Ultra vs Goldwing - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Flying low

DBotkin wants to know Dino or Syn?
Just my 2 cents' worth: I have talked to several people who have owned both a Wing and a Harley. IN each case, they have told me the GL1800 is faster (duh!!) but they have to stop more often for gas, and the Ultra Classic is more comfortable. Had a complete stranger tell me that yesterday, in fact. He was on a GL1800, used to have an EG Classic, said the 'Glide was more comfortable and he was going to sell his Wing.

I've never been on a Wing, so I can't speak from my own experience, it's just what people tell me.

Free, personalized travel maps at mytriplogs.com

DBotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 01:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

killerbob wants to know Dino or Syn?
Prices in Europe is not allways "harleys fault" - but most european countries have some sort of luxury tax on bikes ..

My 08 ultra was USD 127.000 ... And no I am NOT kidding ... A little extras is in that price but a bone stock two-tone colour here is USD 116.000 (incl ABS)... All caused by 25% VAT AND 180% TAX .. Still not kidding - If you dont pay you will not get a licenceplate

To the question: I'm sure you'll get most "Ultra" replys here - and most "Wing" replys on a goldwing forum... You'll have to try both and make your own opinion. When you do - please make ´sure you try a 08 Ultra - the difference to earlier models is huge.

I have tried a Wing. Allthough it's fast it didn't do it for me - Feels like a car where they just forgot to mount tha last two wheels - and too much plastic
Old 06-10-2008, 02:19 AM   #18 (permalink)
rmd
Lifetime Premium

rmd wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have always been a Harley man but which makes me think about goldwing is its appealing price.15K is good money for me. We in Turkey pay %18 VAT and %37 luxury tax which is same both bikes. But main thing about the price difference is we are buying harleys in euros hondas in dollars. I asked this question in Harley forum cause I know your feelings about goldwing would be same like me. I don't wan't to buy a "car" and i don't want to pay the difference. By the way we can't import second hand vehicles. It will be hard for my heart if i buy wing and it will be hard for my pocket if i buy ultra.

'08 EG Standard Pacific Blue Pearl with ABS
103" 10.5:1 pistons Woods TW408-44
PCV with deactivated autotune
V&H Propipe BP
V&H VO2 Air Cleaner

'96 Fatboy
Wiseco 10.1 pistons Mikuni HSR 42
Hypercharger Andrews EV-27
Supertrapp 2:1 (8 discs with open end cap)
Crane Hi-4 ignition Autometer tach
Goodridge steel brake lines
rmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
IronButt

Seahag wants to know Dino or Syn?
Having never owned a wing [but wanting one when I was a kid in the 80's] I have no real opinion on the ride differences. I do know that money is a major motivation in every purchase I make, or I wouldn't have half the stuff I own now...so that makes me think I'd lean towards the wing.

What I really wanted to chime in here for though, is to commend those who weighed in with thoughtful input, instead of slamming this guy from the outset for posing his question on a harley forum. It's refreshing to see not all harley owners here are completely close-minded.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
FNG :)

cmhogan2776 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wing V Ultra

Just my opinion.
I have a 2001 Goldwing. On the wing, I have been as far north as Cape Breton Nova Scotia and as far south as Key West. (With multiple runs on "The Dragon". What I can say is, the gearing on the wing is high. Average is 3300rpm for 75+ with some minor vibration. Runs very cool at higher speeds, the audio is excellent. You will need to get a set of highway pegs to stretch a bit. While the saddle is comfortable and the new configuration is ergonomic it doesn't leave a lot of "wiggle" room. The integrated braking is second to none there is no need for ABS if you took any of the Rider Ed classes.
Low speed riding is good, hard to do really tight maneuvers with the frame mounted faring, but according to the Zumo 550 the lowest speed Iíve stayed upright is 2.3 mph so I would say the bike has some nice balance.
I rode the 2008 UC and fell in love. The seat is perfect, great balance, gearing is lower so you sacrifice the speed and power for over all smoothness and ride ability. The audio is second to none. I have been told(not needed it so far) but the abs was a must so I got it.

Iíve only got a few hundred miles on her but what I can tell you is this:

Speed
Power
Maneuverability at higher speeds
Water-cooled
Excellent braking
You want a gold wing

6 speed transmission
Incredible ride
Low speed maneuverability
Lots of trunk space
ABS
You want an Ultra
cmhogan2776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
rmd
Lifetime Premium

I went to dealer and after some calculations the price difference fell to 11.500dollars. I am nearer to a new ultra now.

V&H Propipe BP
V&H VO2 Air Cleaner

'96 Fatboy

Last edited by rmd; 06-10-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
IronButt

Maxum96 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I was recently in the same boat, Ultra or Goldwing. The wing is a great bike. Fast, reliable, well built, comfy, etc. The Ultra is a great bike too. Great styling, easy to work on, well built, virtually no plastic, and feels like a motorcycle. I was looking at buying a 2008 model of one of those 2 bikes. The deciding factor in my case was cost. I bought the Ultra because I was able to buy if for $3,000 under MSRP. If I'd been able to get the same deal on the Goldwing, I very well might have been riding a Goldwing instead. With all that said, you can't go wrong with either bike. You'll just have to get what your heart wants and wallet can afford.

Maxum96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

styff1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd View Post
Hi;
I am thinking to buy a new bike. I am a Harley fan but goldwing also looks like a good option. I want to go long, fast and comfortable rides with my wife. Because of that I will keep both bikes completely stock. In Turkey the price of ultra with abs is 50k$ and goldwing is 35k$. Should i pay 15k more for ultra or go for goldwing? I will also keep my 96 Fatboy which is always my favourite bike.
Thanks in advance
Buy the Wing and forget the Hd bs!
styff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #24 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

JBA111 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nothin eats away the LONG hi speed miles like a wing, Nothin!! But nothin is more fun to ride than the Ultra, Nothin!!!
The Wing and the LT are time and space travelin machines, the Ultra is a motorcycle
I found I was usually runnin preaty fast to have some fun on the Wing, I ride the same roads on the Ultra slower, I think it's just cause its a fun bike to ride and ya don't have to kick the speed way up to enjoy the ride and the 08s are one hell of a bike.....
JBA111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #25 (permalink)
Premium Member

Buddha4 wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I lived in Izmir there were a couple of Americans that owned HD's They enjoyed having the bikes vs Americans that owned the Japanese bikes.

If you bought the 96 Fatboy new you certainly keep the bikes a long enough time. You can ask yourself would you have still kept a 96 Honda cruiser?

If not then would you really want a Honda 10 years from now?
Old 06-11-2008, 03:10 AM   #26 (permalink)
rmd
Lifetime Premium

I'm %90 on the ultra side. There are 2 colours black and red. Can you please post candy red sunglo pics? I have to see it from the real world not from harley's website

V&H Propipe BP
V&H VO2 Air Cleaner

'96 Fatboy
Old 06-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #27 (permalink)
<><

PR3VS56 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I once took a weekend road trip with a couple Honda guys on GWs. They were curious about my ride and I was curious about theirs -- so we switched for a few hours. You can have your Goldwings, I'll keep my Harley. Didn't like anything about them. Riding position was uncomfortable for me, didn't feel connected to the road at all. It reminded me of a BMW vs Lexus commercial several years ago, where BMW exaggerated the isolation of the Lexus driver from the road.

If you can swing it, I'm sure you'd be happier in the long run with an Ultra. Have you considered a Road Glide? Fixed fairing makes a world of difference on long trips. $2500 price diff, you can add a tour pak to the RG & you're right there -- maybe save a few bucks in the process. Just a thought..

EDIT: For that matter, sell your Fat Boy, build the snot out of a Road Glide with removable tour pak, you'll have 2 bikes in 1.

I keep 2 seats, 2 windshields, and the detachable tour pak for mine -- works great!!

'05 FLTRI, totaled 10/17/08.
105tq/107hp

'00 FLHRCI, sold.

Proverbs 3:5-6
Fruit of the Spirit

Living under God's grace. Forgiven, not perfect.

Last edited by PR3VS56; 06-11-2008 at 08:10 AM.
PR3VS56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:24 AM   #28 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Whamrick wants to know Dino or Syn?
Black vs Candy Red Sunglo

Quote:
I'm %90 on the ultra side. There are 2 colours black and red. Can you please post candy red sunglo pics? I have to see it from the real world not from harley's website
Buy the Candy Red Sunglo!

Whamrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

MountainMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
I went to dealer and after some calculations the price difference fell to 11.500dollars. I am nearer to a new ultra now.
My advice to you is to save up and get what you really want. Seems to me like you want the Harley, and if that is the case, you probably won't be happy with the Honda even though you save a lot of money on it.

After I rode my first rented H-D in 1995 I told myself I would not buy another motorcycle until I could afford one. It took 7 more years before that happened, in 2002, and now I'm on my 3rd Harley. Could not have been happier.

Cheers
MM
Old 06-11-2008, 09:03 AM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

bc_hombre wants to know Dino or Syn?
here's a third option..........................go bmw as they have a trade agreement with germany. you used to be able to buy a 100rt for 6k less than in north america. bro in ankara bought his there when he saw the #'s 8 years ago. why do you not just purchase here and container it over? surely it would not cost you the diff in shipping costs, or is there some registration nightmare on importation?
97 hp
TW26g
v&h pro pipes
SERT
k&n air
hog tunes amp plus 6 speakers
grateful dead sticker
bc_hombre is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement