BB Reproductions Hard Bags on a Deluxe : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2005, 11:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Vagrant

HD-LUX wants to know Dino or Syn?
BB Reproductions Hard Bags on a Deluxe

Sorry about the long post. This is continuing another thread and I will link this up in the Product Review section too. But I got my BB Reproductions old school retro Duo-Glide bags today and put them on my í05 Deluxe. I like Ďem a lot and would recommend getting them if itís the look you are going for and you know how they differ from the other hard bag choices out there. There is ordering and contact detail in the thread linked above.

The whole kit was very well packaged and arrived ready to install and in perfect shape. Everything was wrapped and bubbled and peanutted and newspaperd and double boxed. There were not any instructions that I could find, and I didnít look to hard, because they are immediately self explanatory. A big help was that they shipped one of the brackets with the springs, cotter pins, bolts, washers and spacers already in place and taped to stay that way. Once you see that it all makes perfect sense how it all goes together.

It is a very simple installation. Basically you crank out the two Torx bolts on your fender rail, crank the new longer 9/16 bolts in through the bracket and set the bag up on the pins. Push it all against the springs, which keep tension on the mounting points to keep it all in place over the bumps, then pop in the four cotter pins and you are done. Total install time is maybe 15 minutes if you take your time.

The bags are not rigidly hinged so they pop off easy enough when you open the latches. The latches lock with some pretty basic keys and are not high security. But the do actually lock. They are leather strapped to stay on (so you canít lose them) and snap lock back in place solidly. The actual material is slightly textured and pretty stiff. In the center where the emblems are it can be flexed and press in maybe ĹĒ.

They are very big inside and there are really no obstructions so you get to use all the space. They hold as much as the other $1,200 aftermarket hard bags out there and way more than the $900 H-D bags. These were $650 delivered.

The brackets are black so you wonít be driving around with the bags off but they come off very simply for cleaning and washing. Four pins and they are off. Once you lock them you canít get inside to remove them so they wonít walk away without a fight. A little persuasion on the latches though and I bet they give up.

Anyway, they are very solid feeling, well made, easy to install, retro looking, large inside, and half the price of higher end hard bags. I think they fit with the custom layback plates too. Take a look and let me know what you think. I think I have found a good custom painter near by so I hope to have then sprayed Glacier White to match the skunk tail and have a Chopper Blue swoosh with a grey/dark blue pin stripe around it very soon. Squint and you can almost see it coming together.

Hereís a few pictures. I have some detail pics too. But these are from my garage at night and I hope to have some sunny day outside long shots this weekend.

Are you a Ducking Foof?

Last edited by HD-LUX; 07-28-2005 at 12:02 AM.
HD-LUX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 12:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
07', 04', 03', & 02

bedemonster wants to know Dino or Syn?
Can you say PIMP..DADDY!!

Looks Sweet!
bedemonster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2005, 08:36 AM   #3 (permalink)
Restless

timbo wants to know Dino or Syn?
Can the emblem be removed from the saddlebag without any damage or leaving a hole behind?
Old 07-28-2005, 08:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
Vagrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo
Can the emblem be removed from the saddlebag without any damage or leaving a hole behind?
Yeah. I asked for/ordered them with the emblems off; to be shipped loose. They even sent a pack of little chrome rivets to DIY it later. Normally they would be drilled and pop rivetted by BB Reproductions. But I have plans to paint them 2-tone to match so I just taped them on for now (using 3M foam double sided automotive trim type adhesive from the local auto super store).

Are you a Ducking Foof?
Old 07-28-2005, 09:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Restless

timbo wants to know Dino or Syn?
I see. Those are good looking bags. My wife has the black/white Deluxe. She hasn't settled on a bag choice yet. I want to show her your photos this evening and see if she likes the style. IMO, I think when you get them painted to match they will look very SHARP! Although I can't really tell from the pics do the bags have a smooth paintable surface, or do they have a texture?

Thanks for posting your review on them. From what I gather, they seem like a quality product.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
Vagrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbo
... do the bags have a smooth paintable surface, or do they have a texture?
They have a slightly textured (like leather) surface that is semi-rigid. The manufacturer said they can be painted and that flexible "bumper paint" should be used. Another biker here on the VTF is getting some sample material to check on how well they can be painted. I am taking them to a reputable custom painter in Martinsburg, WV to have them checked out for painting. I have also spoken with 2 auto painters. So far I've been told that yes, they can be painted (and sanded smooth) and that a flexible additive should be used in the clear-coat. Thatís the word on the street so far.

Are you a Ducking Foof?

Last edited by HD-LUX; 07-28-2005 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

empireghost wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005xl1200c
...Take a look and let me know what you think...
I think they look great. Are they available, if you know, for a Fatboy?
empireghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2005, 11:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Vagrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by empireghost
Are they available ... for a Fatboy?
I believe so but I don't know for sure. I say that because the owner said he can make brackets at most any height and forward/aft position. If that's true then he can fit them to a stock FLSTF. The pipes are about 2" higher on the Fatboy than the Fatgirl. These bags clear my top muffler by about 1/2". If you have low, aftermarket pipes, like V&Hs, then I would geuss it's a no brainer. The owner is a good dude and will work out just about anything with you. I had the bags installed exactly 1 week after calling him with my order including custom tweaks. The Deluxe was not listed as available on their website (notes under first link to original VTF discussion) but when I called he had Deluxe brackets. I would give him a call (East Coast time) and check it out. He said he has gotten a few calls already from the this board and seemed pretty excited about the buzz here.

Are you a Ducking Foof?
Old 07-28-2005, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

tommydorsey wants to know Dino or Syn?
Chris - Bags look great! And your garage looks a lot like mine, with all the kids stuff hanging up. Gave me a chuckle.... Jim
tommydorsey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2005, 12:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
Vagrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydorsey
... with all the kids stuff hanging up.
Yeah, my kid's stuff sort of spills out into my parking area and I get all grumpy. So I hang the trikes and scooters and hoola-hoops (last pic) up on the wall to make space. Then they'll tug on one to get it down and it becomes a waterfall of toys! Somebody's gonna get hurt!

Are you a Ducking Foof?

Last edited by HD-LUX; 07-28-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
EASY DOES IT

swmnkdinthervr wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommydorsey
Chris - Bags look great! And your garage looks a lot like mine, with all the kids stuff hanging up. Gave me a chuckle.... Jim
Ditto Chris...those bags are t i t s !!!

My pics

'04 Springer Softtail, 98" Nikasil
swmnkdinthervr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2005, 02:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Premium Member

barrygreen wants to know Dino or Syn?
Great review, I just got off the phone with them ordering some for my springer classic...great people to deal with and FREE SHIPPING!

Barry
barrygreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 08:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
Not-so-Fatboy

BigSwede wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-LUX
HD-LUX,

Is that the factory taillight and turn signals? If so, you dont happen to have the part numbers do you?

ps, sorry for hijacking the thread

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide

Last edited by BigSwede; 12-28-2005 at 08:41 PM.
BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 09:15 PM   #14 (permalink)
Vagrant

Yeah, that's the factory fender, tombstone tail light and blinker setup on the '05 and later Deluxe. Sorry I don't have the H-D PN#s for the stock stuff. The blinkers are slightly recessed (dimpled) and the tail light mounts over a large bump out. But it would fit most of the FL softails like the Fatty.

Are you a Ducking Foof?
Old 12-28-2005, 09:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
Not-so-Fatboy

BigSwede wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-LUX
Yeah, that's the factory fender, tombstone tail light and blinker setup on the '05 and later Deluxe. Sorry I don't have the H-D PN#s for the stock stuff. The blinkers are slightly recessed (dimpled) and the tail light mounts over a large bump out. But it would fit most of the FL softails like the Fatty.
Thanks man. I have to replace my rear fender as it is, so I figured I would go with the deluxe rear fender and do the tombstone taillight and turn signal setup. Guess I need to make a trip down to the stealer tomorrow .

2009 Vivid Black Street Glide

BigSwede is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself. WE WILL SEND A CONFIRMATION EMAIL TO THE ADDRESS YOU PROVIDE. If the email address is NOT VALID, you will not be given access to the system!
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.