What do you like best about the Sportster? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Sportster
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2002, 01:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Ross wants to know Dino or Syn?
What do you like best about the Sportster?

Howdy,

What do you like best about the Sportster?

I like the fact that the Sportster is the most versatile bike in Harley's lineup. I like the fact that with a standard stage 1 (Air filter, rejet and muffler) mod, it will out pace a BT. I like the fact that a Sporty can be a cafe racer or a long haul cruiser. It also weighs a lot less than the other Hogs. I think the Sportster is one of the best looking bikes that Harley has.

The fact that you can get a real Harley for not a lot of money is a pretty good bonus. The Sportster is also priced right in the middle of the standard bike class.

Holy cow, what's not to like about the Sportster?

When it's all said and done, I think I like the style the best. There is just something about the bike. Yea, you can make it pretty flashy if you want, but it's understated in original trim. Understated, but unmistakably a Harley.

All this is just me going crazy until I get the damn bike. HELP!!!! What do I do to stop the inanity?

May the number of surfaces exceed the number of dives by at least one.
2007 883L
1976 XLH 1000 Ironhead
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2002, 11:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

crawdaddy wants to know Dino or Syn?
The look and style of a Sportster. That more than makes up for it's shortcomings. "Girl's bike" my ass. There are as many ladies on softails now as Sportsters, it seems. It's the only Harley with a realistic price tag from the factory. Probably the most reliable also, they are built like an anvil. Ditto what Ross says, many things to like, but the styling is so pure Harley...that's what I like the best.

'03 XL1200S White Pearl
"Cotton Picker"
crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2002, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
DHARMA Initiative

jockeyshift wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have always owned a big twin up until about a three weeks ago. My FXSTS's belt drive (BDL) took a crap and wanting to ride real bad, I went out and bought a clean used '99 1200 Sport. It's been a blast so far. I bought the SE air cleaner kit, 7500 RPM ignition module and installed 'em. and the UPS truck arrived this morning with my CS slip-ons and Thunderslide kit along with the parts to fix the Squishtail.

Never owning a Sportster before, I went out and bought this thing, started it up, squezzzed in the clutch, dropped it in gear, let out on the clutch, and gave it the throttle like my Softail. Man, was I in for a surprise. Damn thing nearly threw me off the back. I grabbed the brakes and stopped and told myself "hold on, this things got more nads than your other one, you need to regroup and try it again." It's definitely not a "Girl's bike".

Oh, by the way. We have a new addition to the family. My wife just bought a new 2003 Hugger.

As far as performance and agility, the Sportster has it.
As far as looks and comfort, I still like my Springer.

Jockeyshift

98 FXSTS
99 XL 1200S
03 XLH 883 Hugger
jockeyshift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2002, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

suicide_boy wants to know Dino or Syn?
not to mention that, with about 50 years under it's belt, the sportster is the longest running motorcycle model that's still in production today. now that's heritage!
Old 10-27-2002, 09:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

roycrown wants to know Dino or Syn?
Without question it is "The Look". IMO nothing can compare with the looks/styling of the Sportster. You can identify that shape, that outline from several hundred yards away. The new Bonneville is the only thing that comes close to matching the Sportster's style , but unfortunately the discontinued Kawasaki W-650 made a better looking Bonnie than Triumph's updated version.

I'm sure my age (47) has a lot to do with my opinion but as a teenager of the late 60's/early 70's you dreamed about Sportsters. Not FLH's. Not Dyna's or Softails as they did not exist yet. Maybe a little bit about the Superglide after it's '71 debut, but in reality it was an FLH which had been "Sportsterized". Even those who are not that familiar with motorcycles can identify a Sportster. Try saying that about the other models with all the Japanese clones out there. You notice that there are no "Sportsyter Clones", I don't think it would be possible, even a neophyte could easily spot the imposter.

I am looking at mine (just got it Friday) as I type this, it looks good!!!!!!!!!
roycrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2002, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
FNG :)

designeraccd wants to know Dino or Syn?
like about a Sportster....

How about just about everything, despite its many (performance, by todays' standards) shortcomings? As an Industrial Designer I "know" that the shape of the rear fender does not really "go" with the shape of the front fender, and the DKW derived gas tank goes with neither....but: the Sportster is a visual icon in a class by itself, IMO. It took quite a few years to get where it's at, but now-WOW! Combined with the fit and finish that Harley's have...the bike exudes what Peter Egan calls "garage appeal" , and it is lotsa fun to ride, too! All that combined with the most reasonable price tag in Harley's line up. A "new" Sportster will have a very hard act to follow; rather like Ducati's 916.

It will be interesting to see what the H-D design department will eventually come up with......quite a challenge! DFO
Old 10-29-2002, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Kags wants to know Dino or Syn?
Over 25 years ago I was riding in my uncle's car when a fellow on a Sporster eases on past. My uncle speeds up a little to stay along side so we can hear more & look at the bike. My uncle says "nice bike"

Its still hold true today...
Kags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.