Having major problems with Fly by Wire throttle!!! : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

roadglidermike wants to know Dino or Syn?
Angry Having major problems with Fly by Wire throttle!!!

I bought an 08 FLTR on the 22 of July from Hal's Harley in New Berlin Wi. I had the 1000 mile service done there as well as a V&H pro pipe and race tuner and air cleaner on the 2nd of Aug. I went for a ride that afternoon about 120 miles with no issues all was well. Sunday morning I decided to take the bike for a long slow ride down to the southside of Chicago. The bike ran well for the first hour or so. I stopped to grab a bite to eat at a Fast food joint came out to start the bike and leave and had a major problem. The bike would start and idle but I had no throttle. I tried to reset the idle on the bike by turning the key on and off 5 times. That didn't work. I left the bike sit for about an hour then tried again. It fired up but my throttle has very sluggish. I shut it down and restarted the bike again It was all ok. I got on the bike shifted into gear and again no throttle response. I then waited four hours for a tow and was towed to Wildfire Harley in Villa Park Il. The mechanic there on Sunday reproduced the problem and said it was a bad throttle body and that a recall was out for the fuel pump shell and said he could fix it on monday. Wildfire called Monday to say that they could not find any issues with the throttle. I called the motor company and they said that they would do what they could to fix this issue. How can I trust a 20,000 bike that has a fly by wire setup for the throttle that broke in the middle of the summer? What will happen when I take the bike out in the rain or in Dec for the Toys for Tots run. I actually got a call from a service writer at Wildfire today telling me that whn he turns the turnsignals on all 4 signals flash I told him thats the alarm right......He said hw wasn't aware the the bike came from the factory with one. How am I supposed to trust a dealer that does'nt even know the bikes that the sell. How do I trust a bike that has 1300 miles and the throttle is broken already? Anyone else having issues with the fly by wire setup.
roadglidermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2008, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

2Alpha wants to know Dino or Syn?
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/to...ike-today.html

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/to...ed-advice.html

Sounds exactly like the problem I had.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

roadglidermike wants to know Dino or Syn?
How did the dealer fix the issue?
roadglidermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglidermike View Post
How did the dealer fix the issue?

A couple gallons of gas and a match.

It's still sitting in the shop. They are waiting to see if more problems arise and see if HD comes up with a fix. At this point they have close to 70 hours of shop time invested and will only get paid 2 hours for the work they did. They will just let the bike sit until someone else comes up with something or until it's the last 2008 left and they are forced to try to fix it.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Montyl wants to know Dino or Syn?
roadglide,

I picked up my '08 Ultra Dec 31, as of today it has almost 8200 miles on it, and I have only had one problem with it and it was the high idle issue. To the best of my knowledge the off and on cycling is only to fix the high idle issue, is doesnt really reset the computer.
Montyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

broken arrow wants to know Dino or Syn?
montyl do you still have high idle issues? my uncle has the same problem with his road king, all the dealers hes been to have no fix. bike was just purchased.
broken arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

wassup8687 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sorry to hear about the throttle problem.

I just read about a fix for the high idle though. I think it was a flash to the ECM.
wassup8687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Montyl wants to know Dino or Syn?
The cause of the high idle so far has been people leaning on the throttle when turning the bike off. When the bike is turned off the current position of the throttle is saved as position 0 (zero). So far the rumored software update to the ECM has not been disseminated to the authorized dealers. The interim fix is to use right hand, and with the kill switch in the run position, turn the ignition on for a couple of seconds and then turn it off. Repeat this cycle 4-5 times. This is supposed to reset the saved throttle position to true 0 (zero).
Tell you uncle to use his right hand to turn the ignition off, and not to use the kill switch, and his problem may go away.
Montyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:32 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

bobros wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Alpha View Post
A couple gallons of gas and a match.

It's still sitting in the shop. They are waiting to see if more problems arise and see if HD comes up with a fix. At this point they have close to 70 hours of shop time invested and will only get paid 2 hours for the work they did. They will just let the bike sit until someone else comes up with something or until it's the last 2008 left and they are forced to try to fix it.
Man that sucks. I'd be goin nuts.
bobros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobros View Post
Man that sucks. I'd be goin nuts.
It killed almost a full month of riding. I had a rental for a week. I picked up my new bike today, so life is good again.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

ViennaHog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglidermike View Post
I bought an 08 FLTR on the 22 of July from Hal's Harley in New Berlin Wi. I had the 1000 mile service done there as well as a V&H pro pipe and race tuner and air cleaner on the 2nd of Aug. I went for a ride that afternoon about 120 miles with no issues all was well. Sunday morning I decided to take the bike for a long slow ride down to the southside of Chicago. The bike ran well for the first hour or so. I stopped to grab a bite to eat at a Fast food joint came out to start the bike and leave and had a major problem. The bike would start and idle but I had no throttle. I tried to reset the idle on the bike by turning the key on and off 5 times. That didn't work. I left the bike sit for about an hour then tried again. It fired up but my throttle has very sluggish. I shut it down and restarted the bike again It was all ok. I got on the bike shifted into gear and again no throttle response. I then waited four hours for a tow and was towed to Wildfire Harley in Villa Park Il. The mechanic there on Sunday reproduced the problem and said it was a bad throttle body and that a recall was out for the fuel pump shell and said he could fix it on monday. Wildfire called Monday to say that they could not find any issues with the throttle. I called the motor company and they said that they would do what they could to fix this issue. How can I trust a 20,000 bike that has a fly by wire setup for the throttle that broke in the middle of the summer? What will happen when I take the bike out in the rain or in Dec for the Toys for Tots run. I actually got a call from a service writer at Wildfire today telling me that whn he turns the turnsignals on all 4 signals flash I told him thats the alarm right......He said hw wasn't aware the the bike came from the factory with one. How am I supposed to trust a dealer that does'nt even know the bikes that the sell. How do I trust a bike that has 1300 miles and the throttle is broken already? Anyone else having issues with the fly by wire setup.

Find out how to check the trouble code using the speedometer diagnostics. Come back with the trouble codes and we can go from there. Does the engine control light stay on for a few sec after start up?
The new FBW bike have a few safeguards to prevent the actuator from doing stupid sh$t and one of them is engine power management up to forced shut down. Ask me how I know.
ViennaHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:08 AM   #12 (permalink)
TBo
IronButt

TBo wants to know Dino or Syn?
That is messed up. The dealer needs to get on it and get some answers. Your bike cannot be the only bike in the nation or the world that has this problem. They need to get on the horn w/ MOCo and get some answers. Having your new XXX$$$ something bike in the shop for this long is crazy. It all electronic, they should be able to replace the parts and good to go.
TBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:30 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Krayven Sumhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBo View Post
It all electronic, they should be able to replace the parts and good to go.
Yep, for sure they'll start changing parts. Who knows if it's the right one.......
(Techs = Parts Changers)
Krayven Sumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
Wrench This

Seadub2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bad throttle bodies, loose fuel injector connectors, cracked fuel pump filter canisters, closed-loop ECM that runs hot as he_l, ride-by-wire that don't work right - all this high tech stuff causing all these problems.

I vote we go back to cabled throttles, carburetors, pull chokes and gravity-fed fuel.

Uh oh, there I go dreaming again!!

C.W.

A lot of expensive Harley bolt on/stick on stuff.
Seadub2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

racklefratz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadub2 View Post
I vote we go back to cabled throttles, carburetors, pull chokes and gravity-fed fuel.
You're kidding, right? God, I hope so. Going back from FI to carbs, all that kind of crap, is just silly. Let's get rid of all the cars, and go back to horses while we're at it, right?

Yeah...that'll be an improvement.
racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement