Coating Inside Fuel Tank : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 10:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

LongRide wants to know Dino or Syn?
Coating Inside Fuel Tank

I have done numerous searches but have found nothing on this subject.
A friend of mine and I were servicing his 2003 Heritage Softail Classic for winter storage. He only had about a tank of fuel so he could put in the Fuel Stabilizer. When he looked inside the tank, he noticed that it had an Epoxy Coating to sealing it, but the sealant had blistered in several places. It looked as though the sealant was coming loose from the inside of the tank. He called the local Harley dealer and they said that they had only seen that one other time, but that it was not covered under the Extended Warranty. The dealer also said that Harley has discontinued the use of the sealant, so that kind of indicates that they might have had a problem with coating the insides of the tank.
My question is, has anyone ever dealt with or seen this problem before? If so what was the fix or resolution?

99 FLHTCUI
SE 95"
SE 211 Cams
AC
SEII slip-on mufflers
PC IIIUSB.

Finally! Retired and head'n south!

Stupidity should be painful!!
LongRide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

I guess this must be a rare problem?????????

99 FLHTCUI
SE 95"
SE 211 Cams
AC
SEII slip-on mufflers
PC IIIUSB.

Old 12-15-2006, 12:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knower of Stuff

LittleBear wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have head of it happening, have see the flakes in the bottom of tanks, but I have no real solution to the problem.
One thing we tried was to put some small steel shot, a little larger than a BB, in the tank with soapy water and shake it around to remove the bubbled up coating in the tank. This works to remove most of the current bubbles, but does not remove the coating. Just do not use too big of shot or you can dent you tank from the inside.
The coating is epoxy based, I believe, and a pain to remove with out caustic strippers that will screw up your paint if you get any on it.

Ride Hard but Ride Safe.
There are more than 43 ways to make a Doof Loop.
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2006, 03:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

shinbone1028 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I'm having a problem with mine,but I know what caused it.Had to have the tank welded to fix a leak while on a road trip.I've drained it several times since and replaced the screen.Still,every so often, the fuel will shut of once the tank reaches a certain level.Sometimes I can clear it with the fuel switch,sometimes not.At that point I have to change the fuel level to get to the gas station.I carry a pint o gas when I go outta town now.No problems unless I'm under 1/2 tank.
I'll be getting that fixed this winter.You have to boil it out chemically.My patners doing for me before a custom powdercoating job.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:47 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

route66paul wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you use the shot, you can recoat it. that is the quick fix, but it works.

Bi-polar and loving it!!
Bi-polar and hating it!!
95" w/ KB pistons (flattops)
HQ575 cams
Atwood's Road Warrior Heads
HPI bored throttle body
.030 head gasket
SuperTrapp Supermeg 2in1
"43" points cover
TRW rear mount
obligatory Baisley Spring

Take you a glass of water. Make it against the law. See how good the water tastes. When you can't have any at all.

Just sayin..........
route66paul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2006, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBear
I have head of it happening, have see the flakes in the bottom of tanks, but I have no real solution to the problem.
One thing we tried was to put some small steel shot, a little larger than a BB, in the tank with soapy water and shake it around to remove the bubbled up coating in the tank. This works to remove most of the current bubbles, but does not remove the coating. Just do not use too big of shot or you can dent you tank from the inside.
The coating is epoxy based, I believe, and a pain to remove with out caustic strippers that will screw up your paint if you get any on it.
Thanks Little Bear for your reply, I only have a couple of questions.
1. How much shot and water do you use, and 2. do you use any kind of primer or coating where the bubbles were?

99 FLHTCUI
SE 95"
SE 211 Cams
AC
SEII slip-on mufflers
PC IIIUSB.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
Ironbutt

MilesToGo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Do a search on the internet and you'll find some sealant products. Like this one http://www.caswellplating.com/aids/epoxygas.htm
Comes with instructions. I haven't done it but i'm sure it's a pain in the ass. Its either that or just leave it and hope it doesn't clog the fuel filter and leave you stranded.
2003 Heritage Softail Classic
- 95ci, stage III heads, RB LSR exhaust, S&S 510 cams, 100hp 102tq
MilesToGo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knower of Stuff

LittleBear wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRide
Thanks Little Bear for your reply, I only have a couple of questions.
1. How much shot and water do you use, and 2. do you use any kind of primer or coating where the bubbles were?
A hand full of shot and a Gallon of water. So you got some mass to move around and plenty of empty space in the tank to slosh it around. See Miles to go's post for a sealer.

Ride Hard but Ride Safe.
There are more than 43 ways to make a Doof Loop.
LittleBear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2006, 04:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

Mac4020 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Most (if not all) aftermarket tank sealers won't adhere to the stock harley sealer and recommend stripping the inside of the tank and acid etching the metal for proper adhesion. The problem is, you'll never strip the inside without destroying the paint on the outside. I believe POR-15 has a paint coating that can be brushed on to seal the paint and protect it from the stripper, but I'd be hesitant to take that risk. I would try the techniques above to remove the loose sealer and then leave it alone. A little surface rust on the inside of the tank won't cause as many problems as resealing the tank without prepping it properly.
Mac4020 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2006, 12:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
FNG :)

gusanito wants to know Dino or Syn?
If the coating is bubbling and peeling, no amount of cleaning is going to keep it from doing it again and fouling your petcock and fuel filter. It needs to be removed.
Most coatings can be removed with either MEK or acetone, which you can find at the local hardware store. You can do it without screwing up your paintjob, but you have to be very careful. Once it's removed, there are 3 coating solutions I know of, Kreem, POR-15 and RedKote. I've used all 3 and if you follow the directions, they're all good. Kreem and POR-15 require the metal to be etched with an acid rinse after it's been de-rusted and cleaned, RedKote does not, so it's easier to use. From what I understand, RedKote is used primarily in commercial applications, such as the aircraft industry and radiator shops.

George
gusanito is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2011, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

msbris wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRide View Post
A friend of mine and I were servicing his 2003 Heritage Softail Classic for winter storage. He only had about a tank of fuel so he could put in the Fuel Stabilizer. When he looked inside the tank, he noticed that it had an Epoxy Coating to sealing it, but the sealant had blistered in several places. It looked as though the sealant was coming loose from the inside of the tank. He called the local Harley dealer and they said that they had only seen that one other time, but that it was not covered under the Extended Warranty. The dealer also said that Harley has discontinued the use of the sealant, so that kind of indicates that they might have had a problem with coating the insides of the tank.
My question is, has anyone ever dealt with or seen this problem before? If so what was the fix or resolution?
I have a 2003 Electra with the same thing going on, Blisters inside the fuel tank. I pulled the tank cover off last night to inspect inside my tank and was not happy to see blisters in the inner tank liner, mostly on the right side. I came on here today to see whats up with that???

thanks'
Mitch
msbris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

Springer01 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Ok, anyone have any updated advice or experience here? My 2001 FLSTSi is just starting to peel a tiny bit inside the tank. A flashlight stuck in the fuel-fill hole shows some very small amount of rust by and around the right side crossover tube where the liner has come loose. Vast majority of the factory internal tank lining is intact. Expect that the rest will start to peel over time. Injection pump, regulator and filter still working fine inside tank but "squeals" from time to time with a 1/2 tank or less. Suspect the input screen/filter has little pieces of this tank liner in it. No unusual noise from the pump when tank is full. Bike still running fine. Please reply if you've had a similiar experience not based on "speculation" :-) of what (may) happen or how to solve? Thanks all !
Springer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

gb1500 wants to know Dino or Syn?
put the shots in with water wrap it in your wifes best bedspread and throw it in the dryer....ha!
gb1500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Onedrunkmunk wants to know Dino or Syn?
Red-Kote is the best tank liner to use. I've using it on tanks for years.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

59panhead wants to know Dino or Syn?
dont let harley fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongRide View Post
to bad that happened ! well the fix begins with getting all the crap out 1st

the stuff a lot of on line HD parts dealers and H-D dealers sell is this crap called creem dont use it except all you guys with pos sushi bikes oh ya victorys too

the best stuff I have found is from a company called POR 15

i always use it before the tanks go into Paint so when there already painted you have to be xxxxxtra careful

LQQK @ por15 website this stuff treats the metal it doesnt coat it !
the only next thing to do is order a Brand new tank with the oem paint from Harley $$$$$$
59panhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.