Ultra Classic Accessory Switch : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
I eat, I ride

jicky retmar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Unhappy Ultra Classic Accessory Switch

I am new to the Ultra Classic. On my fairing dash on the right side is a accessory rocker switch, which is lighted. According to the 'little' owners manuel supplied with the bike the accessory 'port' is the SAE plug I have been using to trickle charge the battery. The photo in the manuel appears to show the very same SAE plug as the accessory terminal. Am I correct?, or is there some other spot that has a terminal that I can connect lights, my heating clothing, ETC. to and have it controlled by this switch.
jicky retmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2008, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

twilliams wants to know Dino or Syn?
Its a 4 pin connector under the seat, on my 07 is was tucked in the open space between the battery and gas tank....
twilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

CopperTop wants to know Dino or Syn?
You can also get to it in the fairing. That's where I installed my air compressor. Just follow the switch down to the connector. The service manual has the pin outs for the connector.

2008 Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition
Stage 1 w/V&H Dresser Duals and Classic Turn-downs, Fuelpak and S/E air cleaner
TWR Stabilizer Wheeldock EZ-Up Center Stand Savior 250 onboard air compressor RideTime LED Tourpak & Fender Tip lights HyperLites 3-ways 6.5" Polk MM-651 front speakers
CopperTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 12:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

HDUltrarider wants to know Dino or Syn?
It is most likely not the connection that you are plugging your trikelle charger. This is most likely just a lead directly off the battery. As the others have said above the plug for the accessory switch is under the seat, I am also not aware of any adapters that would allow you to plug for your heated equipment.
HDUltrarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

bill corkey wants to know Dino or Syn?
The SAE plug you use for the battery should work for the heated clothing as well. Like others have said, the accessory connector is not suitable for the high draw of heated clothing.
2006 sportster roadster
bill corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
I eat, I ride

Gentlemen,
thank you for your insite on the accessory terminal. I guess about all it is good for is LED lighting, I am sorry it cannot be used for much else.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

idahoguy wants to know Dino or Syn?
Not much good for LED lighting either if you want the lights on when you park. The accessory switch won't be energized when the key is off so you can't leave the lights on when you park.
idahoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

CopperTop wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicky retmar View Post
Gentlemen,
thank you for your insite on the accessory terminal. I guess about all it is good for is LED lighting, I am sorry it cannot be used for much else.
What's the current draw on the heated stuff? I run my air compressor off of that accessory switch and never have a problem filling my tires or those of my buddies.

2008 Ultra Classic 105th Anniversary Edition
Stage 1 w/V&H Dresser Duals and Classic Turn-downs, Fuelpak and S/E air cleaner
TWR Stabilizer Wheeldock EZ-Up Center Stand Savior 250 onboard air compressor RideTime LED Tourpak & Fender Tip lights HyperLites 3-ways 6.5" Polk MM-651 front speakers
CopperTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

EODHOG wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jicky retmar View Post
I am new to the Ultra Classic. On my fairing dash on the right side is a accessory rocker switch, which is lighted. According to the 'little' owners manuel supplied with the bike the accessory 'port' is the SAE plug I have been using to trickle charge the battery. The photo in the manuel appears to show the very same SAE plug as the accessory terminal. Am I correct?, or is there some other spot that has a terminal that I can connect lights, my heating clothing, ETC. to and have it controlled by this switch.
That is where HD said to connect the Sun Ray heated seat I bought. I don't see why it couldn't be used for any other accessory. I doubt anything but heated clothes could draw as much juice. Not sure how you would use it to charge the battery as has been posted.......
'05 Sporty L (Wife's Scoot)
'02 Buell Blast

If you can read this, thank a teacher.
If it's in ENGLISH, Thank a VET!
EODHOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
I eat, I ride

CopperTop
I have 3 items plugged in for a total of 131 watts, an 10.8 amps. This would be when riding solo. My wife would add another 27 watts and 2.2 amps. We use 2 seperate pigtales from the battery and two seperate on/off switches.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

08' FLHX N WV wants to know where he is and how he got here
You could use the switch to control a relay for up 30 amps from the batt.
08' FLHX N WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtdobber wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
You could use the switch to control a relay for up 30 amps from the batt.
That is the max of the fuse so you would not want to use a full 30 amps draw. You can get y adapters so you can add more accessories. I have 2 y adapters which controls my rear HD lights(brake/run), fan (to cool the engine), and my GPS. There are 4 ports on the accessory switch under the seat. The lower 2 are for lights-brake and running- the upper 2 are for other things like gps xm radio etc. The accessory switch only controls the upper 2. The lower 2 (the ones for lights) work off the ing. switch. When you turn on the accessory switch, the one on your ing. switch like on the ultra will turn on the lights of the lower 2.
Since the plug has 4 plugs on it you can add brake/running lights on the lower 2 and something else to the upper 2 on the same plug.
I hope this makes sense.
Jim
Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

The way I under stand it he wants to use the Acc switch to control heated clothing that he might want to turn on and off wile riding. He can use the Ass. Sw. to control a BOSH type relay that are normally all rated for 30 A Max (doesn't mean you have to pull the hole 30) the relay can get its power directly from the Batt. The lead coming from the batt should be fused for the ASS. you use it for in his case around 15 amps. If you would like a diagram of how to do this let me know.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:56 PM   #14 (permalink)
I eat, I ride

08'FLHX N WV , your understanding of what I would like to do with the accessory switch is correct. I would very much appreciate a diagram of how this would be done. Perhaps others will benefit from the info as well.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

85 +12V from Ass. SW
86 Ground
87 +12V out to your Ass. (Heated clothing ect.)
87a not used
30 Fused +12V from Batt.

Also rember to use the proper wire size for the load you are pulling.

Last edited by 08' FLHX N WV; 10-16-2008 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement