Road King vs. Softail Deluxe : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 06:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

HDFXDL07 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Road King vs. Softail Deluxe

I bought a new Dyna FXDL Low Rider about a year ago and at the time I felt like the bike was the right size for me. Now I am considering moving up to a Softail Deluxe or a Road King. I really like the looks of the Deluxe and the seat height is the lowest of all HD bikes. I test rode one and liked the way it felt. I felt like I could handle the extra weight of the bike and my feet were flat on the ground when stopped. I also test rode a Road King and really liked the way it handled on the road. It seemed like it would be an excellent bike for longer trips. However it seemed very heavy and my feet were not as flat on the ground when stopped. I felt like I may have trouble handling it because of the weight. Maybe that would change with riding experience. Does anyone have any suggestions or pluses and minuses of either bike? Why should I buy one over the other?
HDFXDL07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Iron Butt, SS2000

jerry34208 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Most common comparison I hear & read is that the FL frame is better for touring, more comfortable ride from both suspension and vibration point of view. Also handle extra/added weight better.

Softails are slightly better looking bikes in my opinion. Once you put bags on them that advantage goes away. I have an Ultra. Buy the one you want.

Oh, btw, if you put handle bars off a Heritage onto a Road King it will feel just as light as the Softail. The extra leverage makes a big difference.

'01 FXD built & tuned by Doc

Now if only I could learn to ride worth a sh!t...

Last edited by jerry34208; 11-14-2008 at 07:49 PM.
jerry34208 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Woody's Fairings

Glenn W wants to know Dino or Syn?
like jerry said, plus don't forget there are a lot of seats out there to drop you a little on a Road King. I think the heritage is the nicer looking bike and I like not giving up some of my saddlebags to external shocks, but I'll take a Road King with a Corbin seat (I'm only 5'8") any day for long trips and parking lot handling!
-Hunter S. Thompson

Adding a Fairing to your Road King or Heritage Softail? Please check out Woody's
Glenn W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 08:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Huck Finn wants to know Dino or Syn?
Like you, I feel the Softail Deluxe fit me better than the Road King as I'm just 5'7''. And I really like the looks. But when I test-rode a Fatboy back to back with an FLHX, the motor in the touring model felt noticeably stronger than the counterbalanced "B" motor in the Softail. And I wanted ABS and dual front brakes. So I went for the King even though I'm up on the balls of my feet at stops.

Anyhow, you can't go wrong if you buy the one that appeals most to you.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

oldog97 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Get what YOU feel comfortable with! I've had a couple of Heritage softails, Electra Glide Classic, Ultra Classic, Road King Classic, & Road Glide. Loved them all! I kept my '05 Road King when I got my new Road Glide because it is just a fantastic bike & I've got alot in it. I also miss my last Heritage, as it too was a really sweet bike. The Road King is a great handling bike & is excellant for long road trips, especially if you add a tour pak! The Heritage also worked very well on long trips with both my wife, myself, & alot of gear on it, going to Sturgis, Laconia, & Colorado. If you have shorter legs, & feel more comfortable with your feet flat on the ground, definitely, get the Heritage! On this bike, you sit more down "in the bike", whereas with the RK, it has a higher center of gravity. Bottom line, whatever fits you!
oldog97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Iron Butt

Bronxhog wants to know Dino or Syn?
You pretty much answered your own question...If your feet can't reach the floor on the Road King you shouldn't buy it,if you want a tourning bike the one for you is the Street glide which is lower to allow your feet to reach the floor while giving you all of the features of a touring bike.
Bronxhog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2008, 11:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hecor wants to know Dino or Syn?
[QUOTE=Bronxhog;1478013]You pretty much answered your own question...If your feet can't reach the floor on the Road King you shouldn't buy it,if you want a tourning bike the one for you is the Street glide which is lower to allow your feet to reach the floor while giving you all of the features of a touring bike.[/QUOTE

Traded from an '08 Softail Deluxe to an '09 RKC. Even though the Softail fit me better (also inseam challenged) I have not looked back at all. To make up for it, I got the low rear shocks & reach seat.

On the RKC, the handling is better, ABS are nice (a must-have for me), but the looks is ultimately what sold me. No regrets (except for the obvious financial hit), but then the looks makes up for it.
Hecor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2008, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Liker of Mid 60's FLH's

ChromeWelder wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFXDL07 View Post
I bought a new Dyna FXDL Low Rider about a year ago and at the time I felt like the bike was the right size for me. Now I am considering moving up to a Softail Deluxe or a Road King. I really like the looks of the Deluxe and the seat height is the lowest of all HD bikes. I test rode one and liked the way it felt. I felt like I could handle the extra weight of the bike and my feet were flat on the ground when stopped. I also test rode a Road King and really liked the way it handled on the road. It seemed like it would be an excellent bike for longer trips. However it seemed very heavy and my feet were not as flat on the ground when stopped. I felt like I may have trouble handling it because of the weight. Maybe that would change with riding experience. Does anyone have any suggestions or pluses and minuses of either bike? Why should I buy one over the other?
I had a Deluxe and traded for a FLHRC. The Deluxe was just too tight for me (I'm 5'11" 230#) and it rode like a lumber wagon. My riding buds nicknamed me "sparky" because I was constantly putting on a fireworks show with my floor boards in the turns. The B motor was smooth up to about 75 MPH, after that, the floor boards start buzzing and I had to wedge my feet against something to keep them from sliding off.

The Road King rides way smoother, no buzz and no sparks. No regrets trading from a Deluxe to the Road King, they are both fine rides.

I fell in Love (for a dam short time) with the way the Deluxe sat and felt when I first got on it. So much so, that I was blinded to what a lousey deal and how over priced they are. To the dealers credit..he told me.."look..no windshield, no motor guards and no saddle bags on the Deluxe..you can get a Heritage for the exact same money.." The seat sucks! I found it unbearable. In addition, the bike was WAY TOO small for me. But hey..the size may be perfect for you? I do know however, that the bike is WAY OVERPRICED and rides like crap. Hey..I couldn't get rid of the Deluxe fast enough....get the Road King and you'll love it. JMO

Near Ouray Colorado...June 2009
ChromeWelder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2008, 09:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

al_huryn wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just bought an '09 Road King Classic. Upgraded from a '06 Sporty. What a great decision this was, got the bike yesterday had it out today for a few hours and I love it. Big difference in every way shape and form. I can still flat foot it but it's much taller than my sporty was, think I may lower it in the spring or just go for a seat that lowers me just a little more maybe an inch or so.
al_huryn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2008, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Iron Butt, SS2000

jerry34208 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ahhh, the joy of a new ride. Way to go.

'01 FXD built & tuned by Doc

Now if only I could learn to ride worth a sh!t...
jerry34208 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 05:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

larryb123 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have experience with both. Had an 05 RKC. 16 in apes and classic solo corbin. all around the best Bike. for distance and local.
My wife rides an 05 D-lux, she likes the carb thing, she ride 12k plus a year and loves it. She also has a corbin solo close seat. she's 5'3" and sits flat footed on it. But she is upgrading to a touring bike this spring, trying to keep up with me on my new SERG.
My opinion, Road King, you'll have no regrets.
larryb123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)

HDFXDL07 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks to all you guys for your input. You made some very good points that I did not think of. I was leaning toward the Deluxe but now I am leaning toward the Road King. When I test rode the Road King I really liked it but my only problem was that I felt a little uncomfortable when stopping and holding the bike upright and also when trying to back it up. I am 5'8" tall. On my Dyna Low Rider my feet are firmly on the ground and on the Road King they were not. The specs say that the seat height of the Road King is 4" higher than my Dyna. How can I lower the seat height? The dealer told me that by putting on different shocks I can only go 1" lower. I feel if I could get to 2" lower I would probably go for it. Are there any other ways to get the seat height lower?
HDFXDL07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #13 (permalink)
Woody's Fairings

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDFXDL07 View Post
Thanks to all you guys for your input. You made some very good points that I did not think of. I was leaning toward the Deluxe but now I am leaning toward the Road King. When I test rode the Road King I really liked it but my only problem was that I felt a little uncomfortable when stopping and holding the bike upright and also when trying to back it up. I am 5'8" tall. On my Dyna Low Rider my feet are firmly on the ground and on the Road King they were not. The specs say that the seat height of the Road King is 4" higher than my Dyna. How can I lower the seat height? The dealer told me that by putting on different shocks I can only go 1" lower. I feel if I could get to 2" lower I would probably go for it. Are there any other ways to get the seat height lower?
I'm 5'8" w/29" inseam and I can just stand flatfooted on a Road King w/Corbin 2-up seat (sorry can't remember which one) and regular shoes. Very easy standing with heavy-soled riding/hiking boots. For me the FL frame w/reversed trees make Road King the clear choice over the Softail family for a long-distance bike, coin toss for around town.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Adding a Fairing to your Road King or Heritage Softail? Please check out Woody's
Old 11-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

sublime is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Get the Road King... Lower the rear 1" by changing out your shocks, lower the front 1" with the race-tech springs / cartridge emulators and then top it all off with a corbin seat...
sublime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 03:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Woody's Fairings

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime View Post
Get the Road King... Lower the rear 1" by changing out your shocks, lower the front 1" with the race-tech springs / cartridge emulators and then top it all off with a corbin seat...
I'd get the seat first-you may not need anything else. The narrower Corbin lets you keep your feet closer to the bike, and the less angle the taller you seem. Start keeping your eys open for guys your height on Road Kings and see what they are using & ask to swing a leg over theirs.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.