V-Twin Forum banner

08 Ultra and rinehart true duals

8K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  claydbal 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Ultra and I am scheduled to have Rinehart true duals with stage1 next week. I have read some concerns about poor low end torque, rougher idle without the crossover, etc. Looking for opinions on this setup. thank you in advance.

#2 ·
rjp;
I did this on my 08 bagger, as well as on the 06 before that. Might be a little loss of low end, but not that noticable (imo). Guess the trade off would be a stronger pulling top end - if you're getting it there. I pretty much run mine between 2K and 3K 99% of the time anyway. I really haven't noticed any roughness in the idle?

The real benefit to me was the reduction in heat. These new ones run hot anyway, and that crossover is a killer for a passenger, and even for the rider in this Texas heat (DFW area)! And of course, the sound is just better with the "stereo" effect.

That's my-2$en#e-worth!

Ride Safe Bro - whatever ya got!

#3 ·
rjp,

Are you going to race your machine on the strip? Or stand around your local shop comparing Dyno runs with everyone? As long as you answered no to either or both questions, I am sure you will love it once you are done. About a month and half ago I put the Rinehart Tru-Duals, Quieter baffles, Big Sucker, and PC III USB on my '08 Ultra. And you know what I love it, sounds REALLY good, runs great and feels awesome.

How are you going to fix your AFR once you add the Rineharts? Be aware that the download for your ECM that many dealers offer is made for Screaming Eagle slip-ons, not a set of Tru-Duals.

#4 ·
I would go to the dealer or a rally and listen to the two two different pipes, true duals,or two into one. Thats what I did and I walked away with the true duals. I've done some engine work but like the low end, and they do come on strong around 3k giving a better top end. True duals for sound and top end, two into one for low end torque up to 2k, and thats all i'm saying:beatdh:

#6 ·
I had them on my 06 when it was stock and thought they were great with a nice dyno curve to match. When I did a 98" with 37 cams the tq dip was huge and changed them out for a 2 into 1.

If I had a 96" and planned to leave it stock I'd buy them again. If I were doing a build, I'd really study to see it the dip would be there.

Chris

#12 ·
The quiet baffles are additional, so run them stock to see how you like the sound. I thought mine were great and have not heard any others that I thought were too loud and I'm noise sensitive.

To change you will need a retune as it will scavange better at lower RPM so it could become lean, even though my tuner does a bunch, they had not done any with the quiet baffles. That was why I didn't want the learning experience if it didn't work and just bought a new pipe on my old bike.

Later if you do some sort of build and want to make sure it doesn't get to loud you could buy the baffles then since you'll need the tune anyway.

Chris

#8 ·
rjp,

{There are 2 different True Dual Exhaust systems that we manufacture, the Rinehart True Duals and the BUB 7 True Duals. The BUB 7 True Duals is the quieter system. Both sets of True Duals will be louder than stock. There are optional quiet baffles available for the Rinehart True Duals and a new quiet baffles will be available soon for the BUB 7 system. The Rinehart True Dual will come with a standard baffle installed, this is the loudest baffle for the system. Quiet baffles when installed can drop the decibel level from 4-6 db. With sound issues being a top concern for you, I would recommend the BUB 7 Series exhaust systems.
Brad Williams
Tech & Warranty
BUB Enterprises, Inc.}

As far as your tuning question, well it depends on what you are doing with your ECM. Are you going to use Power Commander? If so use their advanced map for this set-up and do not waste any money on a Dyno (this from personal experiance).
So far I have not heard of any tuning differences with a baffle change on the Rineharts.

#11 ·
Rjp,

The stage 1 download is not really what you want and is going to cost about 150.00 dollars. From what all I have heard and been told it is really only for the screaming eagle slip-ons. Save the 150 call Eastern Performance Cycle in maryland they will ship you a Power Commander for a good price. Also DynoJet (maker of Power Commander) has awesome customer support and there maps for your bike are pretty close to spot on out of the box. And the Power Commander is tunable where as the stage 1 download is not so if you do the stage 1 download and your bike doesn run right you still pay and then spend the money for a tuner. You do the math.
As for the difference between Rinehart and Bub 7, well the are both made by Bub Enterprise. The muffler end caps are differnt, none of the parts are interchangeable. But am told the performance between the 2 is compareable so I have been told.

#13 ·
ceraaa42,

not once has what baffles are being used has come up in my conversations with DynoJet, which have been many because both me and a buddy have lots of problems after our local tuner dyno'd our bikes and they run like $%it, (tuner didnt ask what we wanted he tuned both for max horsepower and torque like he wanted it) so now I am back to DynoJet's M818-019 map with a slight mod for decel popping. And with my fuel mileage it is definitely not running very lean if at all.

rjp
From my experiance (and money spent) with my '08 Ultra, put the TD's, Big Sucker, and PC3 USB with the M818-019 map in it on your bike and ride it. If you are not in a noise sensitive area leave the baffles alone.

#14 ·
So I guess what you're saying is the quiet baffles will not increase back pressure and thus will not scavage better at low rpm and have a lean condition then, right?

If so, this would be contrary to what Mike Stegman at Latus motors told me, or do you feel he's not a respected tuner and does not know?

Are you also saying this map you state is a do all map? Or is it just for the TD's & Big Sucker.

You make interesting statements to say the least, or maybe the PCIII has really came a long was since I had my last one. It had to be tuned to my bike. You may not realize that if you take 3 Harleys all modified the same the maps will be different, or maybe not if this map you state really is the do all.

Chris

#15 ·
Ceraaa,

I do not recall mentioning any names other then DynoJet. And in my conversations with one of their tuners who has a fair amount of experiance has said that of the newer bikes with the same components they run fairly consistent.
The map that I use and mentioned previously is for an 08 touring, with Rinehart TD, and high flow air filter.

and from my experiance with my bike I could have saved 200.00 dollars on the dyno, since the map they created was so wacked out the only thing I would use it for is a bad example.

Something also to keep in mind is that a dyno tune is not the cure all either. For example if the air temp is high when tuned and low when you ride there will be a difference in your AFR, as will altitude changes.

#16 ·
As I would tell anyone; for the cost of one of these motorcycles, and then add in the customizations, I would think it whould be worth the extra $50 to $60 to have it checked on a dyno. Then there would be no guessing where the fuel stands and no question that it may or may not be lean in areas of the map.

BTW, the tune you described was a waste and he owes you a refund. If it were tuned correctly it would have ran correctly.

Chris

#17 ·
My experience.
06 SG, 95 SE kit, SE cams, Power Commander, & Rinehart True Duals from dealer at sale (SE 6-speed later).

I went later with the quiet baffles also. Not much quieter, but maybe some. I also did the Dyno after 1000 miles. Ran smoother, +5mpg increase, no stumble, and pulled without any real "dip" i could feel enough to say "yup-dip". It made enough difference to me (DYNO) that I would spend the money again.

Power Commander made a difference in how my bike runs, in my opinion, compared to my friends Ultra with almost the exact same add-ons.

ONLY issue I had with the True Duals, is that I bought a Heel Guard for the rear left peg. When anyone rides on the back they always mark the curve of the pipe there. It works and fixed it.

just my 2 cents.

#18 ·
Chris,

as for refund right now the if i get anywhere near that service department it will be with a baseball bat, same as my buddy that had his done 2 days after mine and has had many problems also. Right now I am extremely satisfied with the support I have gotten from DynoJet. Now if I had been a little more patient and able to wait for Zippers to get their Auto-Tune out for the fly-by-wire I wouldn't have had any of these issues, but when fools rush in..............

Camera,

can you point me towards a website that has this heel guard you put on the left side? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.