New (cough to me) HD : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Sportster
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 11:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

elixermixer wants to know Dino or Syn?
New (cough to me) HD

Just picked up a 08 orange and black nightster.
First HD for me, been a few years since on 2 wheels looking forward to getting back into the grove.
So I'm opening up to all you that have been there done that to these sportsters as I've only had other types of bikes / trikes.

Anyways with the holidays around the corner it looks like Santa has done some shopping without my knowledge or input and looks like a PC-v, KN or screaming eagle intake (the 90 degree elbow looking thing) and short shots (I was hoping comp series but Santa likes the look of shorts I guess ) any thoughts on those and yes I'm sure I got all the names wrong I'll get around to this HD thing sooner or later I swear
I'm very pumped for something to play around with until it warms up and get some miles an smiles back on the road.
Thanks again an let the bashing commence?
elixermixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 01:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bugkiller70 wants to know Dino or Syn?
sounds like you got a good start
bugkiller70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

rottenbob wants to know Dino or Syn?
i have a 2010 xl 1200c with a screamin eagle hi flow intake and v&h straight shots and love the look and amazing sound of the straight shots..
rottenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbob View Post
i have a 2010 xl 1200c with a screamin eagle hi flow intake and v&h straight shots and love the look and amazing sound of the straight shots..
What did you do for tuning... Is tuning required? Seems like it basically is with anything else I've ever touched once u swap intake and exhaust
Old 11-28-2012, 08:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

rottenbob wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by elixermixer View Post
What did you do for tuning... Is tuning required? Seems like it basically is with anything else I've ever touched once u swap intake and exhaust
no tuning required, my exhaust has senors on them... on the older bikes re-jetting of the carb was usually recommended.. but there are many different schools of thought on that..
rottenbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

That's awesome that it doesn't run lean with increased flow at both ends !
Old 11-29-2012, 06:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great score! Good year for that bike too. It'll rumble with that set up, youe neighbors will know when you light it up.
I'd sure as hell tune that bike after installing the parts, it will need a tune and dyna run to get it right.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC-Charlie View Post
Great score! Good year for that bike too. It'll rumble with that set up, youe neighbors will know when you light it up.
I'd sure as hell tune that bike after installing the parts, it will need a tune and dyna run to get it right.
Thanks man I'm psyched to say the least. The guy I bought it off didn't really wanna let it go but the gf seemed to "convince" him? only had 4k on the clock
Anyways I took a test ride while I was dropping my girl off for her MSf class held at a HD dealership I walked in an they were beyond nice took a sportster for a ride and well it was more fun than I was expecting and figured now that she got her license I got to pick out something just for me and not for us and I'd get to go back to 2 wheels.
I agree tuning is good hence my surprise as increased flow tends to run everything lean. Thanks for the re affirmation.
Anything I should know look out for on the FI sportsters like my 08. To mee seems like the motor had less faults than the big boy twins from the lil reading I've done.
But hopefully this winter I'll get around to those 3 mods (intake exhaust power commander) and then ride and go from there in the summer.
One thing I was looking at as I've always had a tach and yes I can listen to an learn the motor however I've never had a low rev ad cooled twin. I know there are tachs but I saw a pretty cool tach fuel gear speedo all in the one gauge from HD. Anyone see those? Looks trick and looks like how it should come factory!
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
Kinda cool?
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

Previous post finlly posted

Last edited by elixermixer; 11-30-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Previous post finally updated
Old 12-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

RKC-Charlie wants to know Dino or Syn?
Regarding the Digital Speedometer/Analog Tachometer - I have seen them, fit and finish is perfect, should satisfy your need to see the tech needle bounce around. I have owned a dozen Harleys, presently own 3, but have never had a tech. And I don't think I have missed anything.
Enjoy that Nightster Sporty, and welcome to the forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement