Softail Custom thread : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2006, 02:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Breez wants to know Dino or Syn?
Softail Custom thread

I just picked up my '07 Softail Custom this weekend. What a sweet ride! I'm sure since it's a new model (brought back) it's going to be very popular when it's all said and done. I'll post pics when I get to my home computer.
Breez is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2006, 06:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

dave E wants to know Dino or Syn?
congrat on thenew bike im thinkin about getting one next year
im gonna give wifey mine

Last edited by dave E; 08-15-2006 at 06:13 PM.
dave E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

Here are some pics.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

dave E wants to know Dino or Syn?
great pics .hows it run ? hows it ride ? hows it sound?
dave E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:23 AM   #5 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

mcsnitz wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great to see the custom come back. Its a great looking bike; congrats Breez.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave E
great pics .hows it run ? hows it ride ? hows it sound?
It runs great! She sure wants to get up in go with the 96 incher. Can't wait till it's broken in. The engine is really quiet on this bike. You can actually hear the factory pipes! I did order some Rush slip-ons and should have them on by next week.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

bobdar wants to know Dino or Syn?
'07 Fxstc

Got my '07 custom 2 weeks ago and I love it except for the transmission noise that seems to be developing. More of a feel than a noise really. Not so bad in 1st, 2nd or 3rd, but can really feel it in 4, 5 and 6. Kind of a low end knocking/rattling. At first I thought it was the engine but put a stethescope on it and its definitely the tranny. Started at about 500kms. have just bout 900 kms now. Was at the dealer a few days ago and they told me not to worry about it, but going back tomorrow. Just doesn't feel good. Other than that everything is great.
BTW, if you pull the grab strap forward a bit it hides the gap between the seats nicely.
bobdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 02:37 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdar
Got my '07 custom 2 weeks ago and I love it except for the transmission noise that seems to be developing. More of a feel than a noise really. Not so bad in 1st, 2nd or 3rd, but can really feel it in 4, 5 and 6. Kind of a low end knocking/rattling. At first I thought it was the engine but put a stethescope on it and its definitely the tranny. Started at about 500kms. have just bout 900 kms now. Was at the dealer a few days ago and they told me not to worry about it, but going back tomorrow. Just doesn't feel good. Other than that everything is great.
BTW, if you pull the grab strap forward a bit it hides the gap between the seats nicely.
I have noticed the same with mine from 4th to 5th. I'm also having problems downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, and sometimes into 1st. I'm waiting for all my parts to come in and I'll get them to look at it.
Old 09-03-2006, 05:31 PM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

bkkemper wants to know Dino or Syn?
May I ask how much you paid for your Softtail Custom? I was in the Anchorage dealer on Friday and asked the salesman how much they were asking for the Black 2007 Custom on the floor. The salesman replied with $22,000 out the door. MSRP is around $17K. He said that they offer a military discount, but could did not have specifics about the program. $22K sounded like he was smoking crack!!!

Thanks,

Bryan
bkkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkemper
May I ask how much you paid for your Softtail Custom? I was in the Anchorage dealer on Friday and asked the salesman how much they were asking for the Black 2007 Custom on the floor. The salesman replied with $22,000 out the door. MSRP is around $17K. He said that they offer a military discount, but could did not have specifics about the program. $22K sounded like he was smoking crack!!!

Thanks,

Bryan
Yep, smoking crack. I got mine for MSRP. I also got 10% off parts and 10% off labor the day I purchased it.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:10 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkkemper

Thanks,

Bryan
Yup definitely trying to screw you. I paid $23K canadian and that included taxes, stage 1 mods, chrome fork legs and installation, plus a few hundred in other parts.
Old 09-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

The noise in the tranny seems to have everyone baffled at the deeler. One tech thinks its just lugging. another says that the new big gears have to wear in and mesh. Sounds like BS to me, but since there aren't any service manuals available yet they admit that they are guessing. One thing we all agree on is that the shift points listed in the owners manual are out to lunch. It says you're supposed to shift into second ant 25 kph(15mph) and then every 15 kph after that(10 mph). That puts you in 6th at 85kph(55mph)! way too slow. I've been shifting at around 35,55,80,100,120kph for the last 5oo km or so and it is much smoother that way.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:31 AM   #13 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Citoriplus wants to know Dino or Syn?
I picked up the twin brother to yours on Thursday, and I haven't been this happy since I discovered sex.
After years of no bike or a couple of smaller Oriental ones this thing is AWSOME. The engine has the kind of low to mid range brute force torque that nip bikes only dream of, or can only get by winding their engines up to somewhere north of the arctic circle.

Mine has some tranny/engine noise too, but in my case its probably because I'm just not very familiar with the more common "Harley" noises.

One thing I have noticed is that the tranny shifts are a LOT more positive than anything I have ridden before. It leaves NO doubt that its going into gear. Going into first is like there's a truck tranny down there, you can both feel and hear it go in. Is that normal?

And BTW I only paid MSRP + taxes and got the same 10% discount for parts and labor. The salesman may come to regret that one, or maybe I will.
Citoriplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 12:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citoriplus
One thing I have noticed is that the tranny shifts are a LOT more positive than anything I have ridden before. It leaves NO doubt that its going into gear. Going into first is like there's a truck tranny down there, you can both feel and hear it go in. Is that normal?
Mine makes the same clunk into every gear, whether upshifting or downshifting. Probably something to do with the larger gears. You're right about the power too, she really wants to go!. One of the best handling bikes I've ever ridden too. The 2 techs who rode it both said its the best "out of the box" bike they've ever ridden. Can't wait til my SE muffs and intake arrive(backordered).
Old 09-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
Premium Member

George C wants to know Dino or Syn?
There is no doubt about it.
The 6 speed shifts extremely nice. It clunks louder, but I don't know if you can call it a clunk. It's just a louder, silky smooth engagement.
I had an 06' Street Bob for a couple of days, and I really liked the shift throws better than mine.

Pics of my 06' Harley FX Softail
George C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement