A girls bike? NOT : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Sportster
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2002, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Misguided wants to know Dino or Syn?
A girls bike? NOT

Something I'll never understand is why some Harley riders discriminate against other riders especially in light of the way society has stereotyped the Harley community and discriminated against it over the years.

You've heard the disparaging comments like "Half a Harley" or "Girl's Bike" along with many others levied against the Sportster bysome in the Big Twin crowd. If so. How come it's faster than the BigTwin is? How come it's been the Factory racer in differing events for forty years now? What about the Buell, Harley's answer to Japanese super bikes, being based on the Sportster It has always had superior technology and Been more nimble than its brother, the Big Twin.

Back in the Sixties, The Sporty led the charge when an Englishike-dominated sport converted first to the "Milwaukee Limey." Speaking of the old days, when watching early biker movies, you see the "real deal" riding their beloved "CH's" that today have become living legends? Nobody I know laughs at or puts down these guys. Yes, the "CH" is short for the brutal, knee-busting, kick start Sportster. Don't look like no half-Harley to me even though that's what some call it. Please take this last statement from where it's coming from…not me. But it's a comment I hear time and again from those in Harleydom who wish to pick on their own instead of fighting those who attack from the outside. Yeah, so they call it a Girl's bike in a derisive manner. This connotes frailty that inhibits them from handling "a man's bike."

Well if you think about it, a smaller, physically weaker person would be better suited to a Softail with a lower seat height, a lower center of gravity and a set of front forks that pivot more easily on a smaller contact patch, skinny 21" wheel. That's if you think. Sportsters feel as if they have a higher center of gravity, making them seemingly more awkward to the uninitiated and you need long legs to touch the ground They'll pop a wheelie without even thinking about it. And light to light, try to beat one, with a "bigger" Harley, like a Softail for instance. A customer of mine is a seemingly mild mannered pharmacist. He wins about $500 bucks a month racing Big Twins on his 883 converted to a 1200. He hasn't even reached for the big gun yet….the 1200S with a hundred ponies at the rear wheel. I guess everybody's mad at me by now, but it needs to be said.

So why on earth does Harley make this bike, its entry-level model? It's harder to learn on and it's the prototype for its factory racers-in order to prove it has a superior product in terms of speed. I don't understand it. As what should be isn't, and what isn't should be. I know, I know.

The real reason the Sportster is the entry-level bike is that it's cheaper than the Big Twin models. Just wait until feminism gets a firmer grip in the last bastion of chauvinism, Harleydom and deals with "the Girl's Bike syndrome" and its connotations of weakness. It'll be fun to watch for those who love a good winnable fight. Now how about the men who ride and must put up with this reverse discrimination? Maybe feminism will wipe the slate clean. Or maybe, those who are free thinkers and strong of mind already know that the Girl's Bike has dominated Flat Track racing…you know, where you go full speed around corners with no brakes….and hill climbing…a brutal sport for the brave where Sportsters go up hills not suited for motorcycles.

Now, how about the wheelie kings. You know, in a man's world, anyone who can do the block long wheelie, shifting gears as they pose dangerously on one wheel, scraping the rear fender on the asphalt, shooting up sparks as they roar by, are more Often than not on the Sportster. Motor builders have long recognized the superior technology used by Harley in the Sportster, some examples of which are:
a. Pushrods that go straight up and down instead of wild angles like in the Big Twin; or
b. Did you ever wonder where the three-hole crankpin you buy aftermarket to replace the single oiling hole factory one in your Big Twin came from? You got it, standard factory issue since the beginning in the Sportster; or
c. The trochoid (rotor) oil pump, standard issue since 1977 on the Sportster, produces both high pressure and high volume while the lowly Big Twin still has a gear-driven pump that only produces moderate pressure and volume. Straighter pushrods along with the 3 hole oiling crankpin and the trochoid oil pump have all been adapted into the new Fathead Twin Cam 88's.

Here's another one. What other Harley, or motorcycle for that matter, has crippled more people than the legendary Sportster kickstart? If rebounding compression isn't dislocating the knee or throwing the rider over the handlebars then the slip-through kick start gears extend the leg past where its supposed to go….snapping the kneecap. "Sportster knee", the tell tale limp, familiar with riders of the era is a badge of honor. The electric start has saved a whole generation from this mind numbing pain. Even the mass media glorified the Sportster a long time before it recognized the "old man's" bike, the Big Twin.

Oops, I have to watch the reverse discrimination. Then Came Bronson" was the first and only TV Harley hero who traversed America, meeting every challenge society could throw at him
on his Sportster XLCH. In the late seventies and early eighties, some bank robber gangs even used the Sportster as a get away vehicle…faster than the Big Twin police bikes and more nimble through traffic.

Last but not least…..Evil Knieval. I never saw him riding a Big Twin. He is a Sportster man….all the way to the hospital and right back on them again The much maligned Sportster doesn't look like a bike for the frail or weak of mind to me.

Author Donnie Peterson

[i][b]When the Harley fired up, It sounded like a pitbull on crack (it was sportin drag pipes). Dozens of guys turned their heads as big grins flashed over their faces. Mentally I could hear them all doing the Tim Allen "oh oh OH". As the rider left he blew a yellow light at full throttle in 2nd gear. The waves of V-twin ear cand

Last edited by Misguided; 12-08-2002 at 06:22 AM.
Misguided is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2002, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

soon2own1 wants to know Dino or Syn?

thats a very interesting read. i never knew that stuff before. now if i can just remember some of those key points when someone calls my bike "half a harley".

being new to all this im trying to learn as much as possible.

thanks, Everett
Old 12-06-2002, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
2003 1200 Custom S&B

rluetgenau wants to know Dino or Syn?
Misguided, very good. I agree. I dont give a rat's ass what someone else thinks about my 1200 custom. I have never felt those bigger scoots looked very good anyways and costed a hell of a lot more than mine. Each to there own I have always said.
rluetgenau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Honkylips wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think a lot of people give the sportster some crap just cause it's smaller is all. I've got nothing against them myself, and agree that if you're looking for performance, a sportster is the way to go. Even though they have a taller seat height, they're just too small for me. They do get a bum rap a lot of times.
Honkylips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2002, 07:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

JimmyK wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oh For Fucs Sake!

"Hello, My Name is Misguided and I own a Sportster."

HI MISGUIDED!

Tell us now. How did it happen?

BLA HAHA Don'tMindMeItsFridayFreezingOutsideAndIAmDrunk

AsFuc Dot
HA!
Old 12-07-2002, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Infidel

wyodude wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by rluetgenau
.....and costed a hell of a lot more than mine.
I think this is the unspoken issue. I wonder how many folks choose sportsters because its what they can afford? Hey, not everybody can drop $20K, no shame in that.

wyo
Old 12-07-2002, 07:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

twincamzz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by wyodude

I wonder how many folks choose sportsters because its what they can afford?

wyo

For the record, I own an 01 RK complete w/ 95" kit, SE 211 cams & Hooker true dual exhaust, and I also have an 01 883, converted to 1200 w/ SBC vortec heads, SE .497" lift cams, SE ignition, Cycle Shack slip ons, & CV w/ Yost power tube installed.
If I am going on a "long distance run", the RK gets the nod every time. But , when I want to go "hunting" some big twins, I'll take the Sporty any day ! I love the bewildered look on their faces when my "girl's bike" NOT ! blows them away ! HA!
On the other hand, I used to own a 99 FXDL w/ a 95" TC ,SE heads, SE 258 cams, Mikuni HSR42 carb, & SE slip ons. She made 100 HP & 100 TQ. No comparison between the 1200 XL & that monster.

This is an ages old debate. I say, "ride what you want & don't look down on what others choose to ride."

Last edited by twincamzz; 12-08-2002 at 05:33 AM.
twincamzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 09:24 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

jdrobins wants to know Dino or Syn?
When I was looking for my Sporty, one of my co-workers who rides dirt said "why are you getting a chick bike, no real biker rides one". I replyed that I like the Sporty and I could afford to get the sporty and that he was just jealous that he could not buy a HD, I asked around and have yet had anyone else tell me that it's a chick bike. Including a longterm Biker who by the way rides a 84 sporty.

When I went to the dealer to buy my 03 2 tone XL1200C, the only words out of anyones mouth Employee or customer was "COOL"

Jim
jdrobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 12:00 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

ronf wants to know Dino or Syn?
This came from Donnie Peterson's website

Heavy Duty Cycles

and he has a lot of articles for our Sporty's. Check it out.
ronf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2002, 03:42 PM   #10 (permalink)
Infidel

Quote:
Originally posted by twincamzz

For the record, I own an 01 RK complete w/ 95" kit, SE 211 cams & Hooker true dual exhaust, and I also have an 01 883, converted to 1200 w/ SBC vortec heads, SE .497" lift cams, SE ignition, Cycle Shack slip ons, & CV w/ Yost power tube installed.

Two Harleys...Now THAT'S some peer pressure
Old 12-08-2002, 05:37 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

twincamzz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Wyo, Yea...I realize what a lucky guy I am. The Sporty was actually purchased for my bride and then after 2 years she finally decided she wasn't "into" riding her own bike as much as she thought. Earlier this year I traded my hot rod FXDL for the RK, so she let me build the Sporty up and make it my own. What a woman, huh ?
twincamzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 06:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Misguided wants to know Dino or Syn?
Got a buddy who has a softail and gives me **** all the time. Doesnt really bother mem I just consider the source

[i][b]When the Harley fired up, It sounded like a pitbull on crack (it was sportin drag pipes). Dozens of guys turned their heads as big grins flashed over their faces. Mentally I could hear them all doing the Tim Allen "oh oh OH". As the rider left he blew a yellow light at full throttle in 2nd gear. The waves of V-twin ear cand
Misguided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 01:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Infidel

Quote:
Originally posted by twincamzz
Wyo, Yea...I realize what a lucky guy I am. The Sporty was actually purchased for my bride and then after 2 years she finally decided she wasn't "into" riding her own bike as much as she thought. Earlier this year I traded my hot rod FXDL for the RK, so she let me build the Sporty up and make it my own. What a woman, huh ?
twincamzz,

Sounds like your wife is a real peach! You're a lucky man.

My wife makes occasional comments about getting a bike. We were at the dealership last week and she liked the screaming eagle deuce the best. I could live with that.

wyo
Old 12-09-2002, 04:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally posted by wyodude

I could live with that.

wyo
A man with a crystal ball.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 12:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Wicked!

Carrie wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have to tell ya. There is no way I can ride a 1200 Sportster with out it being lowered. I even had to lower a Hugger another inch. I am glad to have started my venture on a Sportster, because I know it is the hardest thing to ride. I seriously doubt when Harley first built the Sportster, they were thinking of the lady rider. There was probably 1 lady rider to million men riders, back then, if that. The only thing that links the stereotype to the Sportster would be a heavy set man riding one. I saw my dad riding a Sportster and it looks like he is riding a moped. He is about 230 lbs. Maybe that is why fat boys ride Fatboys. More power to those who ride the Sportster. Now days, I think, the rider enjoys riding the twin cams only because they are a smoother ride for the long distance. Another thing, you might as well list all the Harley models as "chick bikes", because more and more women are riding those Fatboys, Heritages, and RK's. Including me. Stop with the sterotypes and lets just call them "Harleys".
Advertisement