Heritage owners discussion : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2005, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

daver3298 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Heritage owners discussion

Ok, just figured if the fatboy, night train and deuce have their own discussion us heritage owners should too. So, I'll start off with one thing I know I may change...what do you guys/gals think about the stock handlebars? I personally am having trouble getting used to them. I had Apes on my sporty and I'm used to that.

I just got my heritage in December so I don't have much miles on it yet...dang snow. I don't want real high apes...maybe 12 inch or so. Not sure if I have to change cables for that or if stock will be ok. i think I will have to go to a 2+ or 4+ overstock cables, maybe.
ABATE - HOG
daver3298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2005, 10:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

brucen2son wants to know Dino or Syn?
need to raise floorboards ??

I have on '03 Heritage Classic..well, if your Significant Other is looking for the floorboards to be a little higher, say about 1 1/2" well I have the fix. Instead of the brackets HD supplies large Hex mount which curve downward there is a set of brackets which is straight. This is where you get the 1 1/2" rise from. HD sells these brackets for about $74 each $148 total in Black....But Custom Chrome sells the set for $123 in Chrome, and Discount Cycle Parts gets about $91 for this set. Now if you go to the Catalogue for Custom Chrome section 3, footpegs and foot controls, about page 21 you will see a pic of 3 brackets, the one for the touring models 87-92 is the one you want... Part # 98296. This worked for me.
I hope this link works.

http://download.customchrome.com/cat...05/s_03_05.pdf

Last edited by brucen2son; 02-02-2005 at 10:14 AM.
brucen2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 11:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

GlennM wants to know Dino or Syn?
By all means!! I had an '01 FXDL and just out grew it. I now have an '04 FLSTC glacier pearl white and I love it. Vance $ Hines BigShots Staggered, SE air, 95" BB, S&S 510g cams, chromed out front end including hand controls, Chubby 508 bars, flames theme floor boards, pass floor boards/grips, chrome pulley, engine guard, other misc chrome doo-dads. Prolly pulling the heads off in a month or so for porting. I picked up a tour pak, so this bike can be a tourer or can strip it down for a sharp cruiser. I didn't like the mini apes, and love the low wide chubbys. Wouldn't trade this bike for any.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Looks great! Actually those stock bars aren't mini-apes. they are called something like modified touring bars. Mini-apes have more bend downward in the grips instead of back. Anyhow, I am not crazy about them. Yours look cool. I'm used to higher apes so that will probibly be what I want. You got the Leather tour pack? I like how they match the bags.
ABATE - HOG
Old 02-02-2005, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

GlennM wants to know Dino or Syn?
I bought almost all of my HD parts through Hale's HD, 20% off. Comes in handy, especially with the big ticket items like the tour pak.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Yeah...I got the pipes, stage 1 and power command installed as soon as i bought it. The dealer was really making me a great deal....immeadiately took 1500 off MSRP on the 04 models. He was really trying to sell because he had 4 heritages from 04 not sold! Then he looked at the parts I wanted and said that the parts and labor were free except the pipes...and he knocked 100 buck off of them. I saved myself a total of 2,300 by getting the 04 model instead of the 05. I couldn't pass that deal up!
ABATE - HOG

Last edited by daver3298; 02-02-2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
TL

tlewis wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have an '05 Heritage. First one off the truck in July. Just over 4200 miles now. I've got the Amsoil waiting in the garage for when I hit the 5k mark. I'm going to try to do my own service.

During the winter I mostly get to ride on the weekends. Unfortunately, it has been very wet the last 2 weekends so I've been spending a lot of time in the garage. I enjoy tinkering with it and adding do-dads occasionally when I can't ride.

Mostly stock but here's what I've added:
Stage 1
2into1 ProPipe
Heated gear
ISO grips
Chrome footboards/cover - chrome brackets
windshield bag (priceless)
A bunch of little chrome covers - fender skirt, banjo, clutch, master cylinders, switch housing, etc.
Kuryakyn running/brake light module

This past weekend I was going to take the backrest off to see what it would look like with a solo seat but leaving the bags on. Damn the MOCO and their red loctite. Stripped a T40 on the fender strut. Have ordered an impact driver.

I'm going to change the torx screws in the inspection and derby covers this week. Torx be damned!

TL
Old 02-02-2005, 06:10 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

sfarson wants to know Dino or Syn?
I do like the stock Heritage bars, but I'm tall and they fit me well. They also enhance that in-the-bike feel.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
IronButt

2s Wild wants to know Dino or Syn?
Good thread & good info guys.
After thowing a mess of parts at it, I traded in my Deuce that I just could not stay comfortable on. I bought my new Heritage in November. I was sold on the "High Roller" custom paint. And yeah, I paid a ton for this bike. Have made a couple mods including chroming out the front end, and Kuryakyn ISO pegs/grips all the way round. Had the dealer do the front-end and Stage I, w/ SE II tubes and re-map. Almost have the bike where I want it. Tween travel and weather, still under 500 miles. Riding this weekend 4 sure.
Have yet to even see the bike with the bags on. Finally picked up the qwik detach stuff for the bags from the stealer yesterday. A little pissed in that one of the 3 different 'HD parts' I needed was a 'Bare Backs' (non-HD) packet of bolts and stuff. Did I 'F' up and spend too much here? Apparently there are other kits I was not aware of. Anybody have any experience/tips in hanging the qwik detach stuff?

tlewis, yeah, I got the part about the Torx!

sfarson ... tall here as well, the bars are just right!
2s Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
CMA-er

marthared wants to know Dino or Syn?
Yep, LOVE my Heritage! I've got an 04' teal and silver, with almost 17,000 miles so far. I commute 45 miles each way to work in Seattle. I also wouldn't trade it for any other bike. Mods include:

Flanders 11" buckhorn handlebars
SE slip ons and air cleaner
Back-off tail light modulator
Got Saggy Bags inserts
Lock Your Leathers inserts
new HD prism headlamp
light visors
old-style tank badge
Metzler 880 white walls
studded mudflap
HD nostalgic grips
nostalgic horn cover (round chrome)
nostalgic air cleaner cover (round chrome)
front and rear fender rails

As you can tell, I've tried to make my bike nostalgic, as close to the hydraglide as possible. Most people are confused, and can't tell what year it is.. I like it that way!

2012 FLSTC, Samson True Duels w/ Fishtails

"Be still, and know that I am God" Psalm 46:10
marthared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Martha ... you have pix out here?

Thought I'd throw a couple in .......

Last edited by 2s Wild; 02-02-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Looking good! It was 40 degrees here today so I had to take a ride! Now my bike has 135 miles on it! I think it had 110 before. My fingers and face got numb so I headed home earlier than I wanted to, but it was a nice little ride anyhow!
ABATE - HOG
Old 02-02-2005, 08:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Oh yeah...mine is also the 2004 Teal/silver two-tone.
ABATE - HOG
Old 02-03-2005, 04:54 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

That Teal/Silver combination has to be one of the best color combinations the MoCo has ever produced as an alternative to the all blacks. That was the color of my Deuce.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

slickone wants to know Dino or Syn?
Here is my 91 with 10" mini apes from wild one. Not too high just right for me

2001 Roadking
slickone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement