can you fill your 08/09 up to the filler neck in gas? - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2008, 06:44 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

kslg wants to know Dino or Syn?
With my '08 FLHX I have found that if I insert the nozzle until the spring on the pump nozzle is 1/2" above the top of the neck, then slow down to a trickle as the tank is almost full. When the pump clicks off, the fuel level is right at the bottom of the neck. No splashing of any kind.

I have to believe this point is the rated capacity for two reasons; I've run it up to about 230 miles and it took 5.69 gallons- way too close for comfort, but it was an unexpected 40 miles between gas stations. Also, filling it this way the needle just about pins the gauge.

It turns out the gauge on this bike is dead on. If the needle is a hair over E, it'll probably take 5.5 gallons to fill'er. The miles till empty is real close too, it is conservative by about 20 miles. If I fill up when it says 20 miles till empty, I have almost a gallon left (+/- 40 miles left).
2008 FLHX, super ram 5000 injection, billet unobtainium frame, raked, stretched, ported, polished, bored +1.076" (requiring sintered unobtainium cylinder liners), .890 lift/360 duration cam, 19.8:1 compression, nitrous, billet wheels, billet virgin rubber tires, custom molded seat & titanium wheelie bar. Total cost of build $1.2M
kslg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 11:24 AM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

CopperTop wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslg View Post
The miles till empty is real close too, it is conservative by about 20 miles. If I fill up when it says 20 miles till empty, I have almost a gallon left (+/- 40 miles left).
I don't trust that miles-til-empty thing and no one can explain if it uses a constant MPG or is dynamic based on conditions (the way most car computers are). I left for work one morning (45 mile trip) and the reserve said I had 75 miles til empty. I was forty miles into the trip and it was down to zero.

Had anyone tried the Fill-N-Go funnel?

Fill-N-Go Fuel Tank Funnel

The Fill & Go fuel tank adapter eliminates fuel spills and splash back during fill-ups, and reduces time at the pump. Just insert the Fill & Go over the fuel pump nozzle, and begin filling-up. When the pump clicks off, your tank is full, with no need to top off the tank. Kit includes Fill & Go tank adapter and a convenient storage pouch.

99894-09

Universal.

H-D online price: US $17.56.
CopperTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 02:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

roadglidermike wants to know Dino or Syn?
I do the same thing.....Fill it til it stops then take the next few mins nursing the tank full. As far as range it depends. If Im hammering it light to light and beating it hard I get 190 miles to a tank. If Im on the hwy and cruising at 70 then its closer to 260. I have a V&H pro pipe, race tuner and SE aircleaner.
roadglidermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 03:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Liker of Mid 60's FLH's

ChromeWelder wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by lschultz View Post
I had Zanotti put one of those in the order I got coming from them next week so we will see how it works. The tanks are a pain in the ass to fill up at most of the stations I use.
Our "obsolete" 5 gallon tanks fill to the very top every time without foaming ....

Near Ouray Colorado...June 2009
ChromeWelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
Premium Member

BioTech wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglidermike View Post
I do the same thing.....Fill it til it stops then take the next few mins nursing the tank full. As far as range it depends. If Im hammering it light to light and beating it hard I get 190 miles to a tank. If Im on the hwy and cruising at 70 then its closer to 260. I have a V&H pro pipe, race tuner and SE aircleaner.
Fill the same way on my 08 Road King with Stage 1 and rineharts. I get about 220 mile till filling and then it takes about 5.4 gallons to fill it back up again. I don't think these tanks are true 6 gallons. I fill up right after i get to r10 then ten miles because it starts flashing after that.
BioTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
IronButt

I don't get any foaming at all. Are you guys going full bore with the pump?

Tank'll hold 6 gallons for sure; I've put 5.7g in before. Remaining miles indicated almost 0 left, probably had about 10-15 miles left?

One of those dark road between towns, I think I'll make it, I think I'll make it, moments.
2008 FLHX, super ram 5000 injection, billet unobtainium frame, raked, stretched, ported, polished, bored +1.076" (requiring sintered unobtainium cylinder liners), .890 lift/360 duration cam, 19.8:1 compression, nitrous, billet wheels, billet virgin rubber tires, custom molded seat & titanium wheelie bar. Total cost of build $1.2M
Old 10-05-2008, 07:56 PM   #22 (permalink)
RUB wanna be

mungo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just went 224 miles on a tank and the fule gauge was on "E", the light was on, and the reserve indication said I only had 19 miles left in the tank.

When when I filled it up, it only took 5 gallons.

