V-Twin Forum banner

Engine missing on take off

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Fxrandy 
#1 ·
Igot a 01 sportster 1200. Has 8k miles my prob is when I come to a stop and take off the bike hesatates misfires I have to pull in the clutch and rev it up and then let the clutch out does it when the engine is hot or cold thinking carb issues ran some sea foam through didnt change anything any ideas on where to look for the prob would be great

#4 ·
It runs fine but some times I give it throtle real quick and it loads up or chokes out and starting it is kinda hard aftet its warm ssome times it wil crank and crank and crank then back fire out the pipes never had a harley this is my first one so didnt know if this was kinda normal

#5 ·
. <is a period
Is the bike carb or fi? That year most likely a carb'd bike. Sounds like a gas flow problem, not electrical. Pull out the enricher a bit and ride it, see if that corrects the problem. Harley's with carburetors require a tad of throttle to start the engine, they don't start at idle very well.

#6 ·
Yes carb model. I use the enricher when its cold but should you have to use it to start the bike when its warm to.i did run it out of gas the other day maybe it got somthing stuck in the carb. Does an 01 have an eletric fuel pump and a fuel filter thats in line.

#7 ·
NO.
Make sure the accelerator pump is squirting.
Check for intake manifold air leaks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.