How do I change tranny oil on 2000 xl883c? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Sportster
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 08:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)

Bill2k wants to know Dino or Syn?
How do I change tranny oil on 2000 xl883c?

I just bought a bunch of parts (plugs, wires, filter, oil) to tune up my 883 custom. One of the things I bought was a service manual, but that wont be in for about a week. I was hoping someone could give me a quick run down on how to change my tranny oil. Im hoping to do the tune up this Wedsnesday but I wont have the service manual by then. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
Bill2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

facn8me wants to know Dino or Syn?
primary and tranny use the same oil. drain plug on left side. 1 qt takes care of both. The big twins have a seperate trans sportys don't.

facn8me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 05:49 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for letting me know the primary and tranny share the same oil. The first time I searched how to do this I saw a lot about the primary and I wasn't sure if I had enough oil.

I have a few more questions. Where do I fill or check the oil, and is the drain plug under anything?

Thanks again, Bill
Old 03-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

facn8me wants to know Dino or Syn?
The drain plug is on the left side right next to the primary cover near the rear. You fill thru the clutch cover or primary chain inspectin cover. The actual level is just below the clutch basket basically the bottom of the chain is just covered.

Last edited by facn8me; 03-31-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: oops put cam chain instead of primary
facn8me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

plymouth4 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Will the Screamin Eagle 20w50 oil work in the primary and transmission?
plymouth4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 12:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
The great camel toe escap

1fast2liter wants to know Dino or Syn?
wtf.. if you need to ask were to fill your oil and if syn3 will work you have no bisness working on a bike... take it to a dealer and get the work done.. or go find a friend that knows and learn before you do real damage to your bike..............

oil fill right side. pretty much a push in plug... left side underneath will be a rubber tube with hose clam looks like it goes into frame thats your oil drain... right side underbike on primary is a plug.. you can use a allen head socket or some have a bolt style plug unscrew let it drain reinsert plug. take out to screws by the shifter this is your primary chain inspection cover. add 1 quart of what ever fluid of your choice..... syn3,amsoil 20-50,shaffer 20-50,redline....
1fast2liter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Markfatboy05 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill2k View Post
Thanks for letting me know the primary and tranny share the same oil. The first time I searched how to do this I saw a lot about the primary and I wasn't sure if I had enough oil.

I have a few more questions. Where do I fill or check the oil, and is the drain plug under anything?

Thanks again, Bill
I would suggest the Clymer manual, it is a lot more basic, and easier than the service manual, and half the price. Sounds like that might fit your needs better.
Markfatboy05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

i would suggest a factory service manual wich you said your getting but i would read what ever your gonna do 2 times then do it.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

read my post earlier... theirs a drain on the inner part of the primary towards the rear of the motor i think it looks like a bolt.. pull it it will drain a quart... refill with eaither syn 3 or what ever you choose.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses. The service manual came in on Tuesday, the same day I flew out to San Diego. I get back on Saturday so I will take care of things on Sunday.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Premium Member

nightrob wants to know Dino or Syn?
take out the fill plug and turn the bike upside down. that will drain it.

2007 FXSTB

"Of all that is written, I love only what a person has written with his own blood."
Friedrich Nietzsche
nightrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

justin.d.ehart wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast2liter
wtf.. if you need to ask were to fill your oil and if syn3 will work you have no bisness working on a bike... take it to a dealer and get the work done.. or go find a friend that knows and learn before you do real damage to your bike..............
Here I am a newbie on your forum and one of the first posts I read, you get an answer like this, let alone the misspelling in the post. This is why people that are not quite as versed in Motorcycles don't ask questions.

Bill2k - Keep posting, don't let assholes get you down.

This is my first post and maybe my last because of negativity.
Nice forum, great pictures from what I have seen. Guess I will just be a ghost member and read but not contribute.

-justin
justin.d.ehart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 04:52 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.d.ehart View Post
Here I am a newbie on your forum and one of the first posts I read, you get an answer like this, let alone the misspelling in the post. This is why people that are not quite as versed in Motorcycles don't ask questions.

Bill2k - Keep posting, don't let assholes get you down.

This is my first post and maybe my last because of negativity.
Nice forum, great pictures from what I have seen. Guess I will just be a ghost member and read but not contribute.

-justin
Don't let one bad apple affect your decision. This is a great forum.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2009, 05:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

I dont take offense to harsh replies. Its the internet, you have to expect harsh replies. Also, Im no stranger to turning a wrench, but how would anyone on this board know that.

Ive read a lot of 1fast2liter's replies and he is usually very helpful. Who knows..... maybe 1fast2liter's response convinced someone with no experience at all to get professional service and saved them from more costly repairs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.