Changing Fork Oil FLHTC : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 05:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

rustyrun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Changing Fork Oil FLHTC

I have read many topics on this procedure in this forum and am confused. Can a person effectively change the fork oil in a 2002 FLHTC without using a vacumn system on the left fork? Remove the front fairing, ignition lock, and cap. Drain the forks via the drain screw. Pump the forks a few times while holding the front brake, refill in measured amounts from the top for both forks. Thanks for any guidance.
rustyrun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2007, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

ChopperDude wants to know Dino or Syn?
The left side has a cartridge, not a spring. The cartridge itself "holds" about 5 of the ounces. Service Manual says break it down all the way, otherwise you won't get all the old oil out of the cartridge as it must be pumped MANY times to get it out.

I've bought an 05 Road King left leg to replace mine.... haven't installed it yet, not sure how ride will be affected. That way, it WILL be just a drain and fill. If ride is affected, I'll install Progressive internals.

If you ride alot, I'd advise tearing it down and putting in either the 06 guts, or getting Progressive internals, that'll make servicing much easier.

ChopperDude
ChopperDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Mtclassic wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperDude
The left side has a cartridge, not a spring. The cartridge itself "holds" about 5 of the ounces. Service Manual says break it down all the way, otherwise you won't get all the old oil out of the cartridge as it must be pumped MANY times to get it out.

I've bought an 05 Road King left leg to replace mine.... haven't installed it yet, not sure how ride will be affected. That way, it WILL be just a drain and fill. If ride is affected, I'll install Progressive internals.

If you ride alot, I'd advise tearing it down and putting in either the 06 guts, or getting Progressive internals, that'll make servicing much easier.
I bought a new set of 06 forks from Zanotti's for my 04 fhtc. $377 shipped. they come ready to bolt on. I like the way the 06 front ends felt and it was almost the same price my dealer wanted to service the 04 forks.
Mtclassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2008, 08:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

stansuski wants to know Dino or Syn?
MTclassic, I too just ordered new forks from Zanottis.Can you tell me if the forks come shipped with oil or do I need to add oil at assembly?
Thanks,Stan
stansuski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

rustyrun wants to know Dino or Syn?
Easy check. Stand upright and pull the bottom drain screw slowly. Oil drips out I would say yes however I would think they are shipped dry.
rustyrun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansuski View Post
MTclassic, I too just ordered new forks from Zanottis.Can you tell me if the forks come shipped with oil or do I need to add oil at assembly?
Thanks,Stan
They come shipped with fork oil all ready installed and ready to bolt on. Literally all you have to do is take them from thier package and bolt on. They come very will packaged as well.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtclassic View Post
They come shipped with fork oil all ready installed and ready to bolt on. Literally all you have to do is take them from thier package and bolt on. They come very will packaged as well.
Thanks Mtclassic,I thought they would come ready to go but I wanted to be sure.I called the Motor Company today and they confirmed it as well.I hope this will finally give me a bike that rides like a Dresser Should.This along with the Progressive 440's installed last fall I hope will cure Harleys' failed attempt of the cartridge fork fiasco.I installed them tonight and it was very straight forward no surprises,no test ride yet,now what happened to Spring??
Stan
Old 03-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

I have an 04 flhtc and I did the new forks and 440's (13Inch) and for me it was like a new bike. I had 50,000 miles on the stock forks so I know it was ready for an oil change but it was a night and day difference not only in handling the curves but in how smooth it soaks up the little bumps.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

I finally took it for a short ride (20mi.)tonight.WHAT A DIFFERENCE,this is what I thought I was buying in 2005.The front forks actually move when I hit a bump WOWThis bike now rides as good as my 87 Dresser,maybe better.How could Harley go backwards and pretend there was nothing wrong.
Stan
Old 03-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Thumbs up

Just as an afterthought,anyone who stumbles onto this thread while attempting to change their fork oil,it is one of the best modifications that I have done to this bike.I think MTclassic would agree.The part #'s for the forks are 46502-06 & 46495-06 ,cost from Zanotti's was $375.00 shipped.They come ready to bolt on, no other parts are needed.It is no more work than removing your cartridge fork to bring to the dealer for a fluid change and the difference is HUGE and immediate.This will make your 02-05 dresser ride like it was supposed to.Also the progressive 440 shocks work great.
Stan
Old 03-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Stan, my sediments exactly. Ride and handling were night and day and it is nice not having to mess with the cartridge when doing fork oil change. I was also able to recoop some of my money as I sold the old fork legs for $100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.