Needs vs Wants in a Bike - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

Willy G. wants to know Dino or Syn?
Don't forget about this. Cool color. You just need to add a stereo and what ever else you want.

09' FLHX, EVA MAE named after my beloved Grandmother
Willy G. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2009, 09:03 AM   #17 (permalink)
Premium Member

Huck Finn wants to know Dino or Syn?
A number of people complain about buffeting on the SG, especially coming up from under the batwing. Hard lowers seem to solve that problem. Others complain about the screen heights on either bikes, plenty of choices to fix that. Some people have to have tunes, for them the SG is the obvious answer. Others want the convertible quality of the RK, able to go from fully dressed to naked in no time at all.

Short answer: Either bike is going to munch big miles in comfort. It really depends on which one speaks louder to you.

For me it was the Road King. I love the looks and I like being able to strip off the windshield when it's hot out. Makes the bike feel quite a bit smaller than it really is. I also find it easier to ride through heavy traffic because it's less top heavy and I can see the road right in front of me.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Motopsycho wants to know Dino or Syn?
Speaking of needs, does anybody want or have any use a set of rinehart slip-ons that have scratches down the side?
Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #19 (permalink)
Premium Member

Huck Finn wants to know Dino or Syn?
If I was shopping for a batwing I'd get the EGC. Same $$$ as the SG but you get a tour pak, fog lamps and a nice touring seat. Best bang for the buck out there.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:53 AM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

choochmalooch wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool Time in the Saddle

I was fortunate enough to take a ride on a police bike and fell in love with the air ride seat. I purchased a RK Police because of the comfort of the air seat on long rides and the removable windshield for around town. The downside is no tunes but I plan to fix that this spring. If you are that unsure I would rent each for a day and then decide. It's all about taste which can be varried and sometimes distorted.........

"If you knew the road you traveled would have brought you to this point would you have taken a different road?!?!"

2012 FLHTP
Mini Beast II
Sony DSX-MS60 Marine Stereo w/ 4 Speaker Sound System
Mustang Solo Air Ride Police Seat with Backrest
Mustang Passenger Pillon
FLHXX Trike Luggage Rack and Backrest
Owens Custom Saddlebag Inserts
Rinehart 4" Slip Ons

1. Ride
2. Wash
3. Rinse
4. Repeat
choochmalooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #21 (permalink)
Premium Member

icehead wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy G. View Post
Don't forget about this. Cool color. You just need to add a stereo and what ever else you want.
This would be my bike if it had a the classic's engine with chrome.
icehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

Sarge7 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Go with the SG! Looks better - hauls more junk and is easy to set up for a 2up ride or tear down for for solo cruisin. Either way you go enjoy the ride.
Sarge7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #23 (permalink)
zoo
IronButt

zoo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Believe it or not if I'm going at just the right angle at just the right speed with the wind blowing in just the right direction I actually can get some minor buffeting on my 08 RK with the windshield attached. Have to really work at it to make it happen though, heheh.

I can see why you're having a hard time making the decision. Both bikes are a blast.
zoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

idbeast wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck Finn View Post
A number of people complain about buffeting on the SG, especially coming up from under the batwing. Hard lowers seem to solve that problem. Others complain about the screen heights on either bikes, plenty of choices to fix that. Some people have to have tunes, for them the SG is the obvious answer. Others want the convertible quality of the RK, able to go from fully dressed to naked in no time at all.
Buffeting is almost non-existant on a 09... 08 and earlier was a different story...
Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
RG7
IronButt

RG7 wants to know where he is and how he got here
I have a feeling that your heart is leaning towards the RK and your head is leaning towards the SG. If that's the case get the RK and get a detachable fairing. They do come with Stereo's. Itís kind of like having your cake and eating it too. Check Dragon Fly for those detachable fairings.

Also, If you haven't already do ride both, it will help you decide. Thatís what I did and ended up with a RG.
RG7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 03:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
IronButt

Ride wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got a 99 FLHRCI with 125K on the clock. I wouldn't take for it but if I had to do it all over again I'd probably take a hard look at the SG. I've added a tour pak...lowered it front and rear and have many many days of over 800 miles each through all kinds of weather. Sure I'd like some tunes for the longer rides but it's not a must have...I still like to listen to the motor. Tough choice but any of the FL's are a good platform for the type of riding you describe. Just find what moves you and go with it.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:25 PM   #27 (permalink)
Premium Member

icehead wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG7 View Post
I have a feeling that your heart is leaning towards the RK and your head is leaning towards the SG. If that's the case get the RK and get a detachable fairing. They do come with Stereo's. Itís kind of like having your cake and eating it too. Check Dragon Fly for those detachable fairings.

Also, If you haven't already do ride both, it will help you decide. Thatís what I did and ended up with a RG.
you got me. That's the exact feeling I am having. this has been good thread for me to learn about the reasons for picking a certain bike.
icehead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2009, 10:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
FNG :)

paulmak wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoo View Post
Do you see many road kings in Bangkok?
Zoo,
Yes you do see Road Kings in Bangkok. Up until recently, softails were in big demand. I would think that the touring bikes are more popular here now. Outside Bangkok you see more and more Dynas.
paulmak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 01:06 AM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

dickey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Get 'em both--problem solved!
dickey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 04:35 AM   #30 (permalink)
155" R&R TwinCam

dog155 wants to know Dino or Syn?
For us it has always been form first then function.The look has to be right,then make the bike work for me after that.Saddle bags and a shield are a must,but be able to remove them easily for some hot rodding.Tour pac is another must have for this family,only used when travelling,otherwize it is on a shelf.Have fun.
Whizzer motorbike
dog155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.