The fuel gauge and reserve indicator seem to be a little conservative on my bike, but I think it could be a good thing.

In terms of filling it up, so far about 8 out of ten times, I wind up spewing it out like a geyser from the fill up. I'm gong to have to pop the console on it to make certain I get all the gas cleaned up from between the rubber and the paint.

I may actually try one of those fill up tricks from HD. $20 is a lot better than $400 for new clear coat on the tank.

2004 Night Train
2009 Street Glide
mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:38 PM   #23 (permalink)
FNG :)

oldman harley wants to know Dino or Syn?
I usually get 210 to 225 on a tank and it takes 4 to 41/2 gals, sometimes the low fuel light is on and sometimes it's not? The most I ever put in it was 5.1 and 230mi. I think the gage is fairly accurate as is the miles to go but both are conservative. The first 3 times I put gas in it splashed out, trying to get to much in too fast. Now I shove the nozel all the way in and when it shuts off pull it out slightly and start again untill a second shut off and them be done with it. I haven't spilled any since the 4th time I filled up about 10,000mi ago.

TIM
oldman harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
IronButt

dirtdobber wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 07 Ultra so I only have a 5 gallon tank. I always fill up with the bike straight up when on trips or have a none stop ride; I know I am not suppose to but what can I say.
I am able to get 170-185 miles before the fuel light comes on. I have gotten 220 miles to a tank but it was not by choice, Still had
.3 gallon left if it only holds 5 gallons.
With our gas shortage here in north Alabama I keep 10 gallons on hand but fill on the side stand.
I just rode 130 miles to get to Birmingham and have a little over 1/2 tank but I will fill up before I head out toward home. I can find high test here (Birmingham) so I will have at least 1/2 tank when I get home.
I do not have that problem getting it full.

I do not go by my fuel guage that much because you will rarely get the same mpg but when you get use to your fuel guage it is helpfull. I use 1 of my trip meters to get an idea as how far I can go. I allways run my bikes completely out of fuel so I have an idea as how far I can go.

jim

Last edited by dirtdobber; 10-06-2008 at 11:29 AM.
dirtdobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

I've never had a splash back problem with my '08.

Y'all may be sticking the nozzle in too far, splashing it off the hump in the center of the tank and/or squeezing it in too fast. I find bikes can never take fuel as fast as cars.

I put the nozzle in so the spring on the pump nozzle is about 1/2" above the top of the filler (threaded part), then only squeeze about 1/2 flow on the pump; slowing way down when it's almost full.

The first time it clicks off it is completely full, gauge needle right against the pin.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

BCguy wants to know Dino or Syn?
To get a complete fill when on a trip I put the bike up on the centre stand (Wheeldock) and keep trickling gas in till it's right to the top. Takes a few minutes but I know it's full.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:20 AM   #27 (permalink)
72FX/04Ultra

fauskar wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yikes, a lot of work is going into filling tanks to the briim lately.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:25 AM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

wichitagreg wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes, I can fill my bike to the brim.

The 09 has a count-down odometer. There are four positions on the odometer --
odometer
trip 1
trip 2
miles of fuel remaining

It switchs on when the fuel light comes on.

I've noticed my 09 Ultra has a much more accurate fuel gauge.

Greg
wichitagreg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #29 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

04ctd wants to know Dino or Syn?
fauskar, i asked about carrying spare gas over here:
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/of...-new-post.html

it's annoying to me to have to stop for gas all the time.
I agree with BCguy, it's worth getting it completely full, esp if you are riding where stations are OUT of gas.
but it's time consuming.

supposa meet up with KSLG this Thursday & ride, maybe if we get there early, I will let him fill up my bike and see if i am off my rocker.
04ctd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 01:43 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

idbeast wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperTop View Post
I don't trust that miles-til-empty thing and no one can explain if it uses a constant MPG or is dynamic based on conditions (the way most car computers are). I left for work one morning (45 mile trip) and the reserve said I had 75 miles til empty. I was forty miles into the trip and it was down to zero.

Had anyone tried the Fill-N-Go funnel?

Fill-N-Go Fuel Tank Funnel

The Fill & Go fuel tank adapter eliminates fuel spills and splash back during fill-ups, and reduces time at the pump. Just insert the Fill & Go over the fuel pump nozzle, and begin filling-up. When the pump clicks off, your tank is full, with no need to top off the tank. Kit includes Fill & Go tank adapter and a convenient storage pouch.

99894-09

Universal.

H-D online price: US $17.56.
Yes it works well; just remove it before trying to top the tank off!
idbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement