Oil pressure gauge on Sportster : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Sportster
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2004, 08:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

2003 Sporty wants to know Dino or Syn?
Smile Oil pressure gauge on Sportster

Has anyone added an oil pressure gauge to there Sportster? What brand? Where does it hook up and mount? Do you like it? I have a '03 1200C.

Dan
2003 Sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2004, 09:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
Young Harley Rider

Zuhaib wants to know Dino or Syn?
Why would you want an Oil pressure gauage? Oil Temp i think would be more important then oil pressure.. I think Oil Pressure is used only to tell you the level of oil you have which you can do with a simple check.
Old 03-14-2004, 12:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ironsomething

rovert wants to know Dino or Syn?
An oil pressure gauge is not used to show the oil level in your tank. It is used to show the pressure and condition of the engine lubrication system. The normal oil pressure on a Sporty is 7 -12 PSI at idle and 10 - 17 PSI at 2500 RPM (fully warm engine). If you have a weak or malfunctioning oil pump, check valve or obstruction in the system an oil pressure gauge would indicate that by lower then normal pressure at a given RPM. Unfortunatley the idiot light is nothing more then a spring pressure calibrated micro switch that comes on when you lose almost all oil pressure, which by then it MAY be too late.
I have been looking for a good quality rocker mount gauge also and there do not seem to be very many of them. Sifton makes one but uses a 0 - 60 PSI gauge which is twice the full scale sweep that would make it easy to read.
http://fusionbikeworks.com/oil_press_guages.htm
rovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

twincamzz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Made my own

I too, noticed the lack of oil pressure gauge mounts for Sportsters, unless you want to spend an arm & a leg for a Ness unit, etc. I decided to make one for myself out of stainless. I designed it much like the ones HD sells for big twins. For simplicity I used the HD gauge, but it should fit any 1 1/2 " gauge.I purchased the fittings & line at Home Depot for a few bucks. While in the process I made an extra bracket. It still needs to be polished up, but if anyone is interested I will ship it to your door for $30.00. *Gauge & fittings are not included. PM me if you want it.
twincamzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

84FXRP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 Sporty
Has anyone added an oil pressure gauge to there Sportster? What brand? Where does it hook up and mount? Do you like it? I have a '03 1200C.

Dan
I think the idiot light is enough protection for oil pressure. The old bikes (twin tanks) had a total oil loss system - no oil pump. You just hit the hand pump every now and then to let the oil dribble down through the engine and eventually hit the ground. I know engines are much higher tech today, but they still use roller bearings. As long as you have oil flow over the roller bearings, things will be ok. If you wanted to add a gage I would add one for oil temperature.

But the above comments do not answer your question. Two basic types: electrical and mechanical. Mechanical taps in an oil line with flexible tubing - this has the potential to be messy if something breaks. Electrical may be as simple as replacing your current oil pressure sensor, the one that feeds your idiot light, with a sensor appropriate for your gage. HD had got to have a variety of these units for various models.
84FXRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ironsomething

Unfortunatley the Moco does'nt offer an oil pressure kit for the Sportster, which I find odd. Other then industrious individuals like TwinCammzz who make their own there are only three aftermarket kits that I can find and they are all fairly expensive. I am looking into fabricating a handlebar mount digital oil pressure gauge and will post results when and if I get it done.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Ironsomething

Opps! I forgot to mention the brands of the kits I know of and answer part of the original question:

Outlaw Cycle
http://www.chopperscycle.com/Merchan...ry_Code=54-367

Arlen Ness
http://shop.arlenness.com/Productdet...Product_ID=385
Old 03-15-2004, 07:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
FNG :)

2003 Sporty wants to know Dino or Syn?
Oil pressuure gauge

Northern Hydraulics offers a glycerin filled 0 - 30 psi gauge. That seems to be the best range for the Sportster.
Dan
2003 Sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement