Batwing removal, radio install in EG STandard : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Keep the rubber side down

nixdad wants to know Dino or Syn?
Batwing removal, radio install in EG STandard

I'm contemplating getting a radio and speakers from Biketronics. Do I need to remove the batwing to R&R the radio and speakers? If so, is the batwing removal difficult? How hard is the install?
Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner
nixdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2007, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
Very simple. Just remove 7 1/4x20 bolts, 3 on the front where the windshield mounts and 4 on the backside (inner fairing). Then unplug the headlight.

A HD service manual would be the best $$$ you could spend.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

Harleypingman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Apologies for this wordy/verbose(?) post, but it's late.

The outer is easy to remove as described above; also a good idea to cover the fender prevent damage if the outer fairing slips (which is a pretty rare occurence) and the tank, with some heavy socks pulled over the passing lamps since it is tight going getting the fairing past the lamps. Bottom line, it's a very easy procedure.

As for the Biketronics install, an excellent value is the package that includes the interface unit (to allow handlear controls), mounting kit to install the headunit, speaker adapters to allow mounting the speakers to the inner fairing, HogTunes speakers, and fairing mounted antenna, and Sony GT 510 headunit.

The installation of the headunit is a little tedious because you are installing screws to secure the headunit through the vertical fairing brackets to the headunit and finger space is tight.

The interface unit incudes seven wires that must be spliced: one wire goes to battery power, one wire to accessory power, one wire goes to ground, and two wires go to each speaker. The power wires can be spliced to corresponding heavy gauge wiring inside the fairing near the steering neck; the ground wire should use a spade connector and connect to the ground wire bolt near the steering neck.

All of the splices are easily done; just tedious to work without a lot of space and with a lot of other wires nearby.

With the splices done, you plug the Base Audio Connector (a 23 place AMP connector)from your bike's wiring harness into the corresponding socket on the interface unit, and plug the Sony compatible plug into the rear of the headunit.

You install the speaker adapters with the speakers to the inner fairing with three screws for each speaker that are already there and connect the speakers with the speaker wires previously mentioned.

Then mount the antenna inside the fairing and plug the end of the antenna cable into the rear of the headunit.

No special tools are required, though a test light is useful to identify the battery and accessory power wires that you splice into.

I have had the Biketronics unit on my bike for about a year and 20K miles with the Sony GT 510 and it works great.

CMA, Crossties Chapter (GA)
IBA 26580
2004 FLHTPX
Harleypingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

01FLHT4ME wants to know Dino or Syn?
I also user the Biketronics Kit, but I purchased my Sony stereo off the Internet, speakers and antenna I got from Wal-Mart.

I have mine in now for a couple of years, No problems.

On another note...Finely put on my coffee mug holder, now my trip to work is even more enjoyable...

2014 FLHXS
01FLHT4ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

03GLIDE_ wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have changed out two stereos so far. I had no problems doing them. The fairing is easy I have had mine off 25-30 times and can do it in 5 minutes or less now. The stereo is a little harder but very doable.
Old 11-05-2007, 01:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Keep the rubber side down

nixdad wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for the responses. I currently have a radio in it, but am considering upgrading it and the speakers. Since there is a radio that already exists, I assume I won't need any adapter kits or wiring?
Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner
nixdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement