V-Twin Forum banner

Bigger Fuel Tank

960 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  lazybones 
#1 ·
Has anyone out there switched to a bigger tank such as a Sport Bob, etc. I'm looking at putting a bigger tank on the Wife's 883 and I'm looking for suggestions as to which type to go with. Something hopefully without requiring too many modifications.....I appreciate any help, suggestions on where to look, brand, pictures, etc. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Homarr said:
will the new '04 tank fit on older models? that would be the best; ride longer with your big twin buddies.
Unfortunately the 04 tank won't fit the older models. The frame and mounts are completely different. I'm sure with some fabrication work you could make it fit, but it's not a direct bolt on.

Check out the Custom Chrome and J&P Cycles catalogs. Just make sure you are ordering a tank that actually has a larger capacity than the stock tank. Some of the stretched tanks for the Sportsters aren't much bigger than the stock 3.3 gallons. Look for the 4 gallon stretched tanks. They also sell a mounting kit to put softail style flatside tanks on the Sportster but I think they would look to fat on our bikes. That's just my opinion though.

later,
KrustyTC

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure that HD has some direct bolt on big tanks for sportys, look at your dealer, mine has a big row of tanks for all different bikes, bigger, smaller, anything you could want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.