radio on a road king : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2008, 08:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

800moder wants to know Dino or Syn?
radio on a road king

Has anyone put a radio on thier road king? would like to have some music while on the long rides but want to hide it as best as i can. Or has some one have a good looking set up they have used? What are my options?
800moder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2008, 08:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

FirNaTineNJ wants to know Dino or Syn?
Hey,

I have an 07 RK Custom & used this system...

http://www.uniqcycle.com/Classic_Edi...m_p/ucs-ce.htm

I have the speaker housings mounted on my crash bars facing up toward me. Most people don't even notice them & ask me where the music is coming from or they assume their spot lights (don't know why, they're facing backwards???). They could be louder, but they're great for up to about 70mph or so, with the windshield on. With the shield off, you can't hear them too well at anything over 40 - 50 mph due to the wind noise...

Good luck & ride safe,

C
K&N A/C
V&H FuelPak
FirNaTineNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

EBOB1054 wants to know Dino or Syn?
i put a roadtech hd radio on a 03 rk in 04 and could hear the music real good upto 80mph then in 06 in sturgis i bought the earplugs that they pour in your ear and i got the ones with plug wire for any player. now i use my xm pioneer nano . the good thing is that you can still hear your bike but none of the air noise.now i have an $800 radio plus installation $ that i hardly ever listen to . i wish i had got the xm in 04. but he radio still works good for the local station when needed
EBOB1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 11:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

gtsdesigns wants to know Dino or Syn?
i did put a ipod (flushed into the tank console) a small amp and 2 6x9s in one of my friends bikes, sounded good enough for what he wanted and did not take up too much space... (everyone wondered where the music was coming from)...

there are several companies that make small speakers that mount to the crash bars... let me see if i can track a few of my friends down and get back to you with some picts...

you mentioned long rides, so you prob want to keep as much space in the bags as possible right?
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/to...aker-pods.html <
gtsdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 02:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

99igor wants to know Dino or Syn?
Check here.
I know one of the designers and the company is stand up and quality stuff.

99FLHTCI 1550
Bishops Preformance Hammer Heads stage 2
Se 10.25:1 pistons
Zippers 50mm throttle body
S&S 570 gear drive
Zippers air cleaner
Supertrapp Supermeg exhaust
Zippers Thunder Max with Auto Tune

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are
99igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

lesrrt wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had a Sirius Stiletto mounted to the handlebar of my 06 Dyna, soon to be on the new RK( will post pics when finished). Basically hard wired via a dock with headphone extention under the tank coming in between the seat. There, I plug the isolation headphones in. Yeah, you don't hear much but your bike running but bufferting is gone and you can ride A very long time without fatigue.
lesrrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Gunxddslinger wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've got a detach fairing from Dead Center Cycles. Works great...

If anyone is interested it's for sale...$1000.00 + shipping with stereo, Sirius Radio, FLHX windshield, chrome windshield trim....it's ready to go if have a Gunmetal Pearl Road King, if not, it just needs paint....

I've got about $2300.00 into it, but that included the $400.00 for paint.......if anyones interested, let me know.

Heres a pic...
Gunxddslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post

If anyone is interested it's for sale...$1000.00 + shipping with stereo, Sirius Radio, FLHX windshield, chrome windshield trim....it's ready to go if have a Gunmetal Pearl Road King, if not, it just needs paint....

I've got about $2300.00 into it, but that included the $400.00 for paint.......if anyones interested, let me know.

Heres a pic...
nice bike, very clean
Old 07-16-2008, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

tattoofever wants to know Dino or Syn?
i think kuryakyn makes a small set up that mounts to handle bars it just plays ipods mp3' etc no radio but has built in amp and is all chrome looks nice only 400 bucks
tattoofever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
'04 FLHRPI

stanley4512 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I like the speakers in the saddle bag idea, but I would mount the speakers in each bag facing forward, and have wires running under the seat and dash to an IPOD or Satellite radio mounted on the bars.
stanley4512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 02:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley4512 View Post
I like the speakers in the saddle bag idea, but I would mount the speakers in each bag facing forward, and have wires running under the seat and dash to an IPOD or Satellite radio mounted on the bars.
i was wondering why you would choose to mount the speakers facing forward? (not a thrash, really want to know)... if you think it sounds better, in my experience, it does not... also, putting the holes on the front of the bag, doesn't appeal to me... i can prob video the two 6x9s i have if you want me to, to kinda show how they sound, facing toward the tire... if ya want??

my friend has some facing forward and he seems to think the wind pressure against the speaker while riding effects it (negatively) and he wants to fix it and face them towards the tire... i dont know if this is true, as i havent payed attention to his bike, but i know that his doesnt sound as good as the two i have in my one bag...
Old 07-18-2008, 02:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
'04 FLHRPI

I figured that by facing forward, you could hear the music better than the speakers facing the tire. I would drill the hole, mount the speakers inside obviously, and mount the screen on the outside. I don't think that the wind would affect the speakers much, if at all, as marine speakers are designed for wind and rain. Also (and I'm not critizing the design shown above), but the speaker box in the left bag takes up the entire bag. Can you do a video of how yours sounds? I would appreciate it. What size speakers does your friend use facing forward? I'm not 100% on the forward facing idea, but I do know that I don't want anything on the bars. I like my RK handlebars clean. If I wanted a bunch of stuff on the bars, I'd buy the E-glide, or a detachable faring.

Last edited by stanley4512; 07-18-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:55 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

emirharley wants to know Dino or Syn?
Lower fairings with glove boxes and Hog Tunes speakers and amplifier is one of the best possible ideas. You can attach radio or iPod.

I do not have this complete since I like the sound of the wind and my mufflers, but I have been thinking about an idea to get Hog Tunes product(s).

I am fully aware this is an expensive option, but the result is marvelous.

emirharley
"Sarajevo Bikers Club" MC
www.sarajevobikersclub.ba
-----------------------------------------------------
Harley-Davidson Road King Classic FLHRCI EFI
Screamin' Eagle Stage One Kit
RevTech DFO Stealth Performance System
Screamin' Eagle Performance Mufflers
Wild Pig Pipes (2" baffles)
Kuryakyn Spider Light
Kuryakyn ISO Pegs
Lower Fairings
Ape Hanger
Back Rests
et cetera

Last edited by emirharley; 07-18-2008 at 03:03 AM.
emirharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:06 AM   #14 (permalink)
'04 FLHRPI

I'm getting the detachable lowers and adding the speakers, but I'll only use them in the spring and fall cause here its 5 degrees C (or 40 F) when I leave for work at 5:30 am in the fall. In the summer though, I want the air flowing, and wouldn't use the lowers.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
Custom Builder

Clint50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger View Post
What are you replacing it with? Is it still for sale?
Clint50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement