Changing oil in your air shocks - Page 7 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #91 (permalink)
IronButt

luvmy09 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here is the best article on "damping" I have read in awhile;
http://www.blackartdesigns.com/id4.html
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #92 (permalink)
IronButt

Mike02 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cts1950 View Post
There has been some discussion on changing oil in your shocks. By changing the weight of oil you can adjust the dampening. This is done all the time in racing bikes and quads. I changed the oil in my own bikes shocks and found it to be quite easy and the results were well worth it. I had problems with bottoming out all the time even with the air pressure as high as I dare putting in to them as much as 50 psi. After the change of oil to a 10 weight only 12 to 15 psi was needed even with a heavily loaded ultra. I made a simple press out of materials I bought at Home Depot about 20$ and is makes the oil change about a 30 minute job. My adapter made from a 1/8 pipe nipple and a 45 street el and a spark plug boot and small funnel make up the rest of the parts needed.
1 With the shock removed and brass fitting out of it install the shock upside down with the adapter pipe installed, It takes about 5 complete strokes on the handle to empty the shock of its old dirty oil about 10 oz.
2 Turn the empty shock over and put the funnel into the spark plug boot and measure out 10 oz of clean suspension oil into your measuring cup I used a ratio rite.
3 While pumping with short strokes on the press add the oil into the funnel and do not over fill because by pumping you will be burping out the air and sucking the oil into the shock.
4 when the shock is filled with no more than 10 oz of oil put the air fitting back on the shock with thread sealant and reinstall on the bike. You are now ready to do the same for the second shock.

pictures can be seen at http://s841.photobucket.com/albums/z...view=slideshow
How about adding the dimensions of th epress you made and what's needed for it?

It's perfect!@
Mike02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2014, 05:35 PM   #93 (permalink)
IronButt

Chart wants to know Dino or Syn?
TexasBowhunter: You still with us here on the forum? Have you continued to experiment on the stock shocks, and have any new info on the results?
Chart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #94 (permalink)
IronButt

bajafool wants to know Dino or Syn?
I did the oil change on my '06 RG. I went with 30 wt oil in both the shocks and forks. Rode and handled a whole lot better.

Now I've got a '13 RGU and am looking into doing the same thing. Just got to take the time to get it done.

'13 Road Glide Ultra in Midnight Pearl.

Traded in.
'06 Road Glide
95" w/ 10.5: 1 SE forged pistons
Dan Vance Racing Port/polish raised port heads
Andrews 37G gear drive cam
1.7:1 Roller rockers
50MM SE TBI
Hypercharger
Klock Werks Puffler mufflers on true dual head pipes.
Custom body work and paint. Kopper Penney Pearl faded into black.
SAE corrected 101.43 HP/ 104.39 TQ
All work done by ME!
bajafool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2014, 09:29 PM   #95 (permalink)
FNG :)

crazy8smokey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good read thanks for the info
crazy8smokey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2014, 07:07 PM   #96 (permalink)
IronButt

btsom wants to know Dino or Syn?
Long thread, after page 5 I jumped to the end. I took one rear shock of my scooter the other day and the rear suspension shortened up about an inch. Got me thinking. If I took off both shocks and remounted one upside down with the little plumbing fitting in it, couldn't I just alternately sit down and stand up to pump out the old oil, then mount the shock right side up and repeat the sit-stand routine with a hose in a shock oil container until it "inhaled the correct amount and not bother building the rig to pump the shock? Intuitively, I think it would work. I will try it on mine soon when I catch up with other chores. Also, I hope no one looks in the window while this is going on a gets the wrong idea about my relationship with my bike.
btsom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2014, 08:37 AM   #97 (permalink)
IronButt

bajafool wants to know Dino or Syn?
That's how I did mine. A bit messey but got the job done.

'13 Road Glide Ultra in Midnight Pearl.

Traded in.
'06 Road Glide
95" w/ 10.5: 1 SE forged pistons
Dan Vance Racing Port/polish raised port heads
Andrews 37G gear drive cam
1.7:1 Roller rockers
50MM SE TBI
Hypercharger
Klock Werks Puffler mufflers on true dual head pipes.
Custom body work and paint. Kopper Penney Pearl faded into black.
SAE corrected 101.43 HP/ 104.39 TQ
All work done by ME!
bajafool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2014, 07:01 PM   #98 (permalink)
IronButt

07 STREETGLIDE wants to know Dino or Syn?
Amsoil shock therapy #10 & http://www.harborfreight.com/mityvac...ump-39522.html & your all set.
07 SG, Black Cherry Pearl, Stage 1, Thunder 2 into 1 Header, K&N, Sert, H.D. Passing Lights, HID, Run/Stop/Turn With LED Bulbs, Led Ground Effects Brake Light, Amsoil in Big Hole, Redline V-twin shockproof trans, Redline V-twin primary fluid. "O" so smooth [B]"Gone on a Slowride taking in the views"
07 STREETGLIDE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.