V-Twin Forum banner

Lights

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  tennheritage 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a 2003 Harley Heritage Softail Classic.
The "PO" changed the Front "Running Lights" from stock to Light Gray ( I dont think it came with that) Now, The Left front Running Light has quit working, so,I guess its time to replace it. I am wondering if I should try and find a replacement bulb that is same shade in a same stock type Small Sealed Beam? or replace both running lights with Halogens? I know from my car experience that sometimes Halogens draw a lot more current and are harder on electrical wiring /components if the car didnt come stock with Halogens. So...,here are my questions of my esteemed colleagues.

1.) What are your thoughts/experiences about using the Halogen replacements on this bike/model in either running lights or Headlight?

1a)Any issues with Halogens placing a "LOAD" on stock electrical wiring / components?

2.) If I go with Halogens on the running lights, should I go for replacing the Stock Headlight Sealed Beam also? If so, does someone offer an affordable "Package" deal for all 3?

I appreciate your thoughts and input.
Regards
Ed

See less See more
#2 ·
To avoid confusion, the lights you are talking about are not the running lights.

The running lights are in the turn signals on the front, and the tail light on rear. It may sound like I`m being trivial, but that is how they are labeled on a wiring diagram...

The lights you are referring to are called (on the wiring diagrams) auxillary lamps, passing lamps, or simply labelled as spot (on the switch itself).

The passing lamps draw their power from the low beam circuit, and if you increase the current draw by adding halogen lamps, you are not only increasing the current through the low beam wiring, but also the current going through the switch.

Consider using a relay to power the passing lamps, that would take the load off the low beam circuit.

#3 ·
Thanks Dan
I stand corrected, Auxillary lamps, I decided to call the Local Harley dealer and ask about a replacement Sealed Beam for the one thats out, the Harley parts guy says the "Passing Lamps" as he called them were upgraded by the Moco and the type sealed beam I have as oe on my bike were discontinued and no longer available, he suggested I buy the replacement "Kit" ( ??) which would have replacement "Bulbs" instead of entire Lamp , interestingly...the part guy says the kit costs $69 for BOTH Auxillary or passing lamps! I have to admit that doesn't sound too bad, he did say the bulbs that come in the kit are Halogen.Are you familiar with this kit ?
Thanks for your help
Ed

#4 ·
No, I still run the original sealed beams in my passing lamps, they may not be available from a dealership anymore, but those lamps are still made.

Wagner part number: 4415A (less than 10 bucks).

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks again Dan, I looked on-line, the 4415A appears to be an Amber bulb, both mine are clear, Maybe they are a plain 4415? Anyway, it appears theres a Circular retaining ring holding th bulb in with a small screw at bottom/underneath the bulb housing. Sooooo,I am thinkjing maybe I will just loosen that remove the retaining ring then the sealed beam and take it to an Autozone,Advance Auto or O'Reillys and get another, there's not a number on front of bulb but maybe once I remove it I can find a number on it.
I appreciate your help and that's a much better idea than "Converting " the Passing lamps. I kinda like the Look it has now anyway.
If you have any other tips or things I should watch out for when removing or replacing the bulb,I'd be grateful.I am hoping it should be a rather straightforward and simple process.
Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.