V-Twin Forum banner

Road Glide fairing on Road King

30K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Jeffytune 
#1 ·
OK I have seen all of the EG fairings for the RK, has anyone put a RG fairing on a RK. Seems like it would work.

Todd

#2 ·
The batwing fairing simply attaches in the same location as the windshield leaving the headlight and spots where they are. In order to put the RG fairing on a RK would require the removal of lights. It is probably possible but it would be a royal PITA.

#3 ·
I converted my EG to a RG a year ago last winter. I love it as a Road Glide. It should work with a RK too, but it takes some work, and you need to do your research.

I did a photo story of the conversion here, it's WAY back in this section somewhere. I'll try to post a link to it. The search isn't working right now, so I can't find it. It might help as a starting point.

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."

#4 ·
doch4m said:
I converted my EG to a RG a year ago last winter. I love it as a Road Glide. It should work with a RK too, but it takes some work, and you need to do your research.

I did a photo story of the conversion here, it's WAY back in this section somewhere. I'll try to post a link to it. The search isn't working right now, so I can't find it. It might help as a starting point.

Ride on, ride well.

Doug

"I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Doch4m: I just did a search and found your write up. What a wonderful job you did and probably the best write up on a conversion I've ever seen (Harleys and Jeeps). Here is what I hope is the correct link to your write up:

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71276

Man, this should be a "sticky" for permanent future reference. :thumbsup: :clap: :thumbsup:

I'm gonna PM you for the parts list.

Ride Safe!!!

#7 · (Edited)
You know this is a four year old thread. Doesn't matter, it can be revived, but why did the OP post a link for a VRod parts conversion? Anyway, I've wondered about the conversion as well and in fact want to buy a RG in a couple years. Sure would like to see pictures and info if you decide to go through with it. I also opened the link by doch4m and read all of it. He did the conversion previously. Very good write up, he did an outstanding job.

#8 ·
the main wiring harness is different among many things...gas tank, a lot of parts to change, many folks have done it. Unless you are really really patient and resourceful, not to mention a decent wrench, just go buy one. I mean i'm a cheap sob and can sniff out deals pretty well and i'm not scared to tackle most stuff, but hell, i think i'd go buy a Dragonfly fairing and call it good.
Tim

PS yeh i love all these old as fukk threads getting dredged up too. I also wonder WTF did cyclevisions V-rod file have to do with anything?

#11 ·
It still baffles me why anyone would want to ruin a beautiful motorcycle with a RG fairing. OK, I know some people like them I just happen to be one that bought one and hated it. Would never again consider anything other than my batwing. But, if you want to waste you money it is your business. And even with a funky looking motorcycle in the end I will still love you. Good Luck with your project.

#12 ·
Converting an EG to a RG isn't apples-to-appes.. the main wiring harness is designed to extend up into the fairing, so all the extra connectors (radio, speedo, tach, gas, oil pressure, air temp, etc) are all up there.

On an RK? Not the case. If you kept the stock harness, you wouldn't be able to have a radio or any of the gauges working. You could get a touring harness, but the job just got a LOT bigger. Fun project if you're very capable though.

In all seriousness, unless you're a confident wrench... I'd trade it. Or, sell yours then buy used... would save the dealership screwing you.

#13 ·
RK to RG

Todd: I have done this before. There is alot to it. The #1 snake oil out there on this topic is the main harness. Yes it is different, but all the data for all the guages is there, you just have to get it out to where it needs to go. To do a good conversion is to say the least, ballsy, but if you take your time and do it right, its well worth not buying a new Road Glide. It started life as a Road King, I put a batwing on it and a tour pak, then went Road Glide with it. Here are some pics.

Attachments

#15 ·
RK to RG

You just have to study the wiring diagrams in the service manual.

Attachments

#16 ·
RK to RG

Luckily I have a friend with a Road Glide that let me borrow it to help with figuring it all out.

Attachments

#17 ·
RK to RG

Youll have to get creative sometime, like the RK speedo, I destroyed it, but it worked out nicely. A bar and shield would work for anything not an Aniv. Edition.

Attachments

#18 ·
RK to RG

Wiring is the key, everything else is nuts and bolts, Solder and heat shrink everything.

Attachments

#19 ·
RK to RG

You can do what others have and just put blanks in all the holes, but is that what you really want?

Attachments

#20 ·
RK to RG

Of course once your buddies find out your doing this they swarm right in like its a team event or something.

This is not an easy project and should be given serious thought and ample research before jumping into it.

I wanted a Road Glide, I had a Paid for Road King,
Jump into the bottom of a $22,000 hole and start digging out all over again?, or dump $1400 on some parts and make a project out of it. My Bike is still paid for...and its what I wanted.

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Nice work there 29er, oh and welcome to the asylum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.