Pic request: Fatboy / Heritage with forward controls : V-Twin Forum: Harley Davidson Forums
» Sponsors

» Insurance
Go Back   V-Twin Forum : Harley-Davidson Motorcycle Forums > General Discussion Forums > Harley-Davidson Softail
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2003, 12:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
IronButt

Curtis629 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Pic request: Fatboy / Heritage with forward controls

Thinking about swapping out my floorboards for forward controls this winter on my 87 Softail. Anybody done this? Got any pics? Do you like them better? I'm 6'4" and thought it might be a little more comfortable.
Thanks for any pics or advise.
Mike
Curtis629 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2003, 04:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

nodoze wants to know Dino or Syn?
1 of the first things I did when I got my Fatboy was replace the floorboards with regular (not extended) forward controls. I'm 6'0" and I think I should have put on the extended ones. Other than that, I'm happy with the forward controls. I did post a few pics a long time ago see thread: http://205.214.91.71/forums/showthre...threadid=19459
but here is a better picture:
nodoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
IronButt

streetrod wants to know Dino or Syn?
nodoze.....who makes the fender on the front of your bike?
streetrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
IronButt

Terrya12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nice bike and I like the front fender. What did you do with the stock rear fender?
Old 12-17-2003, 04:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Premium Member

The front fender is from Corbin. I had no problems with Corbin, but it did take 2-3 months for them to ship the fender. They did tell me right up front that it would take that long because of the production schedule.

The rear fender is a bobtail fender from Harley.

As for the original sheet metal, it is all packaged up & in storage in case I ever decide to go back to a stock apperance (yea right).
Old 12-18-2003, 09:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Discarded Crew Member

ktwillys wants to know Dino or Syn?
I rode my FatBoy for about a year with the floor boards and then bought a set of forward controls off a Duece. At the same time I put a Corbin seat that accepted a ride back rest on and it moved me forward about an inch and down about 2 inches. I then put the 3 inch extentions on the forward controls and have been very happy. I will post a pic today if I can find one that shows the forward controls well, if not I will take one.

Hey NoDoze,
How was the fit on the front fender and how much work was it putting on the bob tail?

To be old and wise,
you must first be young and stupid......
Here's to old and stupid....

Orthopedic Motto
Screw it, Glue it, or Nail it..

DisCarded Crew

04 FLTRI
SE Welded/Balanced Flywheel
103 CI
CP Hi-Comp Pistons
Andrews 54G Gear Drive Cams
S&S Hi-Lift Valve Springs
Timken Conversion
Baisley SuperSTock Heads
V&H True Dual Headers
Bassani Slip-on Mufflers
T-Max Ignition System
Feuling Oil Pump
Custom Feuling Cam Plate
ktwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 04:50 PM   #7 (permalink)
Premium Member

The front fender has almost zero clearance to the tire. When the tire picks up small rocks you can hear them scraping all the way around the inside of the fender. It is not a metal fender, so I'm not worried about damaging anything, but that noise really bugs me.

The rear fender wasn't too bad, the hardest part to the whole job is getting the wires out of the connectors. Once you figure out how to do that, the rest of the job goes pretty quick.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
IronButt

Terrya12 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Nodoze, whats the trick with the wires? I did it two years ago and have forgotten. I remember poking something and flicking anthother and out come a wire. Sounds like something else, he he. I might repaint this winter and started pulling the fender off till I started with the tail light. I got pisst at it and walked away. I need a Fat Boy or Heritage Springer rear fender 00 - 01 to get this look I put together of my bike with photoshop. Anyone have one forsale?

The pipes are dyno power upswept fishtails. I'm not into power just something that looks different. I have not seen these on any bikes yet, do they suck or is it an aquired taste? Saw them in a JP Cycle catalog thought they looked cool.

Last edited by Terrya12; 12-21-2003 at 12:20 AM.
Terrya12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 04:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Premium Member

You got it, but saying it & doing it are two different things. Once you get the first wire out & develope a feel for it, the wires do come out pretty easy.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
IronButt

slchog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Pics of my 96 Heritage Nostalgia with +2" Legend Classic forward controls.

Best thing I ever did for my bike.

Scott
Old 12-23-2003, 01:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
IronButt

kevsett wants to know Dino or Syn?
Fatboy/Heritage with forward controls

I'm 6' 4" and due to a L-5 disc injury in my teen years I need to stretch out on my 2000 FLSTC and have been thinking about other options instead of forward controls.

I'm guessing that a mustache bar or crash bars w/ pegs would get the job done without removing the stock floorboards and foot controls.

Anybody running a mustache bar or other similar equipment?

I've seen Lindby's crash bar/pegs setup in catalogs but, as with mustache bars/etc., I'm hoping to sit on someones already equipped FLSTC before I attempt a change.

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

Kevin
kevsett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
FNG :)

harley_d wants to know Dino or Syn?
Kev...

I have a Fatboy with Kuryakyn Mark III's .These are hwy pegs that mount directly to the floorboards and give you a good bit of extension without adding a crash bar.

I'll try to find a picture.
harley_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2003, 04:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
IronButt

slchog wants to know Dino or Syn?
Kev:

At your leg length you probably want to go with something like the Lindby's.

I am fairly tall also and had them on my FLSTN (forward controls on it now) and they worked out great..realize that at your height you wont find anything that you can put your feet on and stretch out..you will have to extend your legs and rest your ankle/calf on top of the bar.

I have that Lindby for sale but I don't think it will fit on your 2000..it came of my '96

HTH

Scott
Old 10-17-2004, 09:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
IronButt

Octain wants to know Dino or Syn?
need suggestions

I know this is an old thread but I had to bring it back, found it in a search.

I gotta do something this winter with the boards on my bike. Cant take turns worth a **** with these boards.
Its a 04 Fat Boy with stock boards and they gotta go. I need to find a way to gain more clearence in the sharp turns of the north Ga mountain roads.

What fits, if any from other softails?
What type of mods if any would need to be done?

Help me out here fellas.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
IronButt

Curtis629 wants to know Dino or Syn?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octain
I know this is an old thread but I had to bring it back, found it in a search.

I gotta do something this winter with the boards on my bike. Cant take turns worth a **** with these boards.
Its a 04 Fat Boy with stock boards and they gotta go. I need to find a way to gain more clearence in the sharp turns of the north Ga mountain roads.

What fits, if any from other softails?
What type of mods if any would need to be done?

Help me out here fellas.
Hey Octain, hows the rod holding up? Yours is an easy swap, the entire floorboard controls unbolt and you can bolt on any set for a 2000 or newer softail standard. You will probably need to buy a new breakline if you don't get one with the set. Fraziers probably has it in stock or any catalog carries them. Ebay has these complete factory forward controls set all the time for about $100-$175 bucks. The shifter rod will be the same for both set of controls. Let me know when you get the stuff together if you need some help bolting it up.
Later,
Mike
Advertisement