V-Twin Forum banner

Fatboy owners discussion

642K views 2K replies 545 participants last post by  jimjokjv 
#1 ·
Saw the Deuce thread and thought a Fatboy thread was in need. So, to start off, tell us your thoughts, show us your pictures, tell us about new products, etc. for the Fatboy.

I realize, probably everyone here knows what my bike looks like, so I won't post a pic yet. At least until it's done. ;)

For those who are thinking about getting a Fatboy, get one. It's one of the most versital bikes Harley has ever made.

Another thing, since this is the 15th Anniversary of the Fatboy, what are your thought on the bike? What do you like and dislike about the bike?

Let the discussion begin...

See less See more
#53 ·
Hey Otter,
I did my own detach hardware, not as good as some but I like it. Bare backs makes a pretty good setup but be ready for a decent sized gap between the bags and the fender strut, especialy if you have a quick detach back rest.
Also be ready to spend the bux on the kit.

If you want any bags big enough to hold anything you'll have to relocate your signals.

#55 ·
Lefty said:
Will think about 95" kit & cams down the road. Not sure I really even need, except to be macho and thats a lot of dinero for macho. Had the anniv version been out when I bought "Jolene", still would have bought Jolene. I can do with her what I want. And, painted oil tank? I like the chrome one.

Fatboys forever!

Lefty
'05 FLSTFI (Jolene)
chopper blue and brilliant silver
I felt the same way when I first got mine. Now I do not know how I ever rode it at 88 inches. 95" is great, especially when riding a passanger. I live in the hills of eat TN so it really makes it more pleasurable to ride. I'm sitting at 99.5 foot pounds of torque. Now I want more power :D However I can not afford it yet.

#58 ·
foddlefadel said:
Joe
Where are the wild 1 504 bars available?
Love the Danny Gray seat I got from you!
Thank
Dave
Dave, I'm glad that the seat worked out! It is one of the best out there.........

I got the bars from a local parts dealer, but I am sure that they can be had on the net.

JOE

#59 ·
foddlefadel said:
Joe
Where are the wild 1 504 bars available?
Love the Danny Gray seat I got from you!
Thank
Dave
I got my wild 1 518's direct from Wild 1 on the net. I called an talked to them a couple of times about which bars would be best for me. They asked lots of questions about my size, riding style and so on to help me pick the 518's. I was also told if I did not like them I could send them back for the other model I was considering. All and all very good company to work with. There were a few places on the net I could have beat there prices by a few dollars. However the help I got was well worth it.

#61 ·
foddlefadel said:
My complaint about the stock bars are that I have to lean forward too far to reach them...and I have 34" sleeve length arms.
Bought me some 10" mini apes from Flanders. That was my biggest complaint about the Fatboy. My arm inseam is probably less than 30'. Now my step brother is complaining about his '04, but he don't want ape hangers. He might have to go with a drag bar.

#62 ·
foddlefadel said:
Great looking bike. What is the seat and handrails?
Thanks
Dave
It's a Corbin Dual Tour and the V--rail is also a Corbin part. The real beauty of the seat though is that you can put a Corbin backrest in the front, rear or both seat positions so it eliminates the cost and clutter of a detachable harley backrest.

#63 ·
Ralston said:
Those are neat bars... I am tryin to mount quick disconnect road king bags!
I know I saw a kit online that adapts touring bags to softails but I forget where and can't find it again....but it's definately out there.

#702 ·
@gree: thats exactly what I did. feels great~!Awesome!

#67 ·
Wild 1 bars

I spoke with Wild 1 and they origionally recommended the 518 bars, he then asked if I had modified the engine (I just finished my Dewey's 95"BB build) then recommended the 504 bars, to keep some weight over the front of the bike.

I went to my HD dealer and ordered the bars from Bikers Choice part #21-0270 which is their part #. My dealer had a Valentines Day 10% off sale. Regular price $164.95 minus the 10%. HAPPY VALENTINES DAY! :)

Thanks for all your replys to my inquiries
Dave

#68 ·
otterbob said:
can i ask a favor of someone? anyone who has installed the turn signal relocation kit for a detachable backrest, can you post some up close pics as to how they look with and without the backrest?
thanks,
otter
I did the relocation kit and detachable backrest. There are some pics at http://www.wild1inc.com/518go.html

#73 ·
EvEr34,
There's a lot of nice paint jobs on this forum but thats the nicest one I've seen in a loooong time. I for one (besides you) cant wait to see it on the bike. What kind of tank is that? The matching breather finishes it off nice. Who ever painted it deserves a pat on the back and I guess some cash too!!
JTS

#74 ·
JTS1469 said:
EvEr34,
There's a lot of nice paint jobs on this forum but thats the nicest one I've seen in a loooong time. I for one (besides you) cant wait to see it on the bike. What kind of tank is that? The matching breather finishes it off nice. Who ever painted it deserves a pat on the back and I guess some cash too!!
JTS
Thanks for the positive comment. The paint was done by the same guy who did the first pic. I grew tired of it and decided it was time for something new. The tank is a custom stretched tank done by the same guy.

Thanks again

#76 ·
Fatboy special editions

I saw both the Screaming Eagle fatboy and the 15 year anniversary modles last night. Both are very sharp bikes. I really liked the Screaming Eagle version. I love the color matched frame. However I did not care for the silver engine in either. I think the black engine looks much better.

I did not like either enough to even consider getting rid of my 03 fatboy for one of them. I also am pretty sure my 95" would easily out run the 95" 15 year anniversary bike. I also feel if I could not beat the 103" SE it would be very close.