Softtail Standard vs. Deuce Comparison : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2005, 01:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Premium Member

bkkemper wants to know Dino or Syn?
Softtail Standard vs. Deuce Comparison

There was a recent post comparing the Softtail Standard to the Fatboy. Could we continue the discussion with a Comparison to the Deuce?

Other than more paint choices (better looking combinations), a wider rear wheel, some more chrome and about $3K, what is the difference between the two bikes? Positive and negative.

I was in the market for a Sportster 1200 Custom, but the rental that I rode felt a little small and did not have much "muscle" that I perceived. Of course, it was a stock rental bike and would matured with the expected mods, but it started me to think about looking into a Softtail now. Unfortunately, we live in Turkey and the closest Harley dealer is in Istanbul over 10 hours away and we cannot take delivery in country from the AAFES vehicle sales program, so I will have to wait until the next trip to the states for a test ride.

Any insight you guys could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...BK
bkkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2005, 06:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

jtpnu93 wants to know Dino or Syn?
What are yout plans with the bike-- what's your riding style? That will probably help those who are familiar with the bikes.... I own a FatBoy.

In my opinion, the Decuse is very sleek looking, nice lines and like you mentioned, it comes with a lot of chrome. I do think it does cost more than 3K over the Standard if price is drving the train.
jtpnu93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
FNG :)

DOOS wants to know Dino or Syn?
Talking

I own a deuce and it does come with alot of chrome. I think if you're comparing it to a standard, the only difference is cosmetic and not the ride. If part of the fun of riding is showing off your machine while enjoying the road, the deuce is the choice. If hearing a vtwin roaring down the highway puts a smile on your face and the cash isn't flowing freely, you can own a standard and customize it piece by piece. Remember chrome won't get you home but it sure looks nice. Santa delivered a new customer deuce for Christmas this year and all I have to do on cold winter days is look in the garage and I've got a smile you can't wipe off.
DOOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

chucker wants to know Dino or Syn?
Another thing to consider... There are a lot more aftermarket customizing parts for the Softail than for the Deuce...I've got buds who own both...Main differences in the Deuce: Different gas tank, dash panel, rear fender, forks, tail light, seats, 17" rear wheel...lots of parts won't interchange w/ Softail, & will cost more for the Deuce...
Old 01-10-2005, 11:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

junkiefred wants to know Dino or Syn?
The Deuce has a different front end (forks, fender, wheel, headlight, and bars). It has a stretched gas tank, with streched console. It has a different rear end (wider tire, solid rear wheel, different fender style, custom fender struts, and seat). It also has the Fatboy shotgun style exhaust, blacked out cylinders, and as mentioned, lots of chrome.

If you want a softail thats already customized, the Deuce is a cheaper choice. On the other hand, if you plan on customizing yourself, the standard softail will have more custom parts available for it.

I personally love the styling of the Deuce, but went with the standard anyway.
junkiefred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Premium Member

stryder wants to know Dino or Syn?
Cool Just my 2 cents worth.

I went with the Standard when I got mine in 2003 for the reason most have mentioned here.... $$$$. I have since added little by little, to get to where I am now. Chrome engine kit, inner and outer primary, Python slip on's,100th aniversary grips, tank panel,windshield, chrome and rubber foot pegs, low sissy bar, sundowner seat, and a few other odds and ends. I know that as I look for things for the Standard, there are alot of the multi-fit items or custom items that won't fit the Duece. The Duece is kind of a class of its own in parts and styling that all adds up to a little more cash across the counter. But on the flipside.. the Duece does come with some of the toys already installed. Both are a good ride. I went with the Standard for the $$ up front and have enjoyed adding to it to make it my own.

12" of snow on the ground..more on its way..... dang!!!. Think I'll just go sit on it for a while...............
stryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

txlaw2002 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went with the standard because I like the bobtail rear fender. The duece does come with alot of chrome standard. The bars on the duece don't buckhorn back as much as the standard and I like the front forks and fender on the duece also. I decided on the standard because I knewI would change alot of the parts anyway so why pay for parts I don't want ie shotgun exhaust. So I got chopper blue std w/ chrome engine kit, inner primary, fork sliders and se 16g exhaust. That satisfied my chrome fix. Plus I did not like the powder coated parts especially the primary cover, stuck out like a soar thumb. Also I prefer the silver engine vs. wrinkle black. In the end I spent more than what I would have spent on a duece out the door. I don't regret getting the standard over the duece. Plus I got the exact softail that I wanted.
txlaw2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 12:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

sfarson wants to know Dino or Syn?
I've been to that dealership in Istanbul. Not a big place, but still -- nice to see H-D with a presence in Turkey. Fun watching the bikes come by on a Saturday while I was there over a weekend.

Between the two bikes, the above responses capture the diffs well. It will come down to heart and pocketbook. I went with the Deuce for its stretched and sleek look. A factory custom.
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Rooster wants to know Dino or Syn?
no need to explain

Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
'04 FXSTDI

gunnut wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
no need to explain

Rooster,
Are those Ness mirrors? I keep waivering back and forth between the VH Sideshots and Big Radius pipes for my Deuce. Leaning toward the BR at the moment due to them being a bit quieter than the sideshots.
How do you like yours?
Old 01-11-2005, 11:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

colt1911a1 wants to know Dino or Syn?
I looked at a Standard, but looking at one beside a Deuce made the decision easy. Proud owner of a '04 Deuce.
colt1911a1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Rooster wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut
Rooster,
Are those Ness mirrors? I keep waivering back and forth between the VH Sideshots and Big Radius pipes for my Deuce. Leaning toward the BR at the moment due to them being a bit quieter than the sideshots.
How do you like yours?
No they are knock offs, called Killer spikes. I got them off E-bay from Tehas Thump Cycle, or something like that. I love the looks of the SideShots, but they are a bit louder than I like. Whish V&H would make a set of quite baffles for them like the BigShots.
Rooster

Last edited by Rooster; 01-11-2005 at 08:13 PM.
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 07:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
'04 FXSTDI

gunnut wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster
No they are knock offs, called Killer spikes. I got them off E-bay from Tehas Thump Cycle, or something like that. I love the looks of the SideShots, but they are a bit louder than I like. Whish V&H would make a set of quite baffles for them like the BigShots.
Rooster
Either way, you have a very good looking and understated bike there. Less can be more.
Old 01-14-2005, 12:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

lead wrist wants to know Dino or Syn?
Non riders ask what Harley do you ride and you say Deuce they are mystified.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

daver3298 wants to know Dino or Syn?
My choice would be the deuce. I just look at it like if I am going to spend this much on a bike why not spend a few grand more and get the one I like better. I was thinking of getting a deuce but the heritage caught my eye...especially for the type of riding I do i need to have the bags and and added comfort.

I have rode my 883 sporty for the last 3 years and this time I decided that it was time to treat myself to a bigger comfy bike. Also liked the delux but went with the heritage cause of everything I wanted was pretty much included.

Keep us posted...
ABATE - HOG
daver3298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement