Deuce owner discussion : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2004, 12:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
FNG :)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 8
Jimmyv wants to know Dino or Syn?
Deuce owner discussion

I wanted to start this thread to discuss the pros and cons of customizing an already custom bike. I have an 04 Deuce. I have done several modifications that I feel are appropriate and I want to hear other viewpoints. If you are a Deuce owner then our tastes in Harley's is pretty close anyway. I would assume we, as a group, like a goodlooking chopper, too, but have chosen a Deuce for all the reasons you choose a Deuce for i.e., looks, reliability, looks, then looks, and suprizing performance, with looks . Does that about sum it up?
First, Stage 1, Screamin Eagle pipes. Why? The dealer said i get the best of both Worlds....That Harley rumble and more power than going with Vance/Hines.
2. Polished brake drums. Why? They don't rust as easy as stock, and they look cool.
3. Stainless steel wire front wheel. Why? My stock wire wheel rusted in two weeks.....are you ready for that sh#t! Went to stainless for the rust problem and the fringe benefit..... looks. Who knew?
4. All red tail light kit. A must. You look like a glowing fire truck from the rear, and if your taillight goes out, your two back turning signals work like brake lights, too.....lastly, all red lights in the rear look more uniform
5. Tore off that little strap on the middle of my seat for the passenger to hold on to. Why? It ain't worth a sh#t and takes away from the curvy sweeping lines of the seat.
6 Fat handlebar conversion for internal wiring, and stainless externals. Why? Beefy good looks.
7. Chrome rear axle covers. Why? Hides those funky looking bolts.
8. Now, here's a good one that only a picture can tell you, but I don't have one yet, so I hope i can explain this one right because it is very cool. You can tuck your license plate up under your rear fender so it just sticks out enough to be seen, yet has a real low profile and fits the bike a whoooole lot better and shows alot more of that back tire.
Simple to do, too. Just unscrew your plate, hold it in place and slide it up till it won't go any father....drill two holes where the bottom holes in your license plate are now....attach the license plate. Take a jig saw and cut out around it and use a rasp to clean up the edges.....Throw the rest away. Go get one of those narrow chrome license plate frames, attach it and Done. You might want to put a little black paint on the sawed plastic edges around your plate. Stand back and check it out. Slick. You are welcome.
Okay, enough from me. What say you, Deucemen? Opinions, please.
Jimmyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-23-2004, 01:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 2,318
DrHeathenScum wants to know Dino or Syn?
If you had an LED taillight, you wouldn't have to worry about the bulb burning out

good mods... good attention to detail... you got style
__________________

"43" Pantless Assclown
DrHeathenScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 124
snoman wants to know Dino or Syn?
Small details can make a big difference.
how about reversing the head light mounting block. it extends the bucket out a little further.
oval out the front fender mounting holes about 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch. This lets the front fender hug the tire closer.
S.E. pipes, Naw, there's much better looking/sounding pipes out there.
Factory seat, dump it, I'm a Mustang fan - big time!
Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck.
snoman
snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 130
02deuce99 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Some things I've Done

1: Started with Stage One Intake, and Pipes

2: Changed to corbin gunfighter seat.

3: Scraped the stock shocks and installed Legend air.

4: Chrome plated rear wheel, and drive pully.

5: Chrome Plated rear Swing arm.

6: Added SE axle covers.

7: Scraped the 17/160 rear for a SE 17/180

8: Chrome controls & buttons, and ness mirrors.

9: More, and More.

10: soon to come, a modified rear fender (Top Secret don't want anyone to copy me till I finish)

02deuce99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
IronButt
 
fourhour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: WustaMa, Where we pahk ah cahs!
Posts: 8,783
fourhour wants to know Dino or Syn?
Well I bought my Deuce because it was different from all the other bikes out there. What have I done? Holyshit batman, hold on!

Immediately got rid of the pegs and put the chrome/o ring ones on. Got the Deuce shifter linkage. Went with a solo seat and had "fourhour" painted on the fender cover. Did the tail-light mod and red lenses. Chrome axle covers, painted the swing-arm to match the red paint, upper-swing-arm covers, frame covers and the pivot bolt covers, lower chrome belt cover, pulley cover, engine and tranny cover, V&H Sideshorts, Big Sucka A/C kit, A/C paint kit, Console kit, Voltage Regulator cover, chromed my rear wheel, Have a kit to make the high beams flash during daylight, spark plug covers and I'm tired of thinking about them!

Future plans include, new grips/levers, hidden cables, extended controls, extended front forks, new front wheel and paint the frame. Next winter!

I keep track of my additions and quickly figure them to be in the $3,000 range.

Why all this? Because I can!

BTW snoman. I'm going to try that headlight mod. The license plate one I'm not sure of because I have a vanity plate that I pay a lot for and don't want to cover it up. But use a dremel to cut away the excess black plastic on the holder.
fourhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 10:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
IronButt
 
fourhour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: WustaMa, Where we pahk ah cahs!
Posts: 8,783
fourhour wants to know Dino or Syn?
02deuce? How you get that 180 tire on it? I was going with it but the kit was $750 and the swing-arm was another $550. Just didn't want to spend that kind of cash chasing a wider tire!

Ontario CA huh? Spent a few summers in Upland. Had family that lived just south of Foothill Blvd. Is the Seahorse still in downtown Upland?
fourhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 124
snoman wants to know Dino or Syn?
02deuce99
Howdy, is that Ontario CAlifornia or Ontario CAnada ,Eh ????
snoman
snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 130
02deuce99 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourhour
02deuce? How you get that 180 tire on it? I was going with it but the kit was $750 and the swing-arm was another $550. Just didn't want to spend that kind of cash chasing a wider tire!

Ontario CA huh? Spent a few summers in Upland. Had family that lived just south of Foothill Blvd. Is the Seahorse still in downtown Upland?
Don't spend the money!, just buy the same tire that is on the 04 SE Deuce (17/180), and mount it on your wheel. The clearance between the drive belt and the tire will be close, real close! but if it is not rubbing it is clearance.

The only thing I had to modiify is the belt gaurds, I had to grind a small amount off where the tire came close to be on the safe side.

I haven't been up in Upland in a long time but i think the Seahorse is gone.
02deuce99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 130
02deuce99 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman
02deuce99
Howdy, is that Ontario CAlifornia or Ontario CAnada ,Eh ????
snoman
California, I changed it.
02deuce99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 12:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt
 
fourhour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: WustaMa, Where we pahk ah cahs!
Posts: 8,783
fourhour wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02deuce99
Don't spend the money!, just buy the same tire that is on the 04 SE Deuce (17/180), and mount it on your wheel. The clearance between the drive belt and the tire will be close, real close! but if it is not rubbing it is clearance.

The only thing I had to modiify is the belt gaurds, I had to grind a small amount off where the tire came close to be on the safe side.

I haven't been up in Upland in a long time but i think the Seahorse is gone.
That belt clearance is what started the learning process. I had the 180 mounted and the mechanic looked at it and informed me of the close tolerance. We than found a bearing that would push the pulley a little closer to the frame but upon further info, learned that it required the larger swing-arm. Just got deeper and deeper. Never did get to see the SE with the 180 nd I looked for one too!

Good old memories of the Seahorse, from about '76 to '81 or so. Was a good local bar. I drove through Ontario about 4 years ago but did not stop. Family has moved to Oxnard and Camarillo. How could you not go to Upland? Is it a ghost town?

Thanks for the info on the tire. May do it after all!
fourhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 01:42 PM   #11 (permalink)
Seasoned Rider
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Dallas,TX
Posts: 57
ddeuce wants to know Dino or Syn?
JimmyV...
Looks like i have completed about 90% of your mods... Except for the license plate deal! I am going to go check that out right now..

Here is a picture of the DDeuce Beauty!
__________________
2002 FXSTD(I)

"It's all about Power"
ddeuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 02:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
IronButt
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Petaluma, CA
Posts: 2,318
DrHeathenScum wants to know Dino or Syn?
btw, I have an exchange program I just started for the Deuce plate holder... having them CNC machined down to a 4x7 plate size and you can put one of these on to cover all the exposed plastic backing: http://www.heavycycles.com/product_i...products_id=24

I have to see if I can dig up some pictures of a completed one.

-Joe
__________________

"43" Pantless Assclown
DrHeathenScum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 02:30 PM   #13 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 130
02deuce99 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourhour
That belt clearance is what started the learning process. I had the 180 mounted and the mechanic looked at it and informed me of the close tolerance. We than found a bearing that would push the pulley a little closer to the frame but upon further info, learned that it required the larger swing-arm. Just got deeper and deeper. Never did get to see the SE with the 180 nd I looked for one too!

Good old memories of the Seahorse, from about '76 to '81 or so. Was a good local bar. I drove through Ontario about 4 years ago but did not stop. Family has moved to Oxnard and Camarillo. How could you not go to Upland? Is it a ghost town?

Thanks for the info on the tire. May do it after all!
I live in the South West Ontario, seems like every time I head out I am hitting the 60, I think the last time I was in Upland was to get the taxes done, didn't go into the old downtown. I've been in this area since the late 60's sure has changed a lot.

If ya look at an 04 SE Deuce closely (take some measurement of yours) you will see they offset the tire C/L a little to the right to ge more clearance, there are several Deuce's running around here with 180's either with 18" wheels or like mine with stock wheel and SE 17/180. As I said it will be close but my belt has never rubbed the tire.
02deuce99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2004, 09:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt
 
fourhour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: WustaMa, Where we pahk ah cahs!
Posts: 8,783
fourhour wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02deuce99
I live in the South West Ontario, seems like every time I head out I am hitting the 60, I think the last time I was in Upland was to get the taxes done, didn't go into the old downtown. I've been in this area since the late 60's sure has changed a lot.

If ya look at an 04 SE Deuce closely (take some measurement of yours) you will see they offset the tire C/L a little to the right to ge more clearance, there are several Deuce's running around here with 180's either with 18" wheels or like mine with stock wheel and SE 17/180. As I said it will be close but my belt has never rubbed the tire.
How about the clearance inside the fender? The kit included new brackets. (look inside yours)
fourhour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 10:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
FNG :)
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Orange County CA
Posts: 8
Jimmyv wants to know Dino or Syn?
Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoman
Small details can make a big difference.
how about reversing the head light mounting block. it extends the bucket out a little further.
oval out the front fender mounting holes about 1/4 or 3/8 of an inch. This lets the front fender hug the tire closer.
S.E. pipes, Naw, there's much better looking/sounding pipes out there.
Factory seat, dump it, I'm a Mustang fan - big time!
Sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck.
snoman
I'm going to check out your headlamp mod, and front fender mod. Sounds interesting. As far as pipes go, the mechanics at the dealership said that SE pipes gave me more horsepower. That seemed to be the deciding factor. Were they bullsh#ting me? JimmyV
Jimmyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
(C)2001-2012 V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved (C)2001- V-twinForum.com All Rights Reserved
Motorcycle News, Videos and Reviews
Honda Grom Forum Harley Davidson Forum Honda 600RR Kawasaki Forum Yamaha R6 Forum Yamaha FZ-09 Forum
1199 Panigale Forum Roadglide Forum Honda CBR1000 Forum Vulcan Forum Yamaha R1 Forum Yamaha R3 Forum
Ducati Monster Forum Harley Forums Honda CBR250R Forum ZX10R Forum Star Raider Forum Yamaha Viking Forum
Suzuki GSXR Forum V-Rod Forums Honda Shadow Forum Kawasaki Motorcycle Forum Star Warrior Forum KTM Duke 390 Forum
SV650 Forum BMW S1000RR Forum Honda Fury Forum Kawasaki Versys Forum Drag Racing Forum Ducati 899 Panigale Forum
Suzuki V-Strom BMW K1600 Triumph Forum Victory Forums Sportbikes BMW NineT Forum
Volusia Forum BMW F800 Forum Triumph 675 Forum MV Agusta Forum HD Street Forum Suzuki GW250 Forum
Yamaha Motorcycles Victory Gunner Forum Honda Vultus Forum HD LiveWire Forum