What's the cost of a sissy bar for my '04 Fatboy? : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2004, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Derk Diggler wants to know Dino or Syn?
What's the cost of a sissy bar for my '04 Fatboy?

I'm not very familiar with the cost of "HD" accessories but this is just down right ridiculous! I asked the dealership where I bought my bike how much they would charge for a removable sissy bar, including labor, and they quoted me $474.00! WTF!

Is it gold plated and studded with diamonds!?! Or maybe I just came across as being an idiot that doesn't know any better...
Either way, I'm not paying that for a sissy bar.

Where can I get one reasonably priced?
Derk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2004, 04:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt

lowbar wants to know Dino or Syn?
I just put one on my 04 Road Glide. The price breakdown was approx:

150. detachable backrest
90. backrest pad
32. detachablable docking kits (front and rear)
----
272. You can get 20% off at chicagoharley.com or hales.com Sounds like they are charging a boat load for the labor to put the docking kits on. Do it yourself. It takes awhile but isn't that hard.

lowbar
Old 06-10-2004, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
D_T
Renegade

D_T wants to know Dino or Syn?
The detachable rig for the Fatboy requires relocating the turn signals. That's where the money difference is.
Like Lowbar said, you can save some by doing the work yourself, but it's more involved than just a bolt-on job.
OTOH, the fixed outfit is a painless install and doesn't require turn signal relocation. Your call.
There are some aftermarket set-ups out there, but we're talkin' nickel and dime savings for possibly inferior chrome, and pads that may or may not match your seat. $100 in savings doesn't make a very big hill of beans next to a $20,000 bike.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
FNG :)

15Truckee wants to know Dino or Syn?
YEOW! Big bucks! I was also planning on doing the quick release sissy bar on my 04 FatBoy. Maybe I'll hold out and see if anyone else does this mod, and see how involved relocating the turn signals turns out to be. Dont really want to go with the permanent bar.
15Truckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 08:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt

chops wants to know Dino or Syn?
You don't want a dealer to relocate the sigs anyway. They will drill extra holes in your fender and that's not necessary.
You might find some good parts on ebay if your hesitant about the cost new.
Old 06-11-2004, 11:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt

Fatboy03 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Took my detachable backrest off my 03 Fatboy and went rigid mount after about 2500 miles because the detachable set up started to rattle and it was annoying. Harley shop said they could get me the plastic bushings for the mounting hardware and the first set would be covered by my warrenty because I had it installed before I took delivery. I said not to bother because I would have to change it every 2 or 3 months and I only took the damn backrest off once since I had it. Went rigid instead.

Heres the breakdown.
175.00 detachable sideplates
75.00 upright (sissy Bar)
45.00 Hardware for sideplates
90.00 Fatboy backrest
45.00 detachables lock (just in case)

I do have the sideplates and the hardware as well as the locks and if you want them, give me a good price and we can work it out. Thats if you want to put up with the rattle. I will throw in the locks for free.

By the way. You do not have to relocate the turn signals just for a detachable backrest. Thats only if you are going to add large detachable saddlebags with the detachable backrest. It all depends on the sideplates and hardware you order. This one does not require relocation. Confused yet....

Let me know
Old 06-11-2004, 11:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt

tomv wants to know Dino or Syn?
i hear you can buy other motorcycles for quite a bit less too. but that didnt stop you. look into the different options available and the possiblitly of installing it yourself to save a few bucks. it is far from rocket science. drilling extra holes in the fender isnt a big deal either if you have to.
never had a problem with rattling with my detachables. 6th season and trouble free. couldnt you put a twist in the sideplates to add tension or something like that?

its all fun and games till someone gets hurt...then its one of americas funniest hime videos...
tomv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 12:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

It may be as easy as taking a very small piece of electrical tape and wrapping it around the rear mount bushing which is where the rattle comes from. Perhaps you wont even get a rattle. It could also be a new spring clip between the lock and the sideplate that keeps the sideplates on the mount. Thats gotta be a 1.00 piece if that. Perhaps you can work with the locks too. Whatever the case, I thought I would need to detach the damn thing to look sleeker but I like it just the way it is so I took it off to avoid any issues like this. It is very easy to install.....just giving my .02
Old 06-11-2004, 04:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider

Derk Diggler wants to know Dino or Syn?
I went to the dealership today to look at my bike for the first time. WOW! I ended up spending more money..oh well.
Since I bought more stuff he is doing the sissy bar for $392.00 including labor.
I bought two leather jackets, new grips, marker lamps, and a few other things I can't remember..anyway I told them to have it ready by next Thursday, that's when I'll be back to pick it up. No prob.!
When I go back I'll be purchasing a helmet too and maybe some riding boots.

My wife is going to kill me over the jackets, I have a closet full of riding jackets but they are all for sport bikes. And I also have four pricey helmets too..also for sport bikes.
I can hear it now... "Why can't you wear what you already have?"
I'll post some pics when I pick it up on Thursday.

Last edited by Derk Diggler; 06-11-2004 at 05:54 PM.
Derk Diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 07:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

71Fish wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
By the way. You do not have to relocate the turn signals just for a detachable backrest. Thats only if you are going to add large detachable saddlebags with the detachable backrest. It all depends on the sideplates and hardware you order. This one does not require relocation. Confused yet....
Which sideplates fit without relocation of the turn signals? I just got some detach sideplates for a Fatboy...your saying it will fit without the relocation? I haven't tried. Which part numbers would work?

Last edited by 71Fish; 06-11-2004 at 07:07 PM. Reason: er
71Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 08:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

Octain wants to know Dino or Syn?
I have the quick release on mine and love it, wouldnt go any other way.
I ride solo alot(to and from work) but when the wife or the boy wants to ride its only a 2 min job to change the seat and pop the backrest on.

I dont think its required to relo the signals for the rigd mount rest but that was not an option for me as I like the Fatboy much better when it looks like a Fatboy instead of a Heratage. The quick detach is one of the many perks of owning a Harley.

My dealership had a 15% off day and I decided to do it then and got the whole nine yards(with small pad) for just under 300 bux, the signal relo kit and the docking kit, side plates, bar and pad. I picked up a rack off ebay for the rest so that makes it even better for the little t-bag

The intsall thing aint that big of a deal just take your time and read the directions. Do one side at a time so the fender dont fall off. It really is a easy task if you have any type of mechanical inclination.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy03

Let me know

Never heard of that one.
I cant see any way the detach sideplates would work without relocating the signals.
Old 06-13-2004, 08:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

Sh*$, I have got to be f*&cking crazy these days. You are absolutely right. Sorry about that. I just changed the detachables to the rigid and it uses the same fender strut bolt but yes my signals were pushed out to the end of the strut. I don't know why I was thinking about the relocation kit that puts the signals under the tail light, maybe because we just bought my wife the Heritage classic or something. Brain fart. Sorry about that but think of this. If you are buying a 16,000+ Harley ( not including add-ons) and you want the detachables. Do you trust yourself enough to drill the 2 little holes for the 25.00 relocation kit. So much as scratch that fender (not to mention screw up the fender), and you will be replacing that with cost out of your pocket. Thats a chance you may want to take to save the 100.00 Harley fee. Thats up to you. Sorry for the confusion. I still have the sideplates and mounting hardware if anyone wants to do it themselves.
Old 06-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy03
If you are buying a 16,000+ Harley ( not including add-ons) and you want the detachables. Do you trust yourself enough to drill the 2 little holes for the 25.00 relocation kit. So much as scratch that fender (not to mention screw up the fender)
Bro, you must really have brain gas bad cause drilling is not necessary.
The holes are already there from the factory signals. You just have to plug the front ones with the little chrome plugs that come with the relo kit.

Not busting you balls or nuttin but I just didnt want anyone here to be afraid of doing the job themselves.
It really is easy, it just takes a little time and patience.

I do my best to stay away from the dealer as you can see.
Old 06-13-2004, 03:41 PM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)

15Truckee wants to know Dino or Syn?
Octain -

Ya got any pics of your setup or any of the necessary part numbers. I would like to do a detachable for my 04 Fatboy, but really wasn't too keen on having to drill other holes.....but maybe after I see yours...........hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

Also, what if you just dropped the signals altogether - and got like a license plate bracket with the turnsignals bolted to that??? Could that work????
15Truckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement