cruise control for older ultra : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
gpp
IronButt

gpp wants to know Dino or Syn?
cruise control for older ultra

is there a way to adapt the newer cruise control on a 89 ultra?that was the first year for cruise but its all together differrant than the later ones.seems to me you should be able to wire a newer version into it and get rid of that one year mess.anyone have any ideas?
gpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2008, 12:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
ASA Lives

Ultra89Rider wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yes.

Yes.I did it to my 1989 Ultra. But you must change the carburetor to a CV. Be sure to get one that is made for an Ultra. It has the extra cable mount for the cruse cable.

There is an up grade kit put out by Harley for 1990 to 1993 to up grade to the 1994 to 1996 module (the one with the control board built inside the servo), but I don't have the number. It is obsolete, but a dealer might have one on his shelf. If you just use the 1990 - 1993, it uses the separate control board that mounts to the frame.
"lIgh tlhab"
(Ride Free)
. . . .
Ultra89Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
gpp
IronButt

gpp wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the servo module off a 2003 road king,you recon it might work?
gpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Taterdog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Contact Dave at Cruisemount and see what he can do to help. Best addition I've made to my 2000 FLHTCI.
HD Stage 1 Download with PCIII
Ness Big Sucker
Michelin Commanders

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. -- Mark Twain
Taterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Harleypingman wants to know Dino or Syn?
+1 on Cruisemount. Dave, the owner, is a great guy. He used my '04 EG police model as a prototype for a wiring harness for cruise on police EG's. Very professional and extremely knowledgeable. It's been on my bike for 2+ years/25K miles, and works flawlessly.

CMA, Crossties Chapter (GA)
IBA 26580
2004 FLHTPX
Harleypingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
ASA Lives

Not have Electronic Speedometer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpp View Post
I have the servo module off a 2003 road king,you recon it might work?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterdog View Post
Contact Dave at Cruisemount and see what he can do to help. Best addition I've made to my 2000 FLHTCI.
One thing that MUST be remembered is that your motorcycle has a mechanical Speedometer. All Road Kings/FLHR (all years) and all Touring models after 2000 have electronic speedometers. The Road Kings had an Electronic speedometer. NOT the 1985 and earlier FLHT with the fairing removed. The servo must have a part number no later than -98. All currently available cruise control kits are for the Electronic speedometer.
"lIgh tlhab"
(Ride Free)
. . . .
Old 09-11-2008, 04:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

pajoe wants to know Dino or Syn?
I did not do this, but have been looking into replacing the cruise on our '90 Ultra.

Most of the older cruise control units and parts are obsolete and hard to find unless you want to buy used.The upgrade kit mention previously is long gone, obsolete and rare these days.

The older bikes used a "REED SWITCH" on the back of the speedometer to provide the reference signal for the cruise control and volume level control, I think this is equal to the signal produced by the transmission speed sensor currently used for cruise.

I also think model year 2004 is the lastest year that Harley makes an independent cruise control in the latest Harley Accessory catalog. The newer CV carbs used a different type button for the actual cruise control hookup to the carburetor - however, they seem to be completely interchangeable as I swapped the control lever from my '90 with the one on a 2004? CV carb I purchased that had the newer style cruise button connector.

I think your best chance is to make sure you have a working reed switch setup on the back of the speedometer or switch to a newer style transmission case that allows the speed sensor, and purchase the Harley accessory cruise for model year 2004 -OR check the on the '03 unit you have to see if it is the same as the independent system they sell ( maybe a dealer will let you look at the kit to see what all is in it. It may be the independent system just has the control switches too, and you may not need them. You will also need the matching "button style" control lever for a new cv carb , the bikes with cruise also had special idle cables so you could turn off the cruise by closing the throttle.

Wiring is another story, I do not have much on that other than know you need to run a new circuit as the older servo motors did not draw as much current as the newer stepper motors . As far as I know there are no plug and play kits out there , you will need to do it all by yourself.

http://www.cruisemount.com has some good useful information but I don't think they sell a kit for yours or mine.

I am led to believe the following transmission case will work with a '90 flhtcu

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...yId=#altImages

Once again, I did not do this yet but these are the things I am led to believe are true- if you do it, be kind and keep track of what you buy (part numbers etc) and did to make it work and post it to help others in the future.

Last edited by pajoe; 09-11-2008 at 04:26 AM.
pajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
ASA Lives

Cruise Kit Part Numbers

Here are the Kit part numbers for the mechanical speedometer. All of these are Obsolete, but you might find them on some dealer's shelf. They come with the switches and housings required to add the Cruise Control. All kits 1996 and later are the current switch housings.

Original Parts & Accessory COMPLETE cruise control kit (FLHT ONLY)
Prices are those listed in the Harley Accessory Catalog.

1994 and 1995 - 77141-94A (can upgrade 1989 to 1993 models) ($487.99)

1996 - 77141-96A ($487.99) Cable changed from the screw type ends to the clip type.

1997 - 77107-97A ($398.99)

1998-2001 - 77165-98 ($399.99)

With the current Cruise Control, you have the Idle cable(56351- 90). Cable changed from the screw type ends to the clip type in 1996 (56351-96).
When the battery went under the seat, the cruise servo went under the side cover. With the oil tank on the side, the servo can be mounted under the seat. (77141-94A comes with the bracket to mount it there)

Good luck
"lIgh tlhab"
(Ride Free)
. . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement