Sportsters don't have a low fuel warning light - dealership tech on crack? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Sportster
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 12:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

TomGolden wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sportsters don't have a low fuel warning light - dealership tech on crack?

I have only had my '04 Sporty for a little over 2 months, and have read through the owners manual a couple times. I swear I remember it being stated in the manual that my bike does have a low fuel indicator light, either on the speedometer or on the "instrument panel" of other lights like Nuetral, turn signal indicators, etc..

I dropped the bike off this morning for it's 1000 mile service, and told the technician that twice now I have run out of gas and saw no low fuel warning light come on. He tells me that Sportsters do not have such a warning light.

I could be smoking crack I guess... but I was sure MOM said I have one. I'll have to check with MOM again when I get home tonight I guess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2004, 01:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Malpaso wants to know where he is and how he got here
The only low fuel warning that my '04 Roadster has is the tripmeter.
Old 06-02-2004, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
Your bike has a carburetor which means you have a petcock. That's a device where you can turn the gas OFF or ON or RESERVE. Normal operation is ON, when engine starts stuttering, coughing, turn the petcock to RESERVE and head for a gas station.

As Malpaso says, best approach is to learn the needs of the bike as to gas, set the tripmeter at every fill-up, then use it to tell you when to get gas before you have to put the petcock on RESERVE.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 03:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Lightnin wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Y
Your bike has a carburetor which means you have a petcock. That's a device where you can turn the gas OFF or ON or RESERVE. Normal operation is ON, when engine starts stuttering, coughing, turn the petcock to RESERVE and head for a gas station.

As Malpaso says, best approach is to learn the needs of the bike as to gas, set the tripmeter at every fill-up, then use it to tell you when to get gas before you have to put the petcock on RESERVE.
Ditto. No stock Sportster has had a low fuel indicator.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

jason_21218 wants to know Dino or Syn?
yep, just ride it for a while, and you'll start to 'feel' when you need it. Basically, just fill it up often, can't hurt.

Im sure, though, that SOMEONE will come out with some aftermarket doodad.

Jason
jason_21218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

alleydude wants to know Dino or Syn?
He is right, though... the manual does show the light.

Ken

Get on your BAD MOTORSCOOTER and RIDE!!!

Used Bike Forum

Harley Davidson Sprint Forum
alleydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Malpaso wants to know where he is and how he got here
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleydude
He is right, though... the manual does show the light.
Well I'll be damned. Not only is it in the picture in the manual, it is actually on the speedo dial. I'd never seen it before, and I've never seen it come on, and I've run the tank down to reserve a couple of times. Very strange.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

WallyJJ wants to know Dino or Syn?
someone in here posted one time that their dealer contacted the factory and was told that it was part of the same electronics used for the dynas which is why technically the gauge is there... it just wasn't made functional for the sportster. {shrugs} "I dunno"

JJ
WallyJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 12:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Sam
IronButt

Sam wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
someone in here posted one time that their dealer contacted the factory and was told that it was part of the same electronics used for the dynas which is why technically the gauge is there... it just wasn't made functional for the sportster. {shrugs} "I dunno"
That's what I've read about it, too (which is all I know about it, since I own an '03). It shares the guage with the Dynas, which have the low-fuel indicator "system", but the Sporty doesn't have the sensor. So you're both right, in a way. The indicator light is there, but its non-functioning.
Old 06-03-2004, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Ed Y wants to know Dino or Syn?
As Sam and others said, it's a shared part. Low-fuel lights, at present, are only functional on EFI setups. Look close at other bikes, like RK's or EG's, and you'll see indicators on the gauges for stuff that's not there, like cruise light where there is no cruise, pursuit light but not a police bike, etc.

HD is gearing up for EFI on sportsters as I don't think any will come with carbs in 06 or 07.
Ed Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 10:40 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

TomGolden wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thanks for clearing that up guys. I was sure I had seen it mentioned in the manual... I have been driving by the trip odometer ever since the first tank of fuel when it ran out on me, so I won't have that problem again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement