Battery cover keeps falling off : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Sportster
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2008, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

MountainMan wants to know Dino or Syn?
Battery cover keeps falling off

I know this sounds like one of those old stories where Sportster parts kept falling off, but I'm having a problem with battery cover that keeps coming off on my wife's 883. Does anyone have good suggestions for how to fasten it so it won't come loose?

Thanks,
MM
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2008, 09:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

XL4me wants to know Dino or Syn?
check out
xlforums.net
I know that I have read a few threads (on there) about battery covers.
For those who have experienced it, no explanation is necessary; for those who haven't, no explanation is possible.
- If you can read this thank a teacher.
- If you can read this in English thank an American Soldier !
TAXES PAID !!! ......MandMCycle ROCKS !
HP+ slip-ons, Zipper's Air Cleaner w/ K&N, #45 Re-Jet, Mixture Adjustment, Custom K&N Breather setup
XL4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
I know this sounds like one of those old stories where Sportster parts kept falling off, but I'm having a problem with battery cover that keeps coming off on my wife's 883. Does anyone have good suggestions for how to fasten it so it won't come loose?

Thanks,
MM
Does it have the strap that comes across the top of the cover? I don't see how the cover can come off if the strap is in place.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:58 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

pirate50 wants to know Dino or Syn?
H-D has a new clip for the battery cover, I'm thinking they are grey in color. That's the easiest fix....or you can just use a zip tie through the holes and cut it when you need to get in.

Pirate
pirate50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

loboheritage wants to know Dino or Syn?
are you sure you are hitting the
clips correctly when shutting the
cover? the edge of the cover has
to go between the edges on each
clip. roll the edge of the seat up
and look at the clips as you put the
cover up against the clips.....they
are easy to miss.....
loboheritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Krayven Sumhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate50 View Post
H-D has a new clip for the battery cover, I'm thinking they are grey in color. That's the easiest fix....or you can just use a zip tie through the holes and cut it when you need to get in.

Pirate
Actually the grey clips are on my '05 which was built in '04. I can't remove my battery cover without using a putty knife to open the clips. 25,000 miles and never lost a side cover. Bet the zip ties look nice. If the zip ties fail, might as well use some annealed tie wire. Or a pneumatic nailer.
Since I don't have a pigtail installed for my battery tender I remove my battery side cover all the time for the alligator clips. I use the putty knife to reinstall the covers also making sure the tab of the grey clip is introduced into the hole of the side cover.

Last edited by Krayven Sumhead; 04-11-2008 at 04:35 AM.
Krayven Sumhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 07:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
jmw
FNG :)

jmw wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have a 2004 1200c, when I first got it the battery cover had come loose during rides and a few times was laying against my leg. I took a small piece of black wiring tape and wrapped it around the inside slot of the cover so it has a tighter fit in the clip and haven't had a problem since.
jmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

SteveB wants to know Dino or Syn?
We didn't have problems until rocker box began leaking. Tech replaced grey clips on '07.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

slodrag wants to know Dino or Syn?
Thumbs up

I had the same problem on my '04 1200C. I just took a small flat tip screwdriver and and slipped it in the slot on the cover where it attaches to the gray tabs and bent just a little to make it catch on the tab better. Haven't had a problem since. Good luck.
slodrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lifetime Premium

stinkboto wants to know Dino or Syn?
I had the same prob on my '05. I would just punch the crap out of it till that thing stayed in place!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

tayamaj@mac.com wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've had the same problem. The clips seem to wear out quickly as mine did. Every time I hit a bump, the damn thing would pop open and finally, it fell all the way off and got all scratched. I attached it with a twistie; that seems to be the easiest way.
tayamaj@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 07:42 PM   #12 (permalink)

jat3 wants to know Dino or Syn?
i have an 06 and had the same problem if you drill holes through the plastic clips where the holes already are in the battery cover and use small zip ties the seat covers them and no one knows you cant see them and i have not lost one since doing this
jat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

AH64DR wants to know Dino or Syn?
After purchasing my Sportster I experienced the battery cover coming loose while riding and subsequently losing my registration papers. I found the following issue that caused this.

1. The fwd clip was being forced loose just by the action of trying to seat the edge of the cover over the lip and onto the pip. The clip would pop off and fall into the frame. I fixed this by installing a self tapping sheet metal screw in between the tangs forcing them to stay tight against the slot in the frame.

2. Next I noticed that the fuel tank vent check valve was lodging between the cover and the frame preventing the cover from fully seating in the fwd latch. The cover was contacting at the spot marked by the L/H arrow.

3. I slid the valve out of it's holder and positioned it below the clip and rerouted the drain line down in the frame to give the cover more clearance as in the picture below.

4. Now install the cover and you will notice that the front tang now engages tightly into the slot and is very secure.

You can now see that the cover is no longer hitting the drain valve and fits much better that before.

I hope this is some benefit to my fellow forum members.

Enjoy!
H.O.G. #3496180
AMA # 990571

2008 XL1200L in dark blue pearl

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
AH64DR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Big Kilo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great post by AH6! Looks like we have all had this issue. I was cruising at medium to high speeds over some rough highways for a bit, and when I pulled in for gas noticed my cover just hanging around like a teenager at a liquor store. The problem is the quality of the stock clips. They do not seat very well. In fact my forward clip was nowhere to be found. After riding the rest of the route holding my cover in place by hand I dicided to go with the zip-tie optoin. The cover on my sled is black and sits on a black frame so the tie just blends right in (under the seat it can't be seen at all) and holds tighter than anything else I can think of. Just trim the extra and carry a few in your bags if you are worried about roadside repairs.

Good riding!
Big Kilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 09:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

tarheel2916 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just dropped $3.84 at the dealer for two new clips for my 04 XL 1200R...they were pretty easy to put on...
tarheel2916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement