compare Road King to Softail - Page 2 : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Touring
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2007, 01:01 PM   #16 (permalink)
IronButt

thrasher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMsocko
Let me ask this, have you ever ridden one for a long distance to be able to form an opinion?? It is just like everything else, personal preference enters the equation.What feels good on my ass may not feel good on yours. A person needs to ride the bike themselves and form their own opinion.There are folks that think a Sportster rides just fine. Who am I to say it don't even though I owned one.
I rode approximately 7800 miles on my 2004 Road King on a trip last summer on a trip from Houston to Jasper, Alberta Canada and back. That included some successive 750-780 mile days. I have a two up Mustang wide touring saddle with drivers backrest and HD pullback handlebars. Its a damned comfortable bike and handles very well on the open highway as well as in the city. I'm 5'10" and 180 lbs.
thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 02:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
IronButt

Vilhelm wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been doing some moderate touring on a 03 FXSTBI for a few years, added saddlebags/T-bag, highway bars an pegs, Corbin Gunfighter an lady saddle, more comfortable bars (Streetslammers), even floorboards for my wife. It is fun to ride ,but will still leave ya sore on the longer runs, and thats after a significant investment of cash just to get it Tour ready. Now I have an 07 FLHTCU (kept the NightTrain) NO COMPARISON on long rides, if you think you will be doin some good distances the Road King is probably the bike for you,and will be more comfy for your passenger. To each their own though, good luck on your decision, ya cant really go wrong, as both bikes are Harleys!
Vilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
IronButt

OldMsocko wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrasher
I rode approximately 7800 miles on my 2004 Road King on a trip last summer on a trip from Houston to Jasper, Alberta Canada and back. That included some successive 750-780 mile days. I have a two up Mustang wide touring saddle with drivers backrest and HD pullback handlebars. Its a damned comfortable bike and handles very well on the open highway as well as in the city. I'm 5'10" and 180 lbs.
Thrasher:My post was to George248 who said that a Softtail rides shitty. There is no dispute that a Road King rides fine. My post was not putting down a Road King.
OldMsocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 05:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
Keep the rubber side down

nixdad wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an 05 Heritage. I love the bike. Would I trade it for a RK? I don't think so. I would though, buy a RK for another bike. In fact, that's my goal. I love the look of the Heritage. The ride around town is great. On long road trips, I think I would prefer more of the creature comforts. I want the best of both worlds.

OK, so I wanna be spoiled. Nothing wrong with that. Especially if this is my only vice.
Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner
nixdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 06:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
IronButt

george248 wants to know Dino or Syn?
the original poster asked for OPINIONS about the comfort differences (with a passenger) specifically between the Roadking and a Softail.

IMO the Softail would ride shitty with a passenger when compared to any of the Touring bikes. This is still my opinion and I am sure that other folks have differeing opinions. That does not make me right or them. It is all about what you like.

I knew my comments would ruffle someone's feathers... that was the reason for the "laughing smiley".

Like I said earlier... what do I know, I ride a Dyna.
george248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Passin' through

Flashkev wants to know Dino or Syn?
The OL and I love our RC Classic, but one of the first things to go was the stock seat. We spent some time breaking in a touring corbin, but well worth it. MOCO doesnt put much expense in their OEM pillows.

We rented a heritage for a day last year, and it was fine. Only thing was it seemed to "sag" more with two up. When I rented an 06 Fat boy this year, it "felt" faster than my RK...

Try 'em out.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:01 PM   #22 (permalink)
What the %$#%!%# ?

rperkins wants to know Dino or Syn?
I sold my softail standard for a street glide... Both are great bikes... I ride to work 52 miles one way, no way I would do that on the tail... But miss it for the local runs and just having fun.. BUT if I had to choose, I would take the street glide because of the features, ride, and overall differences.

Take the bagger for a ride, it will be a different feel, but glad I made the jump.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:11 PM   #23 (permalink)
Premium Member

Dogbreath wants to know Dino or Syn?
They handle and ride completely differntly. I love the looks of the softail, but like to go on longer 75 MPH + rides. My EG handles this much better. The fairing helps keep the hands warmer, especially in the rain. Plus I have room to store my stuff and the OL's for weather changes. For me it's the EG.
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:00 AM   #24 (permalink)
2002 FLSTCI

trhoton wants to know Dino or Syn?
RK or Heritage

The bottom line from this thread is that you should ride them both and make up your mind based on what you like the best. In general, if you're doing long riding, the touring frame setup is best. It's rock solid, and stays naturally centered (if you jack a touring frame bike off the ground, the bars and front tire fall to the center, unlike a Softail which will fall to one side).

Now that that's out of the way, my preference is for the Softail. I've ridden both over distances, and prefer the more spartan look and feel of the Heritage. I like the bike to be the anti-car experience, and the FLSTC, for me, is perfect. The touring bikes sit you in a more upright position, and I prefer to lay back and put my feet in the stirrups (so to speak).

For those who say you can't comfortably tour on a softail, I'm throwing in the BS flag. I've taken some fairly long tours (a few 700-800 mile days in a row) on the Heritage, and always felt great.

I ride an 02 FLSTCI with the profile low suspension on the rear. To me, that's as good as it gets. The Softail allows a lower and more laid back riding position.

Both are beautiful, and can look as retro as you like. There's just not a bad choice here.
trhoton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 05:25 AM   #25 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by george248
the original poster asked for OPINIONS about the comfort differences (with a passenger) specifically between the Roadking and a Softail.

IMO the Softail would ride shitty with a passenger when compared to any of the Touring bikes. This is still my opinion and I am sure that other folks have differeing opinions. That does not make me right or them. It is all about what you like.

I knew my comments would ruffle someone's feathers... that was the reason for the "laughing smiley".

Like I said earlier... what do I know, I ride a Dyna.
I am just like you, I kind of like to ruffle feathers at times. If you would take notice I ride an Ultra not a Dyna or Softtail. I voiced my OL opinion about the ride being better. You never did answere my question on whether you ever rode a Softtail for any distance to be able to form the opinion that they ride shitty??
Old 03-23-2007, 08:26 AM   #26 (permalink)

Green Meany wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Reason

This is the very reason there are so many different bikes out. Everybodys experience is different. Fortunatly I had some good friends that passed on good tips and let me ride before I decided. I owned a 06 Honda 750 Shadow prior to the RK so I could get back into the grouve so to speak and decide if I wanted to ride full time. The decision was made and the rest is history, I ride EVERYDAY back and forth to work and everywhere else, rain, shine, hot or cold. during the last 24 months I have driven to work only 4 times. So regardless what you decide to buy RIDE, dont let it just set pretty.

Green Meany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:16 PM   #27 (permalink)
Premium Member

ironox wants to know Dino or Syn?
Two front discs

Two front discs on the FLH platform sold the deal for me. Two up riding requires all the stopping power you can get!
ironox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:43 PM   #28 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMsocko
I am just like you, I kind of like to ruffle feathers at times. If you would take notice I ride an Ultra not a Dyna or Softtail. I voiced my OL opinion about the ride being better. You never did answere my question on whether you ever rode a Softtail for any distance to be able to form the opinion that they ride shitty??

It is fun ruffling feathers sometimes... have ridden a Fatboy as well as Softail Standard... not for any considerable distance, really did not care to, as they were not my cup of tea.

I rented a Roadglide a couple years ago... the wife and I put about 400 miles on it. Really like the touring bikes and plan to get one someday, when the kids are out of the house and me and the wife have time to make more trips. For now the Dyna does the job pretty good and it did not break the bank.

I have a couple friends with Softails and they are pefectly happy with them, just not for me.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:46 PM   #29 (permalink)
IronButt

Softails are purty to look at...
Old 03-23-2007, 05:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by george248
Softails are purty to look at...
They sure are pretty to look at. It has been fun ruffling feathers. Keep the rubber to the ground
Sponsored Links
Advertisement