Tri-Glide owners thread - Page 53 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #781 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

joeychitwood wants to know Dino or Syn?
A friend and I tore into the Tri Glide Saturday morning at 0800. We removed the stock slip-on mufflers, removed the stock header/catalytic converter, removed the stock air cleaner, installed a Jackpot stainless steel 2-1-2 header, replaced the stock slip-ons, installed a new high-flow Stage 1 air cleaner and re-flashed the ECM with a new tune using the Dynojet Power Vison from Fuel Moto.

The job went well, but here are a few pointers for anyone thinking about doing a similar job:
  • The Jackpot SS header has a squared-off billet flange, unlike the tapered stock flange. Thus, the stock replacement mesh gasket will not fit. I had to use a Cosmetic crush gasket.
  • A new gasket is required to re-mount the cross-over pipe to the new header. Because I did not know this, we had to make a 110 mile round-trip to the H-D dealer in Fargo to purchase one Saturday afternoon.
  • The ECM diagnostic port is under the left side-cover. I thought it was under the seat. I could not find any reference to its location in the service manuals for Touring and Tri Glide bikes or on Google.

Here are some photos from the day. We finished the job at 1930 Saturday evening.

Preparing to work. We jacked up one side of the bike at a time for muffler removal. We bungeed the front brake and engaged the parking brake, as well as blocked up the rear wheel:

Seat, backrest and side-cover removed exposing the O2 sensors:

Mufflers removed:

Floor board and header removed:

Mesh port gasket in place. Must be removed and replaced with crush gasket:

Jackpot header installed:

Struggling to remove the metal bracket over the throttle body on stock air cleaner. Requires Allen wrench and a lot of patience:

Throttle body exposed for air cleaner installation:

I took the bike out for a ride after the upgrade, and the improvement was not subtle. There was a tremendous increase in horsepower and quickness. The stock pipes are significantly louder with the catalytic converter gone. The Fuel Moto products fit PERFECTLY.

Last edited by joeychitwood; 10-03-2011 at 09:51 AM.
joeychitwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #782 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Tri-Boomer wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good pics! Yep, I went through the same job in December a couple years back. +1 on the Fuelmoto fit!
Old 10-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #783 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

I purchased a used set of Jackpot carbon fiber slip-ons and installed them yesterday. Unfortunately, they are too loud for comfort. The mufflers are gorgeous, but they are just too noisy for my spouse and I to easily talk or listen to music while touring. I've reinstalled the stock mufflers and will continue my search for the perfect muffler.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #784 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

sprinkman wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had 4" SE pipes on for a while sounded great not to loud just enough rumble when giving it throttle. Took them off because of scrapping the bottoms. Sold them later installed t-glides rear lift bracket now I wish I had them back.
sprinkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #785 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

sprinkman wants to know Dino or Syn?
All most forgot you might want to get a hold of fullsac performance and cut and rebaffle your stock ones.
www.fullsac.com

Last edited by sprinkman; 10-15-2011 at 04:50 PM.
sprinkman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #786 (permalink)
IronButt

OldMsocko wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychitwood View Post
I purchased a used set of Jackpot carbon fiber slip-ons and installed them yesterday. Unfortunately, they are too loud for comfort. The mufflers are gorgeous, but they are just too noisy for my spouse and I to easily talk or listen to music while touring. I've reinstalled the stock mufflers and will continue my search for the perfect muffler.
Follow sprinkman's lead and install the 4" SE mufflers. I have them on my TG and love them.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:04 PM   #787 (permalink)
FNG :)

sidecarjohnny wants to know Dino or Syn?
When people ask if they can ride my bike I say sure,their eyes light up then I say just lay $22,000.00 here in the palms of my hands and enjoy your ride and don't forget to gas it up before you come back!!!.............LOL
sidecarjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #788 (permalink)

sidecarjohnny wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am looking for the chrome trim strips that come off the top of a FLHXXX box when a rack or tour pak is installed.Anyone have some they wouldn't mind parting with?
sidecarjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 06:51 PM   #789 (permalink)
IronButt

bill corkey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriLs View Post
First, congratulations on your new ride! Looks vaguely familiar!

1. The mileage numbers almost seem backwards! I'm getting 30-40 average after the SERT. Should probably do another long-haul to check the numbers on highway and roads separately.

2. I had Spirit delivered with a Stage 1 (SE A/C and V&H slip-ons). Although he didn't seem grossly underpowered one-up around town, the heat was something else. Next mod was a SERT installed almost exactly a year ago. Big difference! He'll pull out in 2nd with no problem and in 6th at 3200 RPM's, we're running the same kind of long gradual upgrade at 93 mph. A bit of right fist still brought the front up with eager acceleration. You might look at the SERT as an option.

3. Agreed! It's much more fun riding when you don't do the "back door pucker" at sand and gravel washes on the blind side of a curve.

4. VERY stable at all speeds and all grades. For others considering a trike, just don't push it too hard on sharp, un-superelevated (banked) curves. The trike will go around just fine...all by itself. You can watch it from your position on the ground behind the guardrail...

5. Statistical hydroplaning is perhaps not even 50 mph in consideration of vehicle weight and patch area.

6. I run the 26 psi stock. If the dealer gave you that advice after you told him about the hydroplaning, go back to him, ask him to stand on his head, and ask him the question again. This time, you might get the right answer. Over-inflation will considerably reduce the speed at which hydroplaning occurs, since the tire profile is altered together with the contact patch area.

Great photo!!!

Tri
hmm, i wonder if that dealer might have been correct regarding hydroplaning. This from a Wikipedia article 'Hydroplaning (tires)':
"Under inflation can cause a tire to deflect inward, raising the tire center and preventing the tread from clearing water".
2006 sportster roadster
bill corkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #790 (permalink)

TattooZ wants to know Dino or Syn?
THANKS joeychitwood for the pics. I think I am going to do a ceramic header this winter. The pics surely help out!!
TattooZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 07:18 PM   #791 (permalink)
I HATE 'bing'...

TriLs wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill corkey View Post
hmm, i wonder if that dealer might have been correct regarding hydroplaning. This from a Wikipedia article 'Hydroplaning (tires)':
"Under inflation can cause a tire to deflect inward, raising the tire center and preventing the tread from clearing water".
Under-inflation can, indeed, cause that depending upon the construction of the tire and the flexibility of the carcass. That's why I run the recommended inflation pressure.

Over-inflation will have the reverse effect: Cause the tread to balloon and reduce the patch area.

Just sayin'...

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble,
it's what you know for sure that just ain't so..."

Mark Twain

Live well...Love faithfully...Laugh often.

"Spirit", a Vivid Black '09 TriGlide, 103" stock, V&H Dresser slipons,
SE Stage 1 A/C, SERT, fairing-mounted oil temp, Zumo 660, small
bits o' glitz, and HD foggies on dedicated foot pegs.

http://www.ecclesia-ministries.org

TriLs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM   #792 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprinkman View Post
All most forgot you might want to get a hold of fullsac performance and cut and rebaffle your stock ones. www.fullsac.com
Interesting product. Has anyone heard the "Quiet" 1.75 inch baffle recore? How loud is it compared to stock?
Old 03-01-2012, 09:37 AM   #793 (permalink)

Black Tri wants to know Dino or Syn?
I will be getting my 20,000 mile service done tomorrow at my dealer. I am going to put Amsoil in the engine and Red Line in the transmission and primary. I am doing this in hopes that it will cool the Tri down some. Has anyone else runs these fluids and if so how did it work out for you. Also I was plesantly surprised when I paid for the oil that I paid less than I did for Syn III at the dealer.

Ride Safe All
Black Tri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #794 (permalink)
?????

msocko3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tri View Post
I will be getting my 20,000 mile service done tomorrow at my dealer. I am going to put Amsoil in the engine and Red Line in the transmission and primary. I am doing this in hopes that it will cool the Tri down some. Has anyone else runs these fluids and if so how did it work out for you. Also I was plesantly surprised when I paid for the oil that I paid less than I did for Syn III at the dealer.

Ride Safe All
I just switched to Amsoil this past fall before I put mine away so I'm not help there. I have run Redline shock proof heavy in the trans since the 1,000 mile service, its good stuff. The primary I run Formula+, it has proven to be a better oil with the compensator.

Red Bike Powered By Head-Quarters 120.. Easier Clutch Pull By ClutchWIZ.com
2012 GL1800 Hannigan.
msocko3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #795 (permalink)

Black Tri wants to know Dino or Syn?
msocko3, will let you know how this works out as I will be going to Daytona for Bike Week next weekend and with the traffic it get hot.
Black Tri is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.