Bike stalls when choke is closed?? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Sportster
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 04:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

kino44 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Bike stalls when choke is closed??

Hello
I brought a 1988 Sportster 1200 dont know anything about the bike when I go to start it I pull the choke all the way out and warm it up then try to close it and it stalls? it will run about 1/4 out
I checked the plugs and they are a dry black color I also have black smoke and flame shooting out tail pipe when I rev on the engine.Does this mean I am running a bit rich,dirty filter ect? I also have some bluing about 5 inches out from cylinder head on tailpipe.the guy I brought it from said he hasent ran it for about 2 months should I drain the fuel and put fresh fuel in it?
I may need to drive this to the shop but have a good 20 to 30 minute drive will running the engine like this harm the bike?

Thanks

Last edited by kino44; 05-18-2011 at 04:25 AM.
kino44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

kino44 wants to know Dino or Syn?
wow no takers on my question?? some forum guess Ill go elsewhere
kino44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2011, 05:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Premium Member

RK05 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Have you tried using the search function that the forum has here to see if someone else has already posted the same problem you are having??

If it runs with the choke out but stall when you push it in it could be running lean, have dirt in the carb, bad gas a number of things. I would start by draining out the old gas and put new in. Take off the air filter to see if it is dirty and so you can see the carb. Start up the bike and let it warm up really good. Once its good a hot push in the choke and listen to see if the idle drops to low you may need to raise it up. You might want to put new plugs in it anyway.

You have the manual right.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #4 (permalink)
Premium octane member

TXCHOP wants to know Dino or Syn?
Sounds like your pilot is clogged to me. Pull the bowl, clean it, replace the jet. Ride.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

Eleft36 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kino44 View Post
Hello
I brought a 1988 Sportster 1200 dont know anything about the bike when I go to start it I pull the choke all the way out and warm it up then try to close it and it stalls? it will run about 1/4 out
I checked the plugs and they are a dry black color I also have black smoke and flame shooting out tail pipe when I rev on the engine.Does this mean I am running a bit rich,dirty filter ect? I also have some bluing about 5 inches out from cylinder head on tailpipe.the guy I brought it from said he hasent ran it for about 2 months should I drain the fuel and put fresh fuel in it?
I may need to drive this to the shop but have a good 20 to 30 minute drive will running the engine like this harm the bike?

Thanks
Carb section from manual may help.
The pilot jet and or the pilot jet galley may be plugged.
Also remove the choke valve at the end of the choke/enrichment cable and clean it and the port. Caution: over tightening the nut on the knob end will cost you a new cable assembly.

Read the manual pages first.

Al
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CV Carb 03.pdf (1.07 MB, 106 views)
Stock 110" mufflers Stock Heads Andrews 26 Cams SE103" BB Kit Zippers Cam Chain Tensioners SE Compensator Mustang Wide Touring Seat Stock Bars H.D. Oil Cooler 1990's LeatherWorks inc Saddle Bags with HD Deluxe modified guards H-D Windshield Thunder Max A/T 2005 S E Tour Pack Progressive Shocks & fork Mono Tube kit
Eleft36 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.