Speedometer Reset? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Pale340 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Speedometer Reset?

Hey all, was at a Harley Dealer that had a Speedometer for my Road King that has a tach on it also. I dont know the part number off the top of my head otherwise I would give it to you. Anyway, it was set at 21,600 miles. Is there anyway to change the milage on these that you know of? I asked the dealer if I bought it could they send it back to the factory to get it reset and they told me no. Once it is set that is it. I really do not believe that. This is a $499 retail speedometer and they have it on clearance for $235. I just hate to let it go but do not want to wait a year or more to hit the milage to put it on. If you know how to change it or know where I can send it let me know so I can call them and buy it before someone else does. Thanks

Chuck
Huntsville, AL
09 Turquoise/Antique White
Road King Classic
Pale340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Highly Seasoned Rider!

newultraclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale340 View Post
Hey all, was at a Harley Dealer that had a Speedometer for my Road King that has a tach on it also. I dont know the part number off the top of my head otherwise I would give it to you. Anyway, it was set at 21,600 miles. Is there anyway to change the milage on these that you know of? I asked the dealer if I bought it could they send it back to the factory to get it reset and they told me no. Once it is set that is it. I really do not believe that. This is a $499 retail speedometer and they have it on clearance for $235. I just hate to let it go but do not want to wait a year or more to hit the milage to put it on. If you know how to change it or know where I can send it let me know so I can call them and buy it before someone else does. Thanks
They could send the speedometer to the factory if they wanted to. I understand that it's against the law to replace a speedo that has the wrong mileage. This is to prevent fraud. California is that way and so are the rest of the states AFAIK. Car Dealers used to reset the old mechanical speedometers to make a car look like it had fewer miles.
newultraclassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Woody's Fairings

Glenn W wants to know Dino or Syn?
I aggree-I'd check with another dealer or talk to someone higher up at yours. When you buy one of those combo units new they have to go through the dealer who submits your mileage and that's how your new one is shipped. Only problem is it's included in the price. Having to send one to the factory might be an extra cost and negate your good deal.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Adding a Fairing to your Road King or Heritage Softail? Please check out Woody's
Glenn W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Montyl wants to know Dino or Syn?
Actually, the dealer can change the speedo on a vehicle such as described in the original post. HOWEVER they are required by law to file paperwork with the DMV stating the original miles and the current odometer reading, which ultimately gets recorded on the title.
I have read that if you buy one of the aftermarket speedo's the dealer has the ability to set its odometer to match what your old one did, but I am sure that is only for the ones that have never been installed. It would not surprise me that even the factory can not change an odometer back to zero once it has accumulated miles. Other wise what would prevent a dishonest person taking their speedo out and sending it back to the factory with the story that he bought it from a buddy and want to put it in his vehicle but it has less miles on it then the odometer reads. Just like some used car dealers sometimes did. I could see a big lawsuit out of this one, or goverment regulations.
Montyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
Woody's Fairings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montyl View Post
Actually, the dealer can change the speedo on a vehicle such as described in the original post. HOWEVER they are required by law to file paperwork with the DMV stating the original miles and the current odometer reading, which ultimately gets recorded on the title.
I have read that if you buy one of the aftermarket speedo's the dealer has the ability to set its odometer to match what your old one did, but I am sure that is only for the ones that have never been installed. It would not surprise me that even the factory can not change an odometer back to zero once it has accumulated miles. Other wise what would prevent a dishonest person taking their speedo out and sending it back to the factory with the story that he bought it from a buddy and want to put it in his vehicle but it has less miles on it then the odometer reads. Just like some used car dealers sometimes did. I could see a big lawsuit out of this one, or goverment regulations.
I can see it on a dealer level being a problem, but the factory should be above reproach. I have a hard time believing there's no way to send it into Milw or York (possibly with the original) and get it done. There's nothing to stop a dealer from cheating on the miles when they sell you a new one-they have to deal with the MoCo on that. Hopefully a different dealer can enlighten you, or someone here that REALLY knows instead of my guessing
-Hunter S. Thompson

Adding a Fairing to your Road King or Heritage Softail? Please check out Woody's
Old 10-13-2008, 10:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Johnlee wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am going to buy one also pale340, and I have searche the internet. I have found several at a lower price (than 499) but the catch was I would have had to buy it with the miles already on it.........most were in excess of 16000 miles. It was explained that it was "as is" and non could be brought to zero.

As Monty suggests........the dealer (in accordance with all laws) would sell you one but would have to put the miles on that were origionally on your old one..........this is regardless if you have them install or "take with".

In any case I will buy for my 2009 RK as I want a tachometer and I like the replacement that fits where the old one is now.

If anyone knows any different I would appreciate the input. I will find out shortly because I am going to buy one and install myself. As mentioned I find it hard to believe they will sell it to me with "0" miles.
John
Johnlee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

08' FLHX N WV wants to know where he is and how he got here
If you buy one new from the dealer they have to actualy see the milage on your old unit when ordering it so it can be set to your actual milage by the factory. That is why no dealers have them in stock. They are an order item only. The dealer has a mountian of paper work to deal with the get a replacment and not have it affect the title. I am suprised that the MOCO dosent make them put it in to deter frud.
08' FLHX N WV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 06:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Woody's Fairings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08' FLHX N WV View Post
If you buy one new from the dealer they have to actualy see the milage on your old unit when ordering it so it can be set to your actual milage by the factory. That is why no dealers have them in stock. They are an order item only. The dealer has a mountian of paper work to deal with the get a replacment and not have it affect the title. I am suprised that the MOCO dosent make them put it in to deter frud.
Like '08 said That's what I was trying to describe about buying a new one via the dealer. Hard to believe there's no provision for re-using an old one through a H-D dealer. I realize it makes a better market for H-D on new ones but that seems a little short-sighted, almost as if they don't love us very much
-Hunter S. Thompson

Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Montyl wants to know Dino or Syn?
It is not that the MOCO doesnt love us, they dont love the lawyers and legal battles. Not to change the subject, but my local dealer showed me a trade mag that HD dealers get and there is a legal battle going on right now, where a customer brought a tire into a dealer, the dealer mount and balanced it the bike was in an accident due to the tire failing and now the dealer is being sued for negligence because the tire failed.
Still wonder why a speedo can only be changed once?
Montyl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Woody's Fairings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montyl View Post
Still wonder why a speedo can only be changed once?
Because the dealer might purposely install the speedo in a "wrong mileage" manner that would cause the bike to crash? Sorry, just funnin ya
It's a shame they bother to sell the old ones if they have no way to do it right. I have a bike with 153k on it, how could they let me walk out with a speedo reading 23k? IMHO they shouldn't be able to sell 'em at all if they won't help ya do it right.
-Hunter S. Thompson

Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #11 (permalink)
FNG :)

Slow-Ride wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale340 View Post
There are a multitude of used speedos out there on the market
Slow-Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

gtnot wants to know Dino or Syn?
And another "resurrected" thread surfaces

2011 FLTRX
120R Crate
AV&V Valves/Beehives (nw_guy4_fun)
TR590 @ 10.5:1 / Baisley Rockers
MGS Stepped True Duals
S&S Tuned Port Intake
SE 58mm TB/5.3 Injectors
Evo 49T / Bandit Sportsman Clutch
SE Manual Tensioner / Smith Bros. Pushrods
Pingel Electric Shifter / Gaterman GP1023 Lifters
WPW FCS Cooling Fan
PowerVision/Tuned (to perfection) by Independent1

2007 GL1800 Motor Trike (hers)
gtnot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.