Counter Balanced Engine - Page 5 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2009, 11:13 PM   #61 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Prototype413 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjsmithjr View Post
That it is the only valid reason I have ever heard to keep the vibration.
How about one of these instead..
http://www.viberider.com/
Prototype413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 AM   #62 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

wjsmithjr wants to know Dino or Syn?
WoW! I think this would be money well spent.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #63 (permalink)
IronButt

BigMike wants to know Dino or Syn?
I wouldn't buy a touring bike with a counter balanced engine. It's the main reason I sold my Heritage and won't go back to a Softail. At 80mph, the balancer is annoying. I recently test rode and new Crossbones and a new Streetbob. Streetbob felt much quicker and didn't have the annoying balancer sound.
Paint By Attitude Custom Painting
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 AM   #64 (permalink)
IronButt

airmann6 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Rode a loaner Heritage the other day and remembered how nice it was not shake while stopped .
airmann6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:11 AM   #65 (permalink)
IronButt

hamyoo06 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Question for those in the know:

Is it possible that a B motor, if left relatively free floating, has a strong resonance at some rpms? By attaching it to the frame, the resonance characteristics are different, and presumably mild.

If it were rubber-mounted and therefore somewhat floating, it could vibrate more or less out of control. Is this a possibility why the Bs can't be rubber-mounted?
Heavy Breather AC
SE Pro II Slip-ons
hamyoo06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 AM   #66 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

wjsmithjr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well that is sort of the question. I don't know that they can't be rubber mounted. They do it in cars but for some reason they don't do it in the Harley. I am operating under the assumption there is a valid reason from an engineering point otherwise it wouldn't make any sense not to do it.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:52 AM   #67 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

hodshire wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just got a 09 fhstf, this is the first "b" engine that I have had. I traded my 06 v-rod in on it and I love the bike but I have noticed the engine has vibration when the rev's are up. I have always had baggers and still have a 06 flhpi and I know my glides and roadkings are/were smoother at cruising speed. The FatBoy seems to be silky smooth at idle but when twisted up has an internal vibration, being my first softail I hope this is normal. I only have 480 Miles on it and I just ran it hard for the first time last night. I did not hit rev limiter but sure I was around 5000 rpm and noticed the vibration. Runs silky smooth at idle and cruising but did notice vibration during roll on I did for the first time. Is this what everyone is talking about? My 77 flh, evo and tc88 shook at idle but got smooth as glass at highway speeds. Dont mean to hijack the thread but while its being discussed I had this question. Thanks
hodshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:05 AM   #68 (permalink)
IronButt

facn8me wants to know Dino or Syn?
if your your in too tall a gear and lug it when rolling on yes it will vibrate. 6th is kinda worthless below 65mph. From what I gather some must vibrate and others like mine and 6-8 more that have replied to this thread notice no vibration. Guess it's just luck of the draw.

facn8me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:21 AM   #69 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamyoo06 View Post
Question for those in the know:

Is it possible that a B motor, if left relatively free floating, has a strong resonance at some rpms? By attaching it to the frame, the resonance characteristics are different, and presumably mild.

If it were rubber-mounted and therefore somewhat floating, it could vibrate more or less out of control. Is this a possibility why the Bs can't be rubber-mounted?
All HD v-twin engines have a strong resonance at certain RPMs. "Balancing" a HD V-twin is a process in which you balance for the cruising speed(unless it is a race motor) there are all kinds of extreme balances for the cranks, depending on how you are building it.

The reason for the counterbalancer is so that the hardmounted engine won't bounce the bike at idle. The soft tail "style" is why they are hard mounted, it looks more old school.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #70 (permalink)
FNG :)

hammer dawg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Talking buzz what buzz ?

My 08 heritage is smooth as silk at 70 80 100 not sure what buzz ya'll are talking about wouldn't trade it for any bagger !
hammer dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #71 (permalink)
Premium Member

rickr01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have not ridden a counter balanced softail that was as smooth as my rubber mounted touring bike when on the Interstates. The counter balanced motors at highway speeds and higher rpms have a very noticable high frequency buzzy type vibration that I find more annoying than the old non counter balance softail standard vibration. Just my .02....

Last edited by rickr01; 12-15-2012 at 11:58 AM.
rickr01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #72 (permalink)
Motorhead

Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this? Thermodyne is reading this now saying WTF is this?
If the MoCo wanted to put the B motor in a touring scooter they could have done it with the 09's. Personally I think they didn't because the A motor is cheaper to build. There is also the issue of what happens when a motor that is counter balanced for a ridged mount gets hung on rubber mounts. It might not work as expected. Cages have to use oil filled mounts to calm them down.