compare Road King to Softail : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2007, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

smurfsdad wants to know Dino or Syn?
compare Road King to Softail

I had a Heritage Softail Classic for a while. Beautiful bike. Just wasn't quite happy with it for my wife and I to do some short trips. Seemed a little small. I'm looking at the Road King Classic. Can anyone compare the two for me from a rider and/or passenger viewpoint? Will appreciate any input.
smurfsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

Ride wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is no comparison. The FL frame is the best HD makes IMO. Go demo or rent one for a day and decide. I'll never ride another softail...just my .0200 but I'm way biased to my King.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Green Meany wants to know Dino or Syn?
Man you cant compare the two. The RK is superior in possible all aspects. Then I may be slightly prejuidice . I hae riden a Softy a few times, I can honestly say the RK is hands down the better bike regardless of how and where you ride. I fully converted to just riding the RK when I bought the new one last year. Haven't regretted it one bit, even in a down pour sitting under the overpass. Go try one out.
Green Meany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 08:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ride a few of the touring bikes. Thr RK is great, but a radio is nice. It is hard to get better value than the EG Clasic. the Road Glige is not pretty, but rides great.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

winpitt wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is no "better". They are both great - and different - bikes. I've got a Heritage that's pretty retro that I love riding. I bought my pap a Road King Classic. It's his first Harley since he bought a '58 Duoglide - new in '58. Looking forward to getting the old man out on the road with me for a few more years. The RK is smooth and comfortable and I'm only worried it'll be a little heavy for him to push around in the garage. But I love riding my Heritage.

The RK is silky smooth - just about too smooth for me. I feel too insulated from the road. But is sure is comfortable.

The Heritage is for me the essence of riding. I sit on the RK. I wear the Heritage.

For 2 up touring, the RK is better suited for distances.

My advice? Keep the Heritage and pick up a RK! Seriously though, I love both bikes.
winpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

DELUXERIDE1969 wants to know Dino or Syn?
RK vs. HSC

Had a 1993 HSC, 1996 FLSTN and what I'm currently riding is a RKC. RKC is definitely smoother but I miss the attitude of the Softail. In all honesty, someday I will have both.
DELUXERIDE1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
FNG :)

Steelhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm watching this thread with interest as I too am trying to decide between the two. I like the retro look of the ST but the RK has a few perks that I find appealing such as cruise, the hard bags, passenger floorboards, etc. I'm going to ride both this weeked, weather permitting.
Steelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

BigMike wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went from a Heritage Softail to a RK Classic. I don't think I could ever go back to a Softail. Seems too little. You can't go wrong with a RK.
Paint By Attitude Custom Painting
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

Keith E. wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another RK vote here from one who does 85% highway riding but keep in mind that I bought an EG.

Keith
Keith E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
RKR
Lifetime Premium

RKR wants to know Dino or Syn?
I use to have a softail custom. I loved it but once I bought my roadking I would never go back.The roadking is by far a superior bike.
RKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

OldMsocko wants to know where he is and how he got here
I owned a Heritage Classic but wanted more of the creature conforts as my OL and I do alot of touring so I bought an Ultra. My Ol to this day claims the Heritage rode better in her opinion. It all depends on what type of riding you want to do. For week-end trips the Heritage would be fine. I also think the Heritage is the nicest looking bike HD manufactures.
OldMsocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

george248 wants to know Dino or Syn?
lemme give this a go...

RK nice ride... Softail shitty ride...

what do I know... I ride a Dyna...
george248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
OLDBOY

Greglal wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a Heritage and would trade for the superior ride of the HD touring in a second if it wasn't for the emotional attachment. The next one will surely be an RK, SG, or EG... maybe even a RG.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:04 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

OldMsocko wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by george248
lemme give this a go...

RK nice ride... Softail shitty ride...

what do I know... I ride a Dyna...
Let me ask this, have you ever ridden one for a long distance to be able to form an opinion?? It is just like everything else, personal preference enters the equation.What feels good on my ass may not feel good on yours. A person needs to ride the bike themselves and form their own opinion.There are folks that think a Sportster rides just fine. Who am I to say it don't even though I owned one.
OldMsocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
This space for rent

WideGlideX70 wants to know Dino or Syn?
go and rent a Road King and find out for yourself... people's opinions vary greatly on the different models. I'd probably try out the various models within the Touring family before settling on a Road King, though.

And to the poster who said Road Glides weren't pretty?

2011 FLTRUSE CVO Road Glide Ultra (Rio Red/Black Ember/Quartzite) - all I ever wanted in a motorcycle

Gone, but not forgotten:
07 FLTR Road Glide (Mirage Orange Pearl)
01 FLTRSEI2 Screamin' Eagle Road Glide (Sinister Blue/Diamond Ice/States Blue Pearl) 1 of 849
WideGlideX70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement