Cross Country on my Sportster=My Butt Hurts!!! : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Sportster
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2003, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

patsue wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cross Country on my Sportster=My Butt Hurts!!!

Just did a round trip from my home in South Central Iowa to Omaha. 40 mile per hour cross wind from the south and I am heading west and then east coming back. Around 300 miles.

Forgot to put sun block on my arms.

My butt and back are completely trashed and my neck hurts from straining against being blown off the bike by the wind.

I swear I was leaning over at about 45 degrees just to go straight. It was so bad at certain points when semis would go by I just laughed and cussed.

I don't know boys, this thing is wonderful around town. But cross country, it is a killer. Maybe without the wind it would be better, but man!

I was planning a long trip with the wife on the back, but I want my marriage to last longer then the trip.

I do have the leather Harley touring seat. I bet it would have been way worse with the stock seat.

Anyway, there it is.

Time to go peel the skin hanging from my sunburned arms off.

patsue
patsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2003, 09:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

BikerBabe wants to know Dino or Syn?
sorry to hear about the trip, I haven't taken the bike too far on trips so don't know what it's like, but this summer I will find out.

1998 Sportster Hugger

"Life is not a problem to solve, but a mystery to be lived."
BikerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 09:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

jdrobins wants to know Dino or Syn?
I am like Lisa, mine so far has been locally, but this summer I plan on a trip down to the coast, may leave the wife here , I let you know how it goes then.

Jim
Old 04-15-2003, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
EvilMonger

Thealien is reading this now saying WTF is this?
I too have ridden in heavy cross winds. On my trip to Sturgis in 2001 a couple of friends and I rode for an hour at the 45 degree angle you talk about, interesting to say the least. Glad you had fun !!
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2003, 10:20 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

bikertrashdude wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have thought about doing the IRON BUTT, but after this weekend, I don't know. did 600 miles on sat and 300 on sun. I've got a mustang solo seat and the drag bars so it was a killer. ask me in a few weeks and I might tell you I will still do the IRON BUTT.
learned my lesson on what to do on a long trip.
I would never recomend a sporty on a long 2 up trip.
biker

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming,
WOW What a Ride!!!".
bikertrashdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 01:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Rscotts1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have done a few 4 to 5 hour rides around the island myself and know exactly what you mean patsue. Very gusty winds with intermitent rain. I totally feel beat up after these runs but still love every moment when I hop on my Sportster no matter how long the run.
Rscotts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 06:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

Stefan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Done the iron butt & doing it again:

The New England 1000 is a 1000 mile in 24 hour run that goes through all six New England states. The run is open from May 1 to September 30. If there is any interest I was thinking July or early August would have the best and warmest weather. It is easier to start and end in Augusta, ME where the "Rallymaster" lives; otherwise a route map, receipts and witnesses are required. This is not a highly structured ride; the rally master or any sort of guide does not ride with us.There is also a New England 2000 this is two New England 1000 runs back to back in less than 24 hours.

New England 1000 Entry Fee - Augusta, maine Start $25; Other start $35
IBA Saddle Sore 1000 Option - $20

The Iron Butt web site:
http://www.ironbutt.com/

Under 'Event Calendar' on the Iron Butt web site can be found the New England 1000 page.
http://members.aol.com/NE1000Run/
Old 04-16-2003, 07:33 AM   #8 (permalink)
Premium Member

xxxflhrci wants to know Dino or Syn?
Even though it sounds like something a grandpa would have on a Gold Wing, get you a sheepskin to sit on. Takes out a lot of the butt abuse.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 08:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Get yourself a detachable windshield.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

patsue wants to know Dino or Syn?
I do have a big Harley detachable windshield on it. I can't imagine how bad it would have been without it.

1 trip to the chiropractor yesterday after I got home and today I am so stoved up and in pain the thought of getting on that bike again is killing me.

If this is the way it is going to be, I am afraid my sporty days are numbered.

crap

patsue
patsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

ksims1868 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool Its not THAT bad!

Dang...I know long trips aren't BEST suited for a Sportster, but I never felt like it was THAT bad. Maybe I'm just too young to feel to pain yet, and it may just catch up with me later in life. I rode a 600 mile round trip (with about 100 miles of around town driving on top of that) and while I was tired at the end...I think it was from the time on the road...not necessarily the bike itself.
I also ride a Sportster Custom...but I have NO windshield, 10" apes, Forward Controls, and a 1200Custom 2-up seat. The ride was great. I was tired and a little soar, but I got on it a couple hours later after getting home that night to ride around some more. I think the taller bars make the BIGGEST difference. It really changes the riding position, and the 1200 Custom seat is pretty comfortable. Don't know what kind of bars you guys/girls are using...but I highly recommend the 10"-12" mini-apes from Kustom Krome. They made a HUGE difference, and I think they look cool also.

ksims1868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 10:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

Dragoon wants to know Dino or Syn?
Been there, done that, Phoenix to San Fransisco 1973. 120 degrees and a 40mph dust storm from Phoenix to So. Cal. 50 degrees and raining from Ventura to SF. Sandblasted, sunburned, and freezing wet. Had to be the most misrable ride of my life. What a guy will do for some poon.
Dragoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:12 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

James is reading this now saying WTF is this? James is reading this now saying WTF is this?
Quote:
Originally posted by patsue
I do have a big Harley detachable windshield on it. I can't imagine how bad it would have been without it.

1 trip to the chiropractor yesterday after I got home and today I am so stoved up and in pain the thought of getting on that bike again is killing me.

If this is the way it is going to be, I am afraid my sporty days are numbered.

crap

patsue
I feel your pain, literally. I have a bad back. I can't even ride now because my back hurts so bad. I've had this new bike for close to 2 months and only have 130 miles on it. The last couple of days have been in the 80's and I couldn't ride. I sat out on the deck all weekend listening to the bikes out riding.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 11:22 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Boba_Fett wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey

I feel your pain, literally. I have a bad back. I can't even ride now because my back hurts so bad. I've had this new bike for close to 2 months and only have 130 miles on it. The last couple of days have been in the 80's and I couldn't ride. I sat out on the deck all weekend listening to the bikes out riding.
Man that sucks, hope you heal enough to ride soon.
Boba_Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2003, 01:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

02 Sporty wants to know Dino or Syn?
I think the winds probably played the biggest part in making the ride really tiring. About the strongest winds I've rode in were about 30-35 mph and it really made the whole 120 mile round trip suck. It just wears you out faster when you get beat up by the wind. I don't have a windshield but I don't know how much that would help if you're in a cross wind.

The seat can also make a big difference in how comfortable your ride is. I don't know anything about the Harley touring seat but I could only ride about 30-40 miles at a time with the stock pillow seat on my Hugger. I bought a Corbin gunfighter seat and it has made a world of difference. I can ride much longer now without an aching behind. It also reduces the amount of vibrations that travel through the seat and into your lower back.

I don't have any suggestions about the sunburn except remember the suntan lotion next time. I wear a full face helmet and jacket so I don't have that problem.

I don't know how long you've had the bike but it took me awhile to toughen up and get used to the no frills ride of the Sportster.

I hope some of this helps.
02 Sporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement