V-Twin Forum banner

Radio Lost Display

24K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  stvlake 
#1 ·
Well I guess it's my turn. No display on my 08 HK Radio. I haven't even been caught in the rain yet this year. I have the red backlight but no LCD. Heading to shop today. I'm sure they will want to pull it. I tried disconnecting battery. Bummer!
What really worries me is the warranty will be done in the fall and these radios don't seem to reliable. I thought the 08's had problems resolved.

#2 ·
Yep the typical problem, strange to see a newer one have it. When they 1st came out there was a rash of stereos taking a crap, been a while since I've read of a new one taking a crap. I had the radio in my 06 go bad about 6 months after I bought it the replacement has been working since. I did however have the display go off and on a handful of times last year. I wash my bike once per week and have been in plenty of rain.

#3 ·
Yeah, I have read many posts about HK problems, including yours. I couldn't believe it, I thought I was seeing things, or not. They (Erie) couldn't get me in today, so I'm bringing it Mon. and leaving it. They said they will have to pull it, if indeed the screen went. SM wasn't there so they couldn't tell me what kind of turn around.
I bought my 08 in Sept. of 07, maybe it was an older radio. :hmmm:

#6 ·
Chuck, the radio needs to have a power source that stays on all the time (constant) in order to retain memory and clock functions. Often the display is linked to this power source even though the display goes off with the key. A switched power source is one that goes off when the ignition is turned off. Ground is.... well...ground. If you have all three then I guess the radio is FUBAR.

#7 ·
I had the same problem a few weeks ago and found a simple and free solution. Evidently when I thumbed the volume switch, I accidentally switched through the bass and treble settings and lowered the display, making my screen red and blank. The tech at the dealer told me he sees this a lot. Didn't charge me for a new unit or even try to pull a fast one. Give it a shot.

#9 ·
I knew when I parked it, it was working fine but I did try and check the display setting. Of course ya can't see what your doing but I pushed the audio button blindly and raised and lowered everything. I couldn't be so lucky.
What happend to ya get what you pay for? I'm sure Erie HD will take care of it and it's not their fault but I'd sure like to roll some heads.

#11 ·
Wow, you and your son had the same problem? Or did he buy your bike?
I hope they turn it around quick. I'm afraid I'll be riding with a hole in my dash. yuk Suppose to be doing a couple nights in Sandusky for Ohio Bike Week in a couple weeks, I'm hoping things will be right by then.

#14 ·
Had the display go out on my second HK. The first one the took a crap on me the day before I left for Sturgis, the whole radio went out. The third one couldn't keep time even with the latest updates so it's now in the trash can and I'm getting a Sony.

Heck, I would even consider a radio from an 05 model if the plugs were the same.

#17 ·
I have a strange issue happening with my HK Stereo on my 07 Roadglide. I'm either listening to XM or a CD - when I turn the bike off for more than 30 minutes or so, and fire it back up, the stereo is on AM Radio. I'm positive that I'm not hitting the button to change the source... This was happening intermittently but yesterday seemed to be every time I turned the bike off.

Now I know the first thing people are going to say is check the ground(s)..I have, and would expect everything to be reset if this was the problem..but all the stations presets are still set and the clock gives the correct time...very strange problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

T

#22 ·
Well, your pipes sound better than any of the garbage on FM radio nowadays, so I would just enjoy THAT sound & 86 the radio. The dash hole will make an excellent place to keep your lunch,sunglasses,garage opener,cellphone,etc. Now if your XM radio were to go out,that's another story!!

#24 ·
If I had spent another $500 for the XM, which I contemplated, it would be out also. Right now, glad I didn't. And if you spent over a grand for a stereo, I'm sure having a nice hole to put your sandwich wouldn't be much of an option for ya. :huh:

#23 ·
Rottdoggie
I had the same problem. My solution to my problem was the CD. All I did was remove the CD and reinstall it. Seems like their was some type of error, or something. I would be listening to a CD, and shut off the bike, and then, when I started it up again, it would be playing an AM radio station. Don't know if you have the same problem but it's an easy try. Hope this helps.
Jonnierock

#27 ·
HK Radios

Have an 07 SG;. Have had the first radio go out while riding, then was able to turn it back on for a while, and have it go out erradicately. Lasted about 18 months. Took back to HD dealer, and they replaced the unit with a new one. This went OK for about 3 months, and then the screen went blank. Went back to dealer, they re-programmed the unit, and it lasted about a day, then the screen went blank again. I called Harley Customer Serv. and they gave me a ref. number so I wouldn't be charged, because I am out of warranty now, but this happened so soon after they had said it had been repaired. Took the bike back to dealer today, and will be anxious to hear the results.... Unfortunately it is not the fault of the HD dealerships, it is the fault of the Research and Development people @ HD who are making in excess of 6-figures that are supposed to research a reputable Stereo MFg. Guess they should have looked into something like "Bose" for thier products.....

#28 ·
Have an 07 SG;. Have had the first radio go out while riding, then was able to turn it back on for a while, and have it go out erradicately. Lasted about 18 months. Took back to HD dealer, and they replaced the unit with a new one. This went OK for about 3 months, and then the screen went blank. Went back to dealer, they re-programmed the unit, and it lasted about a day, then the screen went blank again. I called Harley Customer Serv. and they gave me a ref. number so I wouldn't be charged, because I am out of warranty now, but this happened so soon after they had said it had been repaired. Took the bike back to dealer today, and will be anxious to hear the results.... Unfortunately it is not the fault of the HD dealerships, it is the fault of the Research and Development people @ HD who are making in excess of 6-figures that are supposed to research a reputable Stereo MFg. Guess they should have looked into something like "Bose" for thier products.....
It is mind boggling that these huge mfg. sell high end equipment with problems like this and seem to get away with it. Although we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. Like is HD getting huge credits from Harmon Kardon. You know Harmon Kardon has to be getting grief from HD over this.
Let us know how you made out, good luck.

#29 ·
Sorry to hear about your radio issues, and your anger is totally justified, but 2 things.

Any dealership with any clue and the ability to actually read service bulletins would know that reprogramming a radio would have no chance in recovering a missing display. Your display issue is an intermittent contact at the J900 connector that was most likely knocked loose during the installation of the unit. The fit is so tight that if great care is not taken, you will shift the faceplate and damage the connector.

Harman as a reputable company. They are the OEM supplier for Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Land Rover, Ferrari, Austin Martin, Chrysler, and the Hyundai Genesis. Boses does not make automotive head units. In fact, some of those "Bose" branded audio systems actually use Harman head units with Bose amps and speakers.

Harman, like every other OEM supplier, is at the mercy of the customers specs. Harley speced this unit and ultimately tested and approved this unit. If the unit is such an issue, why would Harley continue to use what is in effect the same unit (granted with some updates and mods) for what is now going to be it's fifth year?

Things fail, and it is unfortunate. But if we were all so bent on the ultimate in perfection and reliability, I doubt we'd all ride Harleys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.