the distance between the side plates is wider than on the FXD. I still have the bracket so I can check to see if it could be modified to fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.