barn find should I or not : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Sportster
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

tjhtjh wants to know Dino or Syn?
barn find should I or not

Hi all : I was lucky enough ( I think) to find a 69 xlch sportster. Its buried in a garage , been there for 15-20 years, bike looks a little tough not to bad tho. Could not get a real good look at it. Was wondering if I should go after this project or dump it? Not sure about the mag and the pain of starting. Open for suggestions? I think the guy wants $2500. How is finding parts ?
tjhtjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

INDEPENDENT 1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
They can be expensive to work on.
INDEPENDENT 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Average Dude

YankeeBob is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjhtjh View Post
Hi all : I was lucky enough ( I think) to find a 69 xlch sportster. Its buried in a garage , been there for 15-20 years, bike looks a little tough not to bad tho. Could not get a real good look at it. Was wondering if I should go after this project or dump it? Not sure about the mag and the pain of starting. Open for suggestions? I think the guy wants $2500. How is finding parts ?
A little steep. In that condition I would offer him $1000 and expect to pay $1500...tops.

Deut. 23:12-13
YankeeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

webco2 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
With all that needs to be done , before you even think about riding it , ( tires,carb rebuilding, fluid change incluiding brake flushing, etc..) that price is too high.

webco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yep, even at $1000, by the time you get it to a finished condition you will be severely upside down in it, from a resale value stand point.
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

mad_scientist wants to know Dino or Syn?
Forget about tires and fluids change- make sure the motor isn't locked up after sitting that long
mad_scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

strokerjlk wants to know Dino or Syn?
save yourself. your knee and walk away. I wouldnt wish one on my worse enemy. got a lot of memories on one,but memories can be made with a lot less headaches.
SE 218
DR 218

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
strokerjlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 09:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Rendell wants to know Dino or Syn?
I agree, walk away..
Rendell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this? FXDRYDR is reading this now saying WTF is this?
+ 3.

That's worth maybe $250 to me and that would be insultingly low. I'd just take a pass.

Around here, you can find iron heads in running condition for $2000 - $4000. Lots of upkeep... Shift on the right... 4 speed... PIA to work on.
S&S stuff.
Baisley Pro Street heads
+ Level 2 Mojo.
Badass pipe.
Torq Monster Motorworks
spec'd & built, extra "Special Sauce."
142HP - 148TQ SAE / 145/151 STD. More there.
Jimmy crack corn and I don't care.
FXDRYDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Well I had iron heads in the past, and have a kinda soft spot for them, you all talk like its some kind of damn investment, sometimes you rebuild a bike because you friggen like it not to flip and make a bunch of cash. If you like old iron heads, work the best deal you can, and have fun wrenching my 2 cents
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

ilbkshovel wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just picked up an 80 Sporty cheap. Gonna make it a street tracker, flat tracker look. My brother had a 69, when it was tuned right it started fairly easily. Are you going to ride it cross country? I doubt it but if you like it and dont mind wrenching some, do it. I have a 79 shovel also that I ride way more than my 2000 Road Glide. My buddy summed it up perfectly, The new bikes have no soul!
ilbkshovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

93Horse wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
OK what did you do??
Old 11-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

coastie56 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
You might want to ask that question on the XL Forum. Bet you get a different bunch of answers. Look for advice from SportsterPaul and IronHead Mick. These guys build them from the crank up and I'm not joking! Google it. According to Paul you might have a very good deal on your hands. Good Luck. Been kicking myself since I sold my 69.
coastie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Nitram_b4 is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie56 View Post
You might want to ask that question on the XL Forum. Bet you get a different bunch of answers. Look for advice from SportsterPaul and IronHead Mick. These guys build them from the crank up and I'm not joking! Google it. According to Paul you might have a very good deal on your hands. Good Luck. Been kicking myself since I sold my 69.
I as well after selling my 71 ( last of the 900s)
Nitram_b4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

panman69 wants to know Dino or Syn?
A friend of mine died trying to start his Ol Sportster behind the bar one night, (heart attack).
panman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement