How big is too big for a Sportster 1200? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Sportster
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

ooomph wants to know Dino or Syn?
How big is too big for a Sportster 1200?

I'm 6' even, 200 pounds.

I've been out looking time and time again. I continue to gravitate towards the Dyna Fat Bob and Street Bob (my financial limit is in the $15k range) but I absolutely love the style of the Sporty, specifically the Forty-Eight. It's the whole "fat guy in a little coat" look, a la Chris Farley, that I'm trying to avoid.
ooomph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2011, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

foolioGrimz wants to know Dino or Syn?
a friend of mine is like 3-4 hundred pounds and rides an 883. kinda looks like hagrid from harry potter.

the other day I saw this guy wasthe size of a fridge and had a bike with a side car, but he was rockin that bike with style, screw what other ppl think, they say somethin pop em in the nose, they wont be talkin **** again

Last edited by foolioGrimz; 10-20-2011 at 10:47 PM.
foolioGrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2011, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

sportsterpaul wants to know Dino or Syn?
It ain't about the look, its riding them that really matters. Oh, and I go 230 at 5'10" and have 87,000 on a 2000 C, and 95,000 on a 2006 R.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

foolioGrimz wants to know Dino or Syn?
ya, the sporties are kinda uncomfortable for a big guy, just something about the peg angle, handlebars on that 883. They are sweet lookin bikes though. I'd have to vote on something bigger like a dyna at least. at 6 ft you'd probably still have some trouble on mine without some mods, see about trying a bike with one of those tall seats at a dealership. How about a used road king?
foolioGrimz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

plumpbiker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Seriously, if you like the 48 and feel comfortable on it, what else should matter? If you start worrying about what other folks think, you're in big trouble because everyone will have a different opinion. When people see me riding they see a short fat guy dangling from my Road King which is too high for me. Who gives a rat's ass.
plumpbiker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 06:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

RK05 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm 6'2" and when I had my 1200C it seemed to fit me good since it had the drag bars to help with my long arms. Now I would sometimes sit on the passenger pad if I was on long 200 mile rides.

If you have the money for a Dyna I would probably get that especially if you are looking new.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

nortster wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooomph View Post
I'm 6' even, 200 pounds.
How big is too big for a Sportster?
I'm only 6'1" and 240 lbs, and a Sporty is my daily ride.

The big twins (I only gots two) sit parked, except when it's a long distance ride where that weight comes in handy dealing with wind gusts.

I could bolt a couple hundred pounds of lead onto the Sporty to get the same stability, handling and performance as a big twin.

Of course enough thousands of bucks invested and you can make a big twin as fast as a Sporty.
Still have to drive 'em around corners and wrestle 'em at low speeds, but they be nice bikes nonetheless.

Sportsters are designed to be fast, maneuverable and fun to ride.
Ricers that copy the Sporty are also fast etc., but iffin you want one of them, buy it used when it's worth almost nothing, but still runs good.

Last edited by nortster; 10-21-2011 at 07:29 AM.
nortster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 07:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

To add:
I used to ride with my buddy Big John out in the land of AZ in the 80's.
We both rode 54 panheads back then.
He was (died in 2000) 6'10" and 385lbs.
He made that stock panhead look like a minibike.
But absolutely loved riding it.

IMHO, it's not so much what you ride, as how much you enjoy the ride.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

goalie1979 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm 5'10" and 185lbs. My 48 fits me perfectly, although I got the Mustang vintage solo seat. To me, having the forward controls makes a HUGE difference in comfort. My 14 yr old son is over 5'11" and 210 lbs (a gentle giant). When he sits on the bike, it looks like its perfectly suited to him too. I cannot imagine anyone not looking good on the bike -- just a matter of if they feel good about their appearance in general. On the other side, most people I see riding the bigger models appear a little small on those bikes, but they look much better for riding 2-up. It all comes down to what you are comfortable on and the purpose for having the bike.
goalie1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mrbone wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am also 6' 200 lbs. Owned a 2002 XL 1200 C. Too small for me personally. I also owned a 1975 XL1000. Back then I was still 6' tall, but only weighed in at 150 and the bike either fit well or I was too young to give a damn.
Old 10-21-2011, 07:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Best Me I Can Be

Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike Homesick is still riding a stock bike
I had an '82 XLS, with buckhorns and forward pegs. I'm 6'3'', shifted with my heel, and was as comfortable on it as could be. I made many Tulsa- Houston-Tulsa weekend runs on it.

If your comfortable on it, it's the right size. Don't fall for the anti-Sporty crap, if you're getting some of that.

joe
A**hole Merit Badge winner
Badge of Honor winner

FXRT- Hubba Hubba
Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

59panhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
Go Big ! Or Go Home !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooomph View Post
I'm 6' even, 200 pounds.

I've been out looking time and time again. I continue to gravitate towards the Dyna Fat Bob and Street Bob (my financial limit is in the $15k range) but I absolutely love the style of the Sporty, specifically the Forty-Eight. It's the whole "fat guy in a little coat" look, a la Chris Farley, that I'm trying to avoid.
I just LQQKED on Chopper Exchanged .com in the Texas area for Fat Bobs 2009-2011 most were between $10 to $15 GET AN 09 save some money 96 cu in with a 6 spd and forget the training wheel AKA Sporty FOR A GUY YOUR SIZE Buy a Bike you ride In....not On !

DYNA's are H-D Factory test bike in Milwaukee....there great in town and on trips....they handle great...and have a better resale then any sporty
59panhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2011, 10:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59panhead View Post
....... a better resale then any sporty
Any modified HD loses resale value compared to a factory stock model of the same year.
Using my 50 pan as example: If it had stock pan heads, it would be worth more than with those dual plug shovel heads it had when I bought it.

BTW, for $15K you can buy two Sportsters,
keep one stock and stretch the other to 96" to outrun ALL big twins and almost every rice rocket ever built.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

srvsgr8t wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm 6' 2" and over 200 and had a 79 sporty with forward controls and drag bars. Was a comfortable ride for me except on long rides but that was more seat related than anything. If you like it and feel comfortable who cares?
srvsgr8t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

cbucher wants to know Dino or Syn?
Get what you want and what feels good to you. I was looking at a Sportster also and the only reason I didn't get one was for comfort when my wife goes with me. I still plan on getting one down the road for my running around and work commute.
cbucher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.