V-Twin Forum banner

fatboy solid disc whell question

6K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  Alan S 
#1 · (Edited)
fatboy solid disc wheel question

Hello,
Considering purchasing a 1999 fatboy. I have not ridden it yet. I have talked to people (none of them own a fatboy) that say they do not handle as well as other softails due to the solid disc wheels and cross winds. Is this true? Any owners out there have any problems due to the solid wheels ?

thanks for the help

#2 ·
I wish this "old wives tale" would go away.
Question: How many Gold Wings with solids do you see running around out there?
And I'll bet you they have way more miles on there bikes than most of us have.
:cool:

#3 ·
I really don't know or have an opinion myself, since I've never rode a fatboy. I can only just state what I've heard from others...so here goes...

It all depends on who you talk to. I know one guy that traded his fatboy in because of the so-called cross wind problems. And he swears that it was an ill-handling bike because of the wheels. I know a few people that have complained or changed wheels because of it...

On the other hand, some others say that its not that big of problem...or it is all a joke and isn't a problem at all. Some fatboy owners just changed the wheels out to a mag wheel.

Based on my best guess....I'd have to say that I've heard more often that it is an issue than people say that it isn't an issue. On a best guess at percentage I'd guess 60% say it is a problem and 40% say that it isn't a problem.

#5 ·
Although I haven't had my fatboy all that long, I have ridden in some pretty good cross-winds and all I noticed was that in stronger gusts I can feel the bike being pushed a bit. Nothing serious. I probably wouldn't have even noticed it if I wasn't concerned with it myself before buying the bike.

Ride on.

#6 · (Edited)
I've had my Fatboy for ~22,000 miles and in my opinion the wheels have little to no adverse effect on handling in a crosswind. When you do encounter a crosswind the bike does get moved, but no more than any other bike of the same size. The wheels are, however, a pain in the a$$ to keep polished. I am willing to bet that most people that have handling issues with a fatboy in high crosswind situations, have a wheel balancing issue or an alignment issue, which would exaggerate the effect of the crosswind.

#8 ·
I have personally riden in excess of 80,000 miles ALL on solid wheels, both on my old fatboy and now on my SE Road King....I can promise you that you can not tell the difference in a cross wind.....there is no effect at all....its just an old tale that won't go away. If someone tells you that it will push you around...I yell BULLS**T.....its TOTAL BULLS**T.

If you honestly look at the profile you will find that your brake disc takes up most of the side of the wheel anyway....

I ride to work 25 miles each way everyday....the last 10 miles is on a road that runs due east - west....and the wind here ALWAYS blows either from the north of south...thus there is ALWAYS a cross wind...and somedays it pretty strong....and its NEVER EVER effected the handling of the bike.

#9 ·
Fb Bs

Like most others here .. I have NO trouble with crosswinds because of the wheels .. and if you think about the physics involved .. do you REALLY think the crosswind is somehow going to make it through a spoke wheel spinning at 50 - 60 MPH?? .. I have ridden lots of bikes and the same thing is true on all .. crosswinds affect the bike in direct relation to it's side profile .. one of the worst bikes I had for crosswinds was a BMW K1100LT .. big, tall with hard cases and tail trunk ... yup crosssinds could definitely be felt .. much more than bikes I've had with lower profiles .. the wheels are incidental ...

Cheers

#11 ·
alaskan302 said:
I've had my Fatboy for ~22,000 miles and in my opinion the wheels have little to no adverse effect on handling in a crosswind. When you do encounter a crosswind the bike does get moved, but no more than any other bike of the same size. The wheels are, however, a pain in the a$$ to keep polished. I am willing to bet that most people that have handling issues with a fatboy in high crosswind situations, have a wheel balancing issue or an alignment issue, which would exaggerate the effect of the crosswind.
the fatboy wind thing is a myth. though, i am changing mine to spokes because i can't stand polishing aluminum...and i'm too cheap to buy solid chrome (or to get the stock wheels chromed). if things go as they usually do with my cheap ass, i will not like the spokes either...and i will be pissed at myself for cheaping out and not getting the chrome solid wheels. then, sometime later, i will sell the spokes and buy chrome solid wheels. i will likely lose some money in the process...but i will be too stupid to learn from the experience. then i will repeat it again with something else...over and over again.

#12 ·
I would rather polish solid aluminum wheels than spokes anyday, even on a good day.
PLus the results are much more rewarding, hehe.

When I do go with another set of wheels they will be solid chromed Fat Boy wheels. The bike is meant to have solid wheels on it. I feel like you take awy from the Fat Boy with any wheel other than solids, just my opinion.

I had a spoked bike before the Fat Boy and do not notice and difference with cross winds on ths bike, none.

#15 ·
I've only had my Fat Boy for 2 days, put 120 miles on it yesterday in the California Desert, high winds yeaterday 30 -40 miles per hour. The bike was stable and unaffected by the wind, unlike the Sportster that I used to ride. I don't think the wheels make a difference in the wind.

Xaran

#18 ·
I knew I was supposed to use a rag on the dishes, just think all this time Ive been letting my dog lick'em clean. Would also explain why I cant clean my wheels very well
Put some Gravytrain on your wheels...your dog will do the rest :D :D :D

Back to the handleing issue...I can't say the same about low water crossing's, and 4" of fast moving water. Almost dumped her in the Hill Country last Summer :)

#20 ·
I'm with Xaran, and pretty sure even though I'm not a physicist, that stability in a crosswind has multiple factors in addition to whether the wheels are solid or spoked. On my spoked sporty a strong crosswind would get a little spooky sometimes with the front wheel dancing and the whole bike being pushed. On the fatboy, no dancing, no movement @ 75-80, unlike the sporty. So, it's not just spoke v solid. Tire size? Contact patch size? Wheel size? Weight? Center of gravity? Lots of sh** I'm sure.

Lefty

#21 ·
wind n wheels

I'm not going to blow wind. I own a heritage and I changed over to solids after the chrome started wearing off the spokes and getting a flat. I must say that (to me) in heavy cross winds you gan notice a little difference, but nothing to worry about! If the fat boy is what you want than get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